• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024, Stage 1: Florence (Firenze) - Rimini, 206.0k

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We need to bring back the ugly insect sunglasses and short socks

GRLTbltXYAE37br
great photo Lequack

But Pidock has never finished higher than 13th in a grand tour? I don't think Arensman is riding the Tour? This is the team according to CN:

Egan Arley Bernal Gomez
Carlos Rodríguez Cano
Michał Kwiatkowski
Geraint Thomas
Tom Pidcock
Jonathan Castroviejo Nicolas
Ben Turner
Laurens De Plus
I was talking about all the current squad, but nevertheless, Laurent de Plus will also be better than him since he doesn‘t have the Giro in the legs, and was 5th in the Dauphiné.

Pidcock never finished higher than 13th, but i am talking about the level they are showing this season.

W to E, i.e. tailing, besides not that much of gusts what I can find.
Most influential (besides the riders' initiative) will probably be the heat and then several of the descents in "the small Apennines" which they ride directly up from Florence.
A profile pic doesn't reveal much.
Especially the first one after 50k, the descent from Vacilo Tre Faggi invites for attacks with technical and convoluted slopes.
A thing for Pidders maybe?

Edit:
Besides, the roads through the Apennines are not exactly big wide highways - an endless path of twists and curls.
I would say from the 50K mark and up to 16K from the finish line (190K mark) it's a rather technical route that must be a treat for those with aim of breakaway victory.
IMO a perfect stage design with the last 16K for a pursuit from a decimated group of sprinters.
I.e. unless the race escalates into completely different stories before this point....
Hmm...!
Couldn't resist digging further into those hairy slopes.
I assume the DSs and their pathfinders have read the lesson thoroughly here.
The more I delve into it, the more technical I realize this stage is.
Almost a punishing technicality, serpentine turns, small towns with toxic edgy turns, smaller sections of steeper descents, small up/downs, etc.
This spread over a continous 140k stretch, right from the riders reach the first summit.
Just one example is the descent to the village of Novafeltria, a few hill climbs before reaching the bottom of the San Marino climb. Seems like a rollercoaster with a whopping drop at the beginning.
But there is way more of this.

Neither is anything visible on a forgiving stage profile, but there are enough notes to fill in the DS's road books...

Quite a stressing start for the riders with maybe not so many race kilometres in their legs...

Last edited:
Reactions: xo 1
Hmm...!
Couldn't resist digging further into those hairy slopes.
I assume the DSs and their pathfinders have read the lesson thoroughly here.
The more I delve into it, the more technical I realize this stage is.
Almost a punishing technicality, serpentine turns, small towns with toxic edgy turns, smaller sections of steeper descents, small up/downs, etc.
This spread over a continous 140k stretch, right from the riders reach the first summit.
Just one example is the descent to the village of Novafeltria, a few hill climbs before reaching the bottom of the San Marino climb. Seems like a rollercoaster with a whopping drop at the beginning.
But there is way more of this.

Neither is anything visible on a forgiving stage profile, but there are enough notes to fill in the DS's road books...

Quite a stressing start for the riders with maybe not so many race kilometres in their legs...
Add on 35C weather too and I guess the guys who crashed at Itzuila will be getting some nasty flashbacks. If guys stop thinking that they must be at the front, then maybe they'll make it to the finish. Hope everyone makes it to the line (although this being the first day of the travelling circus on the road, I fear some guys will be going home early)

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
I seem to be in the minority here but I expect the race will, if not explode, do the thing before an explosion.

It's not pre-2020. Grand Tour racing is pretty much full-on every stage. If any of the main GC teams start smashing it from the Cote de Barbotto onwards there's no chance for dropped riders to rejoin. The valleys are way too short.