• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024, Stage 13: Agen > Pau, 165.3 km

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I actually have participated in bunch sprints, not at 70km/u that's true, but anyways.

Van Gils was doing a leadout for De Lie, not sure what you're even trying to say. Just look at the overhead again. There's a pretty big gap on the left of Capiot, who stops for a second and then starts drifting to the left again. It's absolutely normal Van Gils goes for that gap. Plenty of room. Sure maybe the shoulder thing is a bit violent but is just a normal reflex to make sure you yourself don't crash into the barriers.
So then you know there's a lot of yelling in the bunch sprint telling guys that you're coming on the left. No need for the hard shoulder to send a guy hard to the ground.

Reactions: ManicJack
To me, both Van Gils and Capiot make mistakes.

Van Gils is doing a leadout but he's not really a leadout guy so perhaps understandable for him. His mistake is going for a closing gap, which might be worth the risk for a sprinter but isn't for him - De Lie probably gets blocked even if he himself squeezes through. Because Van Gils is low and Capiot has sat up his shoulder makes contact with Capiot's elbow which is why he falls dramatically to the left rather than getting knocked to the right.

Capiot looks left, must see Van Gils coming on that side yet then drifts that way. The only way I can explain that is if he's deliberately trying to block the path in which case it's hard to have much sympathy. Just keep your line!

Van Gils's reaction aside, it's incredibly dangerous to drift back like that so riders can't pass you (safely) on both sides. Once he was clear of the main group, he should have drifted back without looking over his shoulders, but instead make sure that he keeps his lane and goes straight.
Exactly. What's the first thing and the most frequent thing you hear riding in a pack?

"Hold your line!!!"

To me, both Van Gils and Capiot make mistakes.

Van Gils is doing a leadout but he's not really a leadout guy so perhaps understandable for him. His mistake is going for a closing gap, which might be worth the risk for a sprinter but isn't for him - De Lie probably gets blocked even if he himself squeezes through. Because Van Gils is low and Capiot has sat up his shoulder makes contact with Capiot's elbow which is why he falls dramatically to the left rather than getting knocked to the right.

Capiot looks left, must see Van Gils coming on that side yet then drifts that way. The only way I can explain that is if he's deliberately trying to block the path in which case it's hard to have much sympathy. Just keep your line!
You cannot judge someone's speed from looking behind for a brief moment.

Not mocking anyone for actually having raced a bike, but equating experiences that are most likely from industrial park cat 3 crits is worthless
I'd be interested to hear why someone's Cat 3 (incidentally that's where I raced) experience isn't more relevant than someone's "I watch it on TV" experience.

Putting yourself if the fray brings a WHOLE lotta experience and information about what goes on in a pack. Fundamentals are the same. Speed is very different.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jaylew
I'd be interested to hear why someone's Cat 3 (incidentally that's where I raced) experience isn't more relevant than someone's "I watch it on TV" experience.

Putting yourself if the fray brings a WHOLE lotta experience and information about what goes on in a pack. Fundamentals are the same. Speed is very different.
I'm scarred head to toe from putting myself into the fray in hundreds of elite/pro races and most of those scars came from bad decisions, mine or others, like we watched today.

Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
I'm scarred head to toe from putting myself into the fray in hundreds of elite/pro races and most of those scars came from bad decisions, mine or others, like we watched today.
And was the experience at that level fundamentally different? All I ever noticed was that it got safer the further up the rankings you went, because more people knew what they were doing. I would occasionally race Cat 2 with my team (never qualified, but was allowed) and it was so much cleaner than Cat 3. Guys knew what was up.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

Don't think anyone's experience is less valid. Today they are rolling at pretty significant speed, leaning on someone with your head ,shoulder, or hip happens all the time, arm and handlebar contact is all day long including in the sprint.
The same amount of contact that caused the crash happened in every race this week.. When the planets align you are going down. When it's your time it's your time.
In US racing your time is every forth or fifth race!!
And Belgian and German upgrade system is very very straight forward, same in France, if you win you move up, and when you win, it has to be at a race of minimum distance and a minimum field of @40-50 riders registered.
If you want to fix American racing take away social promotion and feel good bullschit. Get a Cat5 license, get 10 points move up.. 4 pts for a win, 3 for second,2 for 3rd and 1 for top ten. Bike handling and constant crashing solve themselves.. Have Cat2 and some 1s that are fashion clowns!! Winning should be the only path to upgrading.. Too many professional Cat3 riders with $10-15,000 bikes and no skills!!

Don't think anyone's experience is less valid. Today they are rolling at pretty significant speed, leaning on someone with your head ,shoulder, or hip happens all the time, arm and handlebar contact is all day long including in the sprint.
The same amount of contact that caused the crash happened in every race this week.. When the planets align you are going down. When it's your time it's your time.
Well I think zero experience is less valid, and the more experienced a racer is, the more valid I would say the commentary is, generally.

But agree on all the rest, 100%.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
And was the experience at that level fundamentally different? I ever noticed was that it got safer the further up the rankings you went, because more people knew what they were doing. I would occasionally race Cat 2 with my team (never qualified, but was allowed) and it was so much cleaner than Cat 3. Guys knew what was up.
That's true in general but field sprinting in pros is a completely different game.