• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France Femmes 2022 (July 24th-31st)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 1, 2022
Visit site
Something must have happened before the crash to distract her, or her brakes didn't work. I don't think anyone with full conscience would do this volantarily.
Interview of Eurosport with her

Reactions: Rechtschreibfehler
FYiLi3SXoAI54Zr

View: https://twitter.com/PlanturPura/status/1551633344152084480

• Sad
Reactions: Lui98 and MartinGT
Reactions: SafeBet
That reads as it was worded by a PR person, no mentioning of a "gaatje" anymore. Of course it wasn't intentional and I understand why statements are put out in that way but calling Cavalli just "the rider on the ground" is terrible.
Depersonalization of the victim seems like a kind of dehumanization more than relativization (of the accident). A pattern that Goebbels applied to a well-known extent.
Who's the PR officer in charge? A Gestapo trainee?

That reads as it was worded by a PR person, no mentioning of a "gaatje" anymore. Of course it wasn't intentional and I understand why statements are put out in that way but calling Cavalli just "the rider on the ground" is terrible.
Wasn't the rider on the ground the BEX rider (Spratt I think)? I thought Cavalli was on her feet before Frain ploughs through her almost from underneath as Cavalli was upright as she slows down and Frain had her head down and took her out from underneath, resulting in her flying up in the air and landing full speed smacking into the tarmac flat on her back.

I mean, if Frain was thinking she could avoid the standing Cavalli at speed, obviously she was wrong but it isn't totally unreasonable, but the chances of avoiding 'the rider on the ground' were nil.

Reactions: Andy262 and yaco
Also, why are there black sleeves on Lippert's jersey? It isn't as bad as some we've seen over the years (Leopard Trek, looking in your direction here) but you shouldn't be able to screw up the German champion's jersey.

Well they already screwed it up in the Sunweb days, so it's hardly a surprise. But maybe because I'm used to the Germans having black sleeves in biathlon, it doesn't bother me that much (although the template from the German federation has white sleeves on it), but the position of the flag is just appalling.

Stage 3: Reims - Épernay, 133.6 km

c24f4

1af3d

After a repeat of the old La Courses followed by a repeat of the Opi-Omi stage, comes now a repeat of the stage, on which Julian Alaphilippe's short-lived career as a GT contender began.

tour-de-france-femmes-2022-stage-3-climb-63e2d96b17.bmp

But before they get to toast in Champagne, the riders will head out from Reims. The first 35 km only features one categorised climb, the Côte de Trépail, but there are a lot of other shorter lumps where a breakaway could be formed. The route slowly flattens out on the way to the Côte de Vertus, which is on a narrow road.

CzLfUb7.png

jBzOOnU.png

The Côte du Mesnil-sur-Oger follows about 7 km later. The profile above is not totally accurate, because it leaves the D238 at some point, which the race won't.

The next 20 km takes the riders to the first crossing of the finish line. It features a few uphill sections, but the gradients are mostly shallow. In Épernay it gets interesting and a bit messy, because the route to the finish line isn't the same both times, but they are using some stretches twice, so I hope they make sure the riders get it right.

There is an intermeidate sprint in town after 112.5 km. The steep Côte de Mutigny, where Alaphilippe broke away 3 years ago, comes 4.5 km later.
cote-de-mutigny.png

In 2019, there was a bonus sprint on the top of Mutigny, but it has been moved to the top of Mont Berron this time. The top of it is just 4 km from the finish. It has sections of over 10% near the top.

da17005b-cc26-40d3-9c88-09012ea93136

The final 500 m are at 8%, but the middle section is at over 10%.

With the form she seems to be in, that shouldn't be too difficult for Marianne Vos, unless the race is ridden too hard beforehand. But with riders like Van Vleuten and Vollering having lost time already, we could very well see some aggressive racing on this stage, although there's a chance that some will want to take it easier with tomorrow's gravel stage in mind.

I was 2 minutes away from posting a writeup myself because nothing was up yet, good thing I wasn't slightly faster than I was then.

Here's my own profile of the finale. The hills are a little more irregular than I can show at this level of detail, this is especially true for the final kick to the finish line as it features multiple flat intersections, so you get steep section - flat stretch of 10 metres - steep section.
ARnEOgz.png

I was 2 minutes away from posting a writeup myself because nothing was up yet, good thing I wasn't slightly faster than I was then.

Here's my own profile of the finale. The hills are a little more irregular than I can show at this level of detail, this is especially true for the final kick to the finish line as it features multiple flat intersections, so you get steep section - flat stretch of 10 metres - steep section.
ARnEOgz.png

I'll allow you to do previwe for tomorrow, so I don't have to find pictures of the gravel sections :D

Here is the final of the 2019 stage. Question is if AG Insurance - NXTG will be able to put their Wolfpack intel to good use and replicate Ala's win.

View: https://youtu.be/Llik5Ylumuc?t=1140

Reactions: Jungle Cycle
It's all cool and dandy, but I'd rather have this bike race held, maybe the last two weeks of the men's Tour, have shortened stages, early start, and the casual fans will realize how good they are. While I applaud the re-birth of this event, these athletes deserve better than the "Tour de 1429 France".

A week ago, Jeannie Longo was the special guest at a regional race, won the ITT, and fared well in the open road race. Age 63 and beating 20 year-olds. These women are that good, and the public doesn't realize it. Only pairing with men's events can bring enough exposure.

I watched today's stage, That was serious and congrats Marianne. You're a legend of the sport.

It's all cool and dandy, but I'd rather have this bike race held, maybe the last two weeks of the men's Tour, have shortened stages, early start, and the casual fans will realize how good they are. While I applaud the re-birth of this event, these athletes deserve better than the "Tour de 1429 France".

I see your point, but I also think it's cool that this is an (mainly) independent event, rather than just being the "warmup" for the guys.
Also, there's the possibility that the organisers were planning to basically go "But, wait. There's more!" after the men's race, and hoping TV stations around the world would do the same. Danish TV2 definitely did; reminding people that just because the men's race was done, didn't mean they would stop showing cycling for the next week.

I don’t understand Longo Borghini yesterday - Trek had apparently pre-planned the move to attack after the first passage of the finish line, in order to gain time in GC.
They manage to do that perfectly, getting both ELB & Balsamo into a motivated break; Balsamo then pulls to maximise the time gain - perfect.

Then when Balsamo swings off empty, ELB puts in a pointless attack, gets caught and sits up & looks around, bleeding time to the chase. If the plan was to gain in GC, why didn’t she ignore the stage win and simply ride hard to the line? Perhaps cojole Kasia into helping so that they both gain time…in the end, she threw away about 15 seconds of the gains they’d made…

Reactions: Unterlenkerfahrend

TRENDING THREADS