• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 2 Brussels - Spa, 192 km Monday, July 5 2010

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
I am pretty sure the vast majority of non Schleck fans shares my opinion :rolleyes:

That's fine but i'd say your opinion is based on your dislike for Cancellara and the Schlecks rather than what actually happened and to be honest i'm not a particular fan of either Schleck.

And the fact you have ignored my main points tells me your just holding onto some obscure belief due to your dislike of certain riders. Try actually answering the entire post and looking at the situation objectively :rolleyes:

Bavarianrider said:
That was unsportsmanship behavior at it's worst. Most disgusting thing i've ever whitnesses in a cycling race.

Tonkov/Cav flipping off the crowd at the 2004 Giro/Romandie 2010?
Davide Rebellin calling his Olympic medal "a victory for clean cycling"?
Theo Bos delivers a flying back suplex to Daryl Impey?
Mark Renshaw throwing headbutts then trying to put people into the barriers at full sprint speed?
Carlos Barredo taking the wheel out of his bike and beating Rui Costa around the head with it?
Lance Armstrong chasing down Filippo Simeoni?
Contador and Leipheimer let Mosquera break everybody, sitting on his wheel all the way to Fuentes de Invierno without ever taking a single turn, then nip out in the last 150m to take the 1-2?

Plenty of things as bad as the Cancellara/Schleck neutralisation, if not worse.

The thing that irked me about this stage (and still does!) is the double standards. A great example comes from the '99 TDF when a crash in an early stage resulted in about half the field (including many of the favourites) losing a huge amount of time (Zulle, who was Armstrong's main opposition, lost 6 minutes!); and this mayhem happened early in the stage - yet low and behold, there was no waiting; quite the opposite actually! I was angry with Lance in this stage from last year too, for I feel that he may have been a part of the whole let's stop racing thing too - simply because it benefitted him to do so. Again he contradicted himself, for going into the TDF he was going with the theory that numerous riders could lead this Radioshack team; but really only HE wanted to lead them no matter what. In this stage the Shack had a good situation, with Kloden in the front group following all of the mayhem (sure, Klodi probably didn't have the form to be a podium contender, be we didn't know that at the time) with very few other GC riders alongside of him (Evans was there I remember). That group with Fabian had close to 2 minutes on the AC and Lance group. Cadel actually could have finished 2nd last year, wiping out the Schleck's on that stage and if not crashing later on; I think he could have been competitive enough against Menchov to hold his 2nd place. And then on top of the whole waiting thing, Fabian insisted that they not sprint at the end of the stage, which was even more BS. It still makes me so mad!

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
woodie said:
Um what? Over half the field crashed, over half, waiting for people to regroup was absolutely the right thing to do, it's good to see some unity among the riders. The conditions were dangerous and they made a decision, we should respect that.

Remember these guys ride their bikes to make a living, they support themselves and their families by racing their bikes, yes its dangerous, i know that, but they need to be able to say 'no this is too dangerous'

They made a decision? They were the crew onboard Riis car. And they made an unrespectable decision.

Menchov, Hushovd and Sastre should have shown Fabo their middle finger.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
icefire said:
They made a decision? They were the crew onboard Riis car. And they made an unrespectable decision.

Menchov, Hushovd and Sastre should have shown Fabo their middle finger.

They could have but they didn't. They had the numbers and could've kept riding but decided to stop like everyone else. Yes cancellara and riis made the suggestion but ultimately everyone else agreed so yeah the peloton made a decision.

They were trying to get the point across that safety needs to be considered as they felt it hadnt been in that situation. Just because you don't like the decision doesn't mean it's 'unrespectable'.

At the end of the day all the riders decided to stop racing and whether we like it or not it's happened already so there is no point to keep whining about it and from what I can tell this thread was restarted based on the hatred of a couple of riders instead of the actual event.

woodie said:
They could have but they didn't. They had the numbers and could've kept riding but decided to stop like everyone else. Yes cancellara and riis made the suggestion but ultimately everyone else agreed so yeah the peloton made a decision.

They were trying to get the point across that safety needs to be considered as they felt it hadnt been in that situation. Just because you don't like the decision doesn't mean it's 'unrespectable'.

At the end of the day all the riders decided to stop racing and whether we like it or not it's happened already so there is no point to keep whining about it and from what I can tell this thread was restarted based on the hatred of a couple of riders instead of the actual event.

Nice to know that I have kick started something. :D

Though I didn't start it because of any hatred for the Schleck's. I don't mind them and am quite bemused by the many who do on this forum!

But I certainly disliked Fabian for what he did there, plus the thing with Cadel from '09.

The riders were trying to get the point across that their safety needs to be considered: that's fair enough.

But like others have said, this type of course is raced on every year in the classics. And it was included in last years parcours (along with the cobbles) with the view of potentially causing gaps in the GC. Now we know that these gaps were going to be caused by 'unfair' reasons - it was always going to be somewhat of a lottery. The TDF should either have these lotteries - and allow WHATEVER outcomes they throw up - or they should stick to flat stages with only time trials and high mountains to separate GC. You can't be applauded for putting in an interesting parcours only to neautralise it because of crashes - which were the only things that were going to make it really interesting in the first place.

There was no point in the riders neutralising the stage 2 situation after all the carnage had happened, because the dangerous sections of the course had been passed (I'm pretty sure). The only danger that was left was that the TDF GC might have been looking VERY interesting!

I'd forgotten that Menchov and Gessink were up there. There were other strong riders too, such as Rogers and Martin. Pushing on, that group might have gained a minute on the AC group, and at least 3 minutes on the Schleck's (even allowing for FB dropping back to help out in the last 20 kms). I've speculated that Evans could have finished on the podium without his bad luck, but what about Menchov? Could he have won it all last year?

Perhaps after working so hard in stage 2 FB can't push quite as strongly on stage 3, and Menchov doesn't lose as much time (can't remember what he lost). With Andy's yellow jersey dream gone he doesn't race as well and hard on Tourmalet - remember that he did all the work for AC there as he gained 2 minutes on DM. Perhaps he only gains 1 minute on Menchov without Andy's help?

AC wouldn't have stuffed around on Ax3-domaines under different circumstances, but still, it's something to consider.

gregrowlerson said:
But like others have said, this type of course is raced on every year in the classics. And it was included in last years parcours (along with the cobbles) with the view of potentially causing gaps in the GC. Now we know that these gaps were going to be caused by 'unfair' reasons - it was always going to be somewhat of a lottery. The TDF should either have these lotteries - and allow WHATEVER outcomes they throw up - or they should stick to flat stages with only time trials and high mountains to separate GC. You can't be applauded for putting in an interesting parcours only to neautralise it because of crashes - which were the only things that were going to make it really interesting in the first place.

The race wasn't neutralised by the organisers - all time gaps stood, which is why Chavanel took over the maillot jaune.