• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 5: Carhaix - Cap Fréhel 164.5 km

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Stage 5 - A sprints stage - unless the wind is up from the coast and the the word of the day will be echelons
CARTE.gif

Weather can be seen here - http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/cap_frehel at the moment at 17.00 tomorrow we are looking at wind of 14 knots with gusts of 20 knots.

PROFIL.gif

PROFILKMS.jpg

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
This is going to be a ripper of a stage imo. I said since the route was unveiled that this could split the race apart.

Thank goodness we have you here to state the obvious ;)

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Very important if it´s windy - hope so and can I also hope Andy is in the 3rd group is that too much to hope for- all other GC guys in the 1st including Frank

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
Very important if it´s windy - hope so and can I also hope Andy is in the 3rd group is that too much to hope for- all other GC guys in the 1st including Frank

Oh, I would love to see that. I am sure that Phil and Paul would have some great reason for why the very smart Andy would allow that to happen.

There are still a lot of guys within a lot of minutes on GC so unless all the guys in the break are a long way down then Garmin wont let them get too far ahead. This makes it easier then for the sprinters' teams (which includes Garmin) to pull them back closer to the line.

Could be a very fast stage too with the wind behind them for a lot of the way and a relatively small total distance of 164km(103 miles)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
If this was like 15 years ago you could have bet that a few riders will lose the Tour tomorrow. But these day it'll just be softpedaling till the last 10km as always:(

You werent even alive 15 years ago.

I dont expect anything special, if they didnt hammer it down after the bridge yesterday, there is no way someone will try to rip it up tomorrow.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Frosty said:
There are still a lot of guys within a lot of minutes on GC so unless all the guys in the break are a long way down then Garmin wont let them get too far ahead. This makes it easier then for the sprinters' teams (which includes Garmin) to pull them back closer to the line.

Could be a very fast stage too with the wind behind them for a lot of the way and a relatively small total distance of 164km(103 miles)

Tyler looked tired today - hope he up and running again tomorrow

May 25, 2010
Visit site
He sprinted for the intermediate and took it easy on the climb, a day gone to plan imo.

I really think we're seeing starting to see a hierachy with these intermediate sprints, I'll bet ACF's Cadel fanboyism that Hushovd is the Garmin rider going for the intermediate sprint tomorrow. Will Pettachi or Boonen start contesting? Well if they were targetting the Green they better get cracking.

Does anyone (Dim?) have the guidebook with the finish in it? How technical is it?

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
A Cav win is probably needed to keep the Green Jersey interesting. Hopefully Gilbert gets involved to make it a four way battle with Farrar and Rojas.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
If there's any crosswinds whatsoever, look for Leopard to put the hammer down.

Contador, Schlecks, Evans, Gesink, etc. all need to pay major attention tomorrow.

TOM BOONEN TO WIN.

Hopefully no crashes, just echelons and lots of them! (With Andy in front, of course :p)

TRENDING THREADS