• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 5: Carhaix - Cap Fréhel 164.5 km

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Greipel is furious with Gilbert. Gilbert was supposed to help him in the sprints and now Gilbert went for his own chance.

Greipel went into the bus without saying anything and looked angry, according to the Belgian teletext...

Well Gilbert is making many friends at his team

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Greipel is furious with Gilbert. Gilbert was supposed to help him in the sprints and now Gilbert went for his own chance.

Greipel went into the bus without saying anything and looked angry, according to the Belgian teletext...

TeamGilbert?

Greipel today, VDB yesterday. Not very good PR for Gilbert.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I am correct. ;)

The picture in the road book is wrong, the text next to it correct. Thanks ASO. !

Ah, so it was the cartographers fault. :D

We've had news on the intermediate sprint, what about Punching Petacchi?

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Connor Pass said:
Rojas and Boonen declassified from the Intermediate Sprint.

Gilbert back in green.

What did Boonen do wrong? Rojas went to the left so that Boonen had to leave his line. Rojas didn't allow him to hold his line. But I expected that decision.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Damage report Gesink: Back problems seem to be the most troubling.

He said he was behind Brajkovic and Brajkovic fell first, Gesink went on top of him
The guy should just focus on races without nervous sprint stages... the Vuelta a Burgos or stuff like that. Three Tours, three serious crashes in the first week. The only GT he managed to get through relatively unscathed is his first Vuelta.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Janjapan said:
What did Boonen do wrong? Rojas went to the left so that Boonen had to leave his line. Rojas didn't allow him to hold his line. But I expected that decision.

Boonen then got ahead of Rojas and drifted back across the road. Rojas got penalised for drifting left, Boonen for drifting right immediately afterwards.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I'm starting to dislike Gilbert. When you're so dominant, you have to remain a super cool saint or you start rubbing people the wrong way.

Of course, the finish suited Gilbert better than Greipel so the DS should have sorted it out beforehand.

theyoungest said:
The guy should just focus on races without nervous sprint stages... the Vuelta a Burgos or stuff like that. Three Tours, three serious crashes in the first week. The only GT he managed to get through relatively unscathed is his first Vuelta.
And again he couldn't help or prevent the fall in any way.

He is just born to be unlucky I guess.

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Thank God Im alive & in one piece! Stupidest stage I've ever done!! @ASO this was not okay. Hope that nobody are hurt to bad!
- Jakob Fuglsang

I have done a few #tdf but until know the parcours and specially the last kilometers has nothing to do with racing.it is so dangergous.
- Fabian Cancellara

Crazy dangerous finish.I know that everybody wanna see a great show and specacle but I believe we have to find the right balance of show and safty
- Fränk Schleck

Interestingly, all the crashes occured at relatively flat and straight sections of the route. I don't think you can blame the organizers for that.

According to Contador's twitter, he should be fine:

Thanks for your interest. I'm fine after the fall. Now with ice throughout the body, I'll pass not a good night, but tomorrow all out...:)

Any news on the other GC victims? Gesink backpains? Too soon to tell whether or not it's going to be a problem i suppose?

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Janjapan said:
Interestingly, all the crashes occured at relatively flat and straight sections of the route. I don't think you can blame the organizers for that.

Hmm, hard to resist saying something about Leopard after those comments, but I guess I will leave it to some others here.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Janjapan said:
- Jakob Fuglsang

- Fabian Cancellara

- Fränk Schleck

Interestingly, all the crashes occured at relatively flat and straight sections of the route. I don't think you can blame the organizers for that.[/QUOTE

That noone crashed on that finish run in was just dumb luck. Actually, most crashes with winds happen on narrow roads; particularly when you've got 180+ guys, spectators dashing across the road like chickens on crack/dropping stuff...most guys would be a little irritated after that experience. Except Cav.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
Then you should know that elbowing and butting is what you do to encourage errant riders who are straying from their line - it is straying from their line that is far more dangerous.

Butting is not - it just upsets armchair fans who want cycling to be like netball.

Big words, but if you really raced and sprinted for the flowers you would know that after the finish your colleagues have "words" with you if you act like a cowboy.

Headbutting is not that common nor is it accepted at club to elite level.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Any news on the other GC victims? Gesink backpains? Too soon to tell whether or not it's going to be a problem i suppose?
Well, he said that his teammates got him through the stage, because he lost all morale, which must mean something because the guy has had his share of crashes :eek:

I think we can write him off as a GC favourite.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Btw in case this hasnt been posted yet:

The motorcyclist who drove into Nicki Sørensen was thrown out of the Tour. Supposedly he was sacked over the radio immitiately after the incident by Prudhomme.

Well-deserved imo. He drove recklessly.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Janjapan said:
- Jakob Fuglsang

- Fabian Cancellara

- Fränk Schleck

I'm sorry, but Trek Leopard is really a bunch of whiny b**ches. Fabian, why didn't you try to neutralize the stage then you big prima donna.

TRENDING THREADS