• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 6: Montargis - Gueugnon, 225 km

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Stage 6 - Friday, July 9 2010, Montargis - Gueugnon, Distance 225 km

gr215375_600.jpg

gr214483_600.jpg

Time for the next stage. This one is pretty long.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
EBH getting third.

lol,

maybe ebh in a break and winner? he has the strength and i can't see him helping wiggins in the hills, should have the day to himself, wiggins has flecha, cummings, thomas, gerrans, lofqvist to help

having said that, maybe gerrans, mmmmm?

The Hitch said:
day before the alps. Are columbia willing to put in the energy needed to get a breakaway back? I think break will stay away. If not, Cav.

It's not just HTC that will want a chance at the stage - Lampre, Cervelo and Garmin... none of them have much going on for GC - they need to win stages. So we won't see Shack, Sky, Astana, BMC ec hammering off the front (unless there is a cross wind!)

Unless I'm missing something

180mmCrank said:
It's not just HTC that will want a chance at the stage - Lampre, Cervelo and Garmin... none of them have much going on for GC - they need to win stages. So we won't see Shack, Sky, Astana, BMC ec hammering off the front (unless there is a cross wind!)

Unless I'm missing something

Im repeating largely what Stephen Roche said on Eurosport. And the turns at the front today were something like 80% columbia 20% everyone else. (again its what was said and shown on eurosport, though they might be wrong).

So it seems that Htc were the ones doing most of the chasing with other teams more reluctant to contributeand im suggesting that they may be a bit tired + might want to conserve a bit of energy for rogers.
Cervelo have no intention of contributing since it suits them for a breakaway to take potential cavendish points.
Garmin did very little work at the front today and farrar might still not be in top form so why would they treat stage 6 any differently
Lampre might contribute, but arent that strong and with their 2 wins already, why would they put more work in for 6 than they did for 5.

Also if they waste too much energy they might find it more painful to meet the time requirments in the alps (remember cav cursing at ricco that ricco was, um , going to fast so cav had to waste more energy in getting to the finish in the required time).

and the course is hilly ish so will take more effort to catch the break.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
My wildcard tip stage 6 is Arashiro.

Yes I'm a little biased as I have some Japanese connections (and the fact that he deliberately threw me his bidon last year coming back down after doing Andorra Arcalis last year - i might have cheered for him a bit on the way up ;)).

I know it sounds far fetched but here's my reasoning:
1. a breakaway has a good chance tomorrow as the main GC teams will(?) be saving themselves for the alps (and Cav's bunch may be a little tired after last two days).
2. Arashiro publicly announced he was aiming to be in the breakaway on stage 5 - didn't happen and Japanese honour will make him more determined :)
3. if he is in the breakaway and it succeeds he's a half decent sprinter
4. I just really want it to happen just to see the japanese go crazy about tdf.

Before you tear me down, I did say it was a wildcard. If you look at the profile it's a lot bumpier than what your first impressions may be so a breakaway has a good chance if they get the right mix. Anyway here's hoping.

P.S. first post - woohoo. Long time lurker and really wanted to post some stuff over last few days but unfortunately my opinions were a little strong for a first post ;)

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Like your choice Rooboy - Arashiro did promise an attack today, so he owes us one. He just needs to take one of the mad Katusha boys (like Ivanov) as they're always up for it. A couple more to share the workload and who knows.

Hopefully no-one too interested in the chase as the game changes at the weekend.

I can but dream of a staggered finish - the next time I want to see Cav sprinting is when he's trying to make a time cut!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
It's not just HTC that will want a chance at the stage - Lampre, Cervelo and Garmin... none of them have much going on for GC - they need to win stages. So we won't see Shack, Sky, Astana, BMC ec hammering off the front...
Sky has way too many potent stage winners to waste on Wiggins. Team management would be stupid to corral Lovkvist, Boasson-Hagen and Thomas for a fantasy.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Im repeating largely what Stephen Roche said on Eurosport. And the turns at the front today were something like 80% columbia 20% everyone else. (again its what was said and shown on eurosport, though they might be wrong).

So it seems that Htc were the ones doing most of the chasing with other teams more reluctant to contributeand im suggesting that they may be a bit tired + might want to conserve a bit of energy for rogers.
Cervelo have no intention of contributing since it suits them for a breakaway to take potential cavendish points.
Garmin did very little work at the front today and farrar might still not be in top form so why would they treat stage 6 any differently
Lampre might contribute, but arent that strong and with their 2 wins already, why would they put more work in for 6 than they did for 5.

Also if they waste too much energy they might find it more painful to meet the time requirments in the alps (remember cav cursing at ricco that ricco was, um , going to fast so cav had to waste more energy in getting to the finish in the required time).

No teams worked today because everybody knew Columbia want that first win really badly. Tomorrow it will be much more balanced.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Rooboy said:
My wildcard tip stage 6 is Arashiro.

Yes I'm a little biased as I have some Japanese connections (and the fact that he deliberately threw me his bidon last year coming back down after doing Andorra Arcalis last year - i might have cheered for him a bit on the way up ;)).

I know it sounds far fetched but here's my reasoning:
1. a breakaway has a good chance tomorrow as the main GC teams will(?) be saving themselves for the alps (and Cav's bunch may be a little tired after last two days).
2. Arashiro publicly announced he was aiming to be in the breakaway on stage 5 - didn't happen and Japanese honour will make him more determined :)
3. if he is in the breakaway and it succeeds he's a half decent sprinter
4. I just really want it to happen just to see the japanese go crazy about tdf.

Before you tear me down, I did say it was a wildcard. If you look at the profile it's a lot bumpier than what your first impressions may be so a breakaway has a good chance if they get the right mix. Anyway here's hoping.

P.S. first post - woohoo. Long time lurker and really wanted to post some stuff over last few days but unfortunately my opinions were a little strong for a first post ;)

not that crazy mate he finished off nicely yesterday..i reckon a quickstep rider will try an go in the break an sandy caser is my rough pick for the stage....

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If the break wins im going with Lars BOOM. If a sprint ( think its uphill finish so decision based on that) then going with Ciolek, Cav, Freire

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
turtlesoup said:
If the break wins im going with Lars BOOM. If a sprint ( think its uphill finish so decision based on that) then going with Ciolek, Cav, Freire

Finish isn't uphill. If anything it's a slight downhill with a small bump for 400m.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Nic Roche from a break.

Hope it's a boring one as I'm at Silverstone all day. Hence being awake at 5 'o' bloody clock.

Would love that but reckon he's a bit high up on GC to be let go.

Arashiro's a good shout, also expect to see some or all of the following:
Tommy Voeckler, an Euskatel rider, a Footon rider, Lars Boom, Stephane Auge...

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Maybe Milram will chase?