• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 7: Tournus - Station des Rousses 165.5km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think this bluffing stuff is being overplayed as a result of Astana's tactic with its climbing domestiques over the last two flat stages. There was nothing to be gained by Kloden bluffing today, since it eliminated him as a card to be played.

Gauging from AC's tweet, I think he was fine. Hot, but fine.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
[

Or were you asking about Armstrong?[/QUOTE]

No the main man of the race is my concern Just really curious as to how much time he will try to get back. I just dont think the grade is steep enough to make a substanstial gap till the real hard stuff comes along. I like like a good race and all but i really want him to kick the **** out of The uniballer:D and schleckette

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Bluffing??? LMAO.

If Kloden was bluffing, then the peloton called it, because Kloden lost time. The most charitable you could say is that Kloden was resting for tomorrow. But even that is unlikely. He could have finished in a large group, instead he dropped to ... finish in a different group?

The simplest explanation likely comes closest to the truth. He was cooked and couldn't deal with the heat. It doesn't bode well for the Pyrenees.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
balkou said:
what an humiliation: Le mevel catching and dropping Cunego :D

That was sad I had pretty high expectations with Il Principe Cunego today... when he attacked I was cheering at him and I was so happy but suddenly he went out of gas and didn't go further... he don't even finish with the group of El Pistolero...

Cobblestones said:
I am stunned. Footon rider 2nd!!! So I'll stop making fun of them (for a while).

And congrats to Sylvain and QS!

They are going to give a surprise in one of those breakaways... Valls did it great today... at some moment I though that he would reach and pass Chavanel but at the end he went out of gas too and Chavanel lights on the diesel engine to have a gap bigger looking for the next stage...

hamperium said:
not that much action 2day
but fabian lost his yellow
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamperium_espana/4759133729/

Not much action?? for me this was a pretty moved stage... of course the GC contenders didn't move too much but the battle at the end and the attacks were pretty good...

hrotha said:
Valls 2nd and Capecchi 10th. Ha!

Not sure what Garmin was doing towards the end?

Also, what the hell, Liquigas? Did their domestiques take a day off, like Klödi?

These shenanigans are way too complicated for me. Just ride at 100%, damnit! I don't want to have to second-guess everything.

I have that question too... what the heck happen with the Liquigas domestiques??? maybe Basso sent them to rest but... I don't know maybe the heat touched them a little bit... I want to know what Basso is going to say...

hrotha said:
Agreed. Klöden wasn't good (deliberately or not), the others were where you would expect them to be (yes even Popo). I'd be more concerned about Liquigas and Saxo, frankly.

On the bright side, I didn't expect Sky to do so decently today!

Kloeden were really struggling today... the heat screwed him really hard... tomorrow in the Ramaz we are going to see if he was bluffing or what...

perico said:
Not looking good today:

Kloden at 4'
Karpets at 4'
Monfort at 4'
Popo at 10'
Fuglsang at 12'59
De La Fuente 14'12
T. Martin at 19'14

Look at Martin and he is supposed to help Rogers in the mountains... Rogers should be worry about this...

I don't think Klöden was resting. Popo and Paulinho, I can see, but there's no point in throwing away a potential contender like that (yes, Armstrong is the absolute leader, but Bruyneel isn't a moron, he knows the most cards he can use, the better, as long as those cards allow themselves to be played). But it's weird that Liquigas only had Basso and Kreuziger there, and I'd expect Saxo to have more guys in a group like that (certainly Fuglsang, and in a pinch people like Voigt and Nicki could be there too).

But frankly, the most likely explanation is that they didn't have the legs. Some may have decided to take it easy after realizing they didn't have the legs, but that's still significant.
That was sad I had pretty high expectations with Il Principe Cunego today... when he attacked I was cheering at him and I was so happy but suddenly he went out of gas and didn't go further... he don't even finish with the group of El Pistolero...
Cunego was going for the stage win. Once Chavanel and Valls were gone, there was no point in riding hard.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
What the heck happened to Saxo? Those guys were way far back with Spartacus. They only needed to leave 1 with Spartacus, did not look good for them...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
What the heck happened to Saxo? Those guys were way far back with Spartacus. They only needed to leave 1 with Spartacus, did not look good for them...

Andy hopes everyone is better tomorrow, for sure. RS had everyone there that should have except Kloden which was surprising to me. I thought he'd still be somewhere in the mix intil the last week. Tomorrow could be rough.

Cobblestones said:
Bluffing??? LMAO.

If Kloden was bluffing, then the peloton called it, because Kloden lost time. The most charitable you could say is that Kloden was resting for tomorrow. But even that is unlikely. He could have finished in a large group, instead he dropped to ... finish in a different group?

The simplest explanation likely comes closest to the truth. He was cooked and couldn't deal with the heat. It doesn't bode well for the Pyrenees.

Even simpler. He didn't "prepare" for today because he didn't think he would be needed. I predict you will see a different Klody tomorrow.

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
i was really surprised to see garate attacking. what the hell rabo are doing? garate is the only guy, who can help ges and menchov in the mountains and today they let him go:confused: it was clear, that's he is is not beating chavanel, but he kept pushing till the finish. dissapointing tactics by the rabo team. no respect for Denis, 3-time GT winner, he was riding all day alone today, while Ges had 2-3 supporters.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Even simpler. He didn't "prepare" for today because he didn't think he would be needed. I predict you will see a different Klody tomorrow.

De Mol said that Klöden was complaining the entire day about stomach problems

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Andy hopes everyone is better tomorrow, for sure. RS had everyone there that should have except Kloden which was surprising to me. I thought he'd still be somewhere in the mix intil the last week. Tomorrow could be rough.

I think if Kloeden loses one more minute his role in the tour will be to become a mule, pulling Leipheimer and Armstrong up the tougher climbs coming up later. Kloeden has got to be sick.

Delicato said:
Vinokourov should win this.

The Hitch said:
You really think he is that big a favourite for tomorow?

Delicato said:
Sure. That kind of terrain suits him (he is a power climber) and his attacking style.

theyoungest said:
If the winner doesn't come from a breakaway (which I expect) Vino is an obvious pick. It's a good climb for him to power away on.

Yep, what an attack and stage victory from Vino , blew the whole peloton away:rolleyes:

Nickbeam said:
i was really surprised to see garate attacking. what the hell rabo are doing? garate is the only guy, who can help ges and menchov in the mountains and today they let him go:confused: it was clear, that's he is is not beating chavanel, but he kept pushing till the finish. dissapointing tactics by the rabo team. no respect for Denis, 3-time GT winner, he was riding all day alone today, while Ges had 2-3 supporters.
Garate asked Menchov if he could go. Menchov said it was OK. BTW, Menchov chooses to ride in the bunch a bit more, whereas Gesink likes to be near the front, with a few teammates around him. That's just the way they ride. Which BTW is also how you could see that Gesink wasn't feeling too well on that final climb, as he was riding in the back of the group. After the stage he said that the heat was really too much for him.

And now Rabo have 3 riders in the top-25. Yes, awful tactics.

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Garate asked Menchov if he could go. Menchov said it was OK. BTW, Menchov chooses to ride in the bunch a bit more, whereas Gesink likes to be near the front, with a few teammates around him. That's just the way they ride.

And now Rabo have 3 riders in the top-25. Yes, awful tactics.

it's good, if he asked. garate in the top 25? doesn't make any sense. i don't agree with you. btw i don't see any sense in pushing till the finish, it was clear, that he's not gonna catch chavanel. imo.
and what i didn't like, is that Ges and Denis had to go for the water themselves :)

Nickbeam said:
it's good, if he asked. garate in the top 25? doesn't make any sence? i don't agree with you. btw i don't see any sense in pushing till the finish, it was clear, that he's not gonna catch chavanel. imo.
Yes, it's a bit strange, but he gambled a bit, he thought Chavanel wouldn't stay away. So then he tried to... I don't know... make use of his good legs?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
What the hell kind of tactical genius is Johan to assign Levi (of all people) to "keep an eye on Vinokourov"? :rolleyes:
"I really had to keep my eye on Vino on the last climb because we can't afford to let him go without one of us and my job is to look after him," said Leipheimer at the finish.

What the hell does Johan propose for Levi to do, should the necessity arise for Vino to need controlling? He can't follow a full-on Vino attack. He certainly can't keep Vino from throwing elbows at RSH domestiques like in Crit.Int. Is Levi supposed to try to steal Vino's bottle? Radio back to Johan that Vino is being a bad boy? What? :rolleyes: :D :p

"Look after him" is right. Levi will be watching while Vino disappears up the road in a cloud of dust.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Nickbeam said:
it's good, if he asked. garate in the top 25? doesn't make any sence. i don't agree with you. btw i don't see any sense in pushing till the finish, it was clear, that he's not gonna catch chavanel. imo.

Well seems to be that Rabobank wants to have some cards to play... Menchov, Gesink and Garate looks as a nice trio to play...

Well besides that... the debate about Vino attacking to win the stage has passed... Everybody with a minimun knowledge about cylcling knows that Vino is not going to attack in a stage like this one... Well a missed the predictions too... I said that Liquigas was going to hammer in the last climb, that Cunego was going to win the stage and Taaramae will fight for KOM jersey... I totally missed the results :D

Who is going to create the post to start making our predictions? come on ppl... lets give our potentials winners and the darkhorses =D