• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de l'Avenir 2022 (August 18-28)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good but not great. I think they will be just outside the top 5.
EDIT: Currently 7th at +/- 55s from Germany. Less than 10s ahead of France.
Thanks for the info. Honestly, only 2 guys on that team are actually good TTers (Milesi and Piganzoli), after them a sprinter like Bruttomesso is probably their best rider for the TTT. Could have gone better, could have gone worse, but all things considered it's not that bad. They would have been a lot better if they had Garofoli and Frigo on the team.

Thanks for the info. Honestly, only 2 guys on that team are actually good TTers (Milesi and Piganzoli), after them a sprinter like Bruttomesso is probably their best rider for the TTT. Could have gone better, could have gone worse, but all things considered it's not that bad. They would have been a lot better if they had Garofoli and Frigo on the team.
That's what i figured. They're only half a minute off the podium.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Actually the Italian team did not that bad with the 4 riders setting the team TTT result; but the 2 other riders finished OTL....
I think as a team not the result you looked for...
This is what you get when internal politics get in the way of selecting a team that is actually built to ride for the gc, you have to pick the riders from the right teams to make everyone happy...
Why do you bring 2 sprinters/1 sprinter and a leadout man if they are gonna finish OTL in the TTT anyway?
Some of the best climbers aren't available because of injuries/health problems or team related stuff, but bringing 2 good one day racer with a big engine (guys like Nicolo Buratti or Federico Guzzo) who have good results in Italian one day races with a good international field would be an obvious pick. De Pretto would be another name, but maybe he's not available because he's a trainee at BEX?

This is what you get when internal politics get in the way of selecting a team that is actually built to ride for the gc, you have to pick the riders from the right teams to make everyone happy...
Why do you bring 2 sprinters/1 sprinter and a leadout man if they are gonna finish OTL in the TTT anyway?
Some of the best climbers aren't available because of injuries/health problems or team related stuff, but bringing 2 good one day racer with a big engine (guys like Nicolo Buratti or Federico Guzzo) who have good results in Italian one day races with a good international field would be an obvious pick. De Pretto would be another name, but maybe he's not available because he's a trainee at BEX?

I wouldn't be surprised if those 2 riders thought everyone would be capped at 2 minutes and there wasn't a time cut...

I agree tho that these politics are annoying but they happen in a lot of countries, GB for example where they want to promote their academy or Belgium where they don't want to have more than 3 guys of LTS in a national selection.

I wouldn't be surprised if those 2 riders thought everyone would be capped at 2 minutes and there wasn't a time cut...

I agree tho that these politics are annoying but they happen in a lot of countries, GB for example where they want to promote their academy or Belgium where they don't want to have more than 3 guys of LTS in a national selection.
The LTS thing is probably the one thing that I get the most, having a few spots for riders from other (smaller u23) teams and not having them take up more than 50% of the team isn't that stupid.
One thing that stands out with Italy is that the 2 biggest names who missed out and don't have any injury/health related problems at the moment, Frigo and Germani, ride for non-Italian u23 teams. If that's actually the reason why they were left out because of internal politics...