• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de l'Avenir 2022 (August 18-28)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, kinda true.
Monoclimb stages with a hard tempo on the flat also suits strong rouleurs, the next 2 days will be a bigger test for him.

I mean i have the feeling the level has been quite low all year tbh. You had 2 guys that were levels above the rest climbing wise with Martinez first and then Van Eetvelt. Now Van Eetvelt is out and Martinez crashed hard earlier. There's some talented other climbers but I wouldn't say there special either (yet).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Hessmann with 1,90 and 78kg can push some serious Watts. Didn't know that he can climb that well.
Uijtebrooks will probably be with the best climbers in some races next year.
He finished with Chaves, Johannessen, Hart etc in Norway where Evenepoel pushed the same numbers as two days ago. He lost the same amount of time there as the Roglic group two days ago. Both 30 minute climbs.

1.jpg

Germany dropping their own leader, lovely. Ffs who thinks of these tactics. They hammered that climb like they have the best climber in the race while it's the opposite.

And I just hope the crash did something to Martinez cause he has been massively disappointing.
Staune Mittet and Archie Ryan are going to get surprisingly good results out of this Tour de l'Avenir.
Hagos Welay Berhe is also a pretty interesting prospects (rides for the EF continental team).

Germany dropping their own leader, lovely. Ffs who thinks of these tactics. They hammered that climb like they have the best climber in the race while it's the opposite.

And I just hope the crash did something to Martinez cause he has been massively disappointing.
Staune Mittet and Archie Ryan are going to get surprisingly good results out of this Tour de l'Avenir.
Hagos Welay Berhe is also a pretty interesting prospects (rides for the EF continental team).
Yeah, Lenny crashed. That said, riding the baby giro, valle d'aosta and the Tour for the gc after a decent amount of racing during the spring (also against the pros) is a lot for a first year u23 rider.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Milesi 12th today, his recovery and his endurance are his biggest strength in tge mountains. Only started riding at the age of 16 and after crashing early in the 2021 Baby Giro he was pretty constant in the mountains as a first year u23 rider.
Piganzoli is also legit, last year he finished 10th on the gc in the u23 Giro (against a stacked field) as a first year u23 rider.

Also nice to see good rides from Fancellu, after he almost quit cycling last year.

What happened to Leo Hayter today to drop 20 minutes.

Overall looks like a brutal day with around 30 riders succumbing to DNS/DNF/OTL and even 3 DSQ.
He already lost tons of time on the previozs stage, looks like the baby giro was really an outliner for him.
Also, this year that race didn't feature consecutive mountain stages, so despite the behemoth of a Mortirolo stage recovery was less of a factor.

TRENDING THREADS