• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Luxembourg 2023 (September 20-24)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Am I the only one who doesn’t believe in Healy’s Lombardia chances at all? Passo di Ganda is almost 10k at over 7% with a seriously steep final section, that’s an entirely different kettle of fish than the terrain he’s impressed on all year. Yes, if he’s in the front group going into Colle Aperto he’s a dangerous individual, but surely the best actual climbers just put too much time into him on Ganda?
The last 40km of his Giro stage win is not dissimilar terrain, and he was putting time into the chasers all the way to the finish.

I can see it being a bit like Liege. Pog and Remco, if on form, will be a different class to the rest, but Healy could be best-or-thereabouts-of-the-rest, providing he doesn’t have to sprint against anyone for the line.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Healy has the ability to get a result by making a move before the big favorites (so before Ganda in other words).

Maybe when it comes to Lombardia he will get dropped already before that or steamrolled by the favorites on the Ganda even starting with a gap, but right now it looks like he is in good enough form to make Lombardia more interesting.

That is a possibility but I am not even that convinced that Healy will get steamrolled by favourites on Passo di Ganda (maybe apart from Pogačar). He was arguably the strongest rider in this year's Giro stage 15 breakaway that went up the similar Roncola Alta climb and only lose the stage to McNulty a really strong rider over medium mountains. Plus we know from AGR and LBL that Healy handles the long distances well.

That is a possibility but I am not even that convinced that Healy will get steamrolled by favourites on Passo di Ganda (maybe apart from Pogačar). He was arguably the strongest rider in this year's Giro stage 15 breakaway that went up the similar Roncola Alta climb and only lose the stage to McNulty a really strong rider over medium mountains. Plus we know from AGR and LBL that Healy handles the long distances well.

There is a world of difference between a stage in a GT and a full on one-day race.

There is a world of difference between a stage in a GT and a full on one-day race.

Sure but Healy has already shown being able to handle long one day races and these Lombardia climbs so he is an outsider for the race.

Campanearts beating McNulty in 2023 is surprising, even though the margin was really small. Hirschi taking the leaders jersey from Healy by 3 seconds.

Last edited:
The mushroom head is back!
If Healy had worn his EF skinsuit he would've looked like Jigglypuff with that helmet. It doesn't help that he kinda looks like a Brit Rock artist despite being Irish, since "Sing" seems to be a plausible move for him then. :D

McNulty lost the TT by avoiding that gully grating it seems?

Where did that TT by Koen Bouwman suddenly come from?

Hirschi surprisingly strong. Kragh Andersen surprisingly bad. Maybe not everything DSM has done was completely nuts?

Decent performance by Kluckers & Tudor. Nice to see Campenaerts getting a nice TT win once again.

Tomorrow should be quite interesting. Since Hirschi & Healy might sprint for bonus seconds, while McNulty maybe tries to sneak away.