• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Pologne 2020

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I use Google Translate but I've been burnt before. Always better to get a summary from someone who speaks the language. I don't know if that's still the case but I thought at one point there was a rule that a summary or translation be provided for non-English links and posts.

I use Google Translate but I've been burnt before. Always better to get a summary from someone who speaks the language. I don't know if that's still the case but I thought at one point there was a rule that a summary or translation be provided for non-English links and posts.
Well, we could always * not * post a link ofcourse, if that suits the forum and its admins better, lol. So if that rule is still in place, it would be the most funny and completely counterproductive thing. Also, last few years the online translators such as google or deepl do a good enough job to get the essence of what is being said. If you expect everybody to start translating interviews and articles, that seems a bit much imho. While this may be a an English forum, it is still a forum for an international sport. I have to do the same with Italian and Spanish articles.

Anyway, he's sorry. Never intended for this to happen. His thoughts are with Fabio, not with cycling. He doesn't think he'll touch his bike anytime soon. It seemed honest, not an act. Everything happened so fast, he was only thinking about winning. Etc

Reactions: Sandisfan

I think the rule is simply that if you post a link to a non-English source it has to be easy for other users to copy-paste and run through a translator.

May 28, 2017
Visit site
As expected, the Polish doctors confirmed that Fabio didnt have to be reanimated for an hour. The confusion probably had to do with the intubation, or artificial ventilation, that was applied. Thats obviously different from reanimation where brain damage is already a huge risk within a minute or so. The Polish executive seemed very optimistic and also said that "if you can survive such a fall you can also return in the sport". Lets Hope he is right!

Well, we could always * not * post a link ofcourse, if that suits the forum and its admins better, lol. So if that rule is still in place, it would be the most funny and completely counterproductive thing. Also, last few years the online translators such as google or deepl do a good enough job to get the essence of what is being said. If you expect everybody to start translating interviews and articles, that seems a bit much imho. While this may be a an English forum, it is still a forum for an international sport. I have to do the same with Italian and Spanish articles.

Anyway, he's sorry. Never intended for this to happen. His thoughts are with Fabio, not with cycling. He doesn't think he'll touch his bike anytime soon. It seemed honest, not an act. Everything happened so fast, he was only thinking about winning. Etc
Your last paragraph is what I'm talking about. It's always helpful and appreciated. I just read something similar for a Spanish link that was posted. That said, it does seem like Google Translate has improved in recent years and we don't seem to be losing as much in the translation as we did even a couple years ago so maybe I shouldn't worry about it too much these days.

Good thing the crash took place in a "small" race and Sagan was not DQed or the forum would be erupting :). Piece of fruit excuses and all...but in the end, as I stated then, rockets head to the line, split second decisions, sprinters and sprints are dangerous by nature. And most of today's sprinters have little to no track experience, add trains or lead-outs, it's mayhem. If nothing else, it's a miracle that these accidents don't happen more often. And that speaks to the phenomenal bike handling skills that the guys have.

Organization/design has to be blamed, if you want a bunch sprint finish, plan for no corners in the final kilometer, a wide road, and hope for the best.

Carapaz the underdog, overlooked. He has the goodies, no one really takes him seriously, and when he opens up he's smart..."a man's got to know his limitations" said Clint Eastwood: Richard makes the best of it, good for him.

Organization/design has to be blamed, if you want a bunch sprint finish, plan for no corners in the final kilometer, a wide road, and hope for the best.
I actually don't think corners are a big problem. If anything it lowers the speed and it avoids having too many riders next to each other after the corner. Obviously there are corners which are dangerous, but most of the time it seems like corners reduce the risks of serious crashes.

I actually don't think corners are a big problem. If anything it lowers the speed and it avoids having too many riders next to each other after the corner. Obviously there are corners which are dangerous, but most of the time it seems like corners reduce the risks of serious crashes.
Agree to the extent that the finish area doesn't get narrower, too. The race tends to be to each decisive bend and that starts to thin the ranks a bit from my experience and most carnage spreads to the outside of the corners. Sprinting is inherently dicey as everyone involved is making minute judgements at high speed. It only takes two racers guessing the same gap is open for a millisecond......BANG. Groenewegen probably judged that he owned that gap and, if his bottom bracket was ahead of the front wheel next to him he had room to move. That's what every big-body sprinter taught me as they guided me to the choice to back down.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

Way better translator!!! Google Translate is like a three year old kid translation next to it;)

Tried it multiple times, and it's all hype but in practice it makes the same dumb mistakes, plus, you can't translate URL's with it like Google. So for me, it's not better but less convenient.

I use it mostly for Japanese and Mandarin and in those two languages the difference is night and day... I guess for European languages it doesn't matter as much... Oh well, I tried;)