• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse 2017 (10/06 > 18/06/2017)

Team and Riders
AG2R La Mondiale: Frank, Pozzovivo
Astana Pro Team: Lopez
Bahrain Merida: Izagirre, Bonifazio
BMC Racing Team: Van Avermaet, Caruso
Bora Hansgrohe: Sagan
Cannondale-Drapac Pro Cycling Team: Dombrowski
FDJ: Reichenbach
Lotto Soudal: Wellens, Debusschere
Movistar Team: Soler, Betancur
ORICA SCOTT: Albasini, Cort, Power
Quick-Step Floors: Gaviria, Brambilla, De La Cruz
Team Dimension Data: Kudus
Team KATUSHA: Spilak, Mamykin
Team LottoNL-Jumbo: Kruijswijk
Team SKY: Henao?, Poels, Viviani
Team Sunweb: Dumoulin?, Matthews
Trek - Segafredo: Pantano, Degenkolb
UAE Team Emirates: Costa, Atapuma, Modolo
Wildcards
Acqua Blue Sports: Blythe
CCC Sprandi Polkowici: Hirt
Direct Energie: Chavanel, Boudat
Roompot Nederlandse Loterij: Weening

Stages
Prologue: Cham - Cham (6k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-1-1488449526.png

Stage 2: Cham - Cham (172.7k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-2-1488449656.png

Stage 3: Menziken - Bern (159.3k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-3-1488449857.png

Stage 4: Bern - Villars-sur-Ollon (143.2k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-4-1488449889.png

Stage 5: Bex - Cevio (222k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-5-1488449897.png

Stage 6: Locarno - La Punt (166.7k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-6-1488449962.png

Stage 7: Zernez - Sölden (166.3k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-7-1488449997.png

Stage 8: Schaffhausen - Schaffhausen (100k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-8-1488450009.png

Stage 9 (ITT): Schaffhausen - Schaffhausen (28.6k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-9-1488450058.png

Last Years Top 10
1. Miguel Angel Lopez
2. Ion Izagirre +0.12
3. Warren Barguil +0.18
4. Jarlinson Pantano +0.42
5. Andrew Talansky +1.04
6. Tejay van Garderen +1.26
7. Rui Costa +2.09
8. Kelderman +2.38
9. Simon Spilak +2.48
10. Sergei Chernetskiy +5.08

Now i can ask this question. Are they really doing Tiefenbachferner? That one with the tunnel at 2800m? Also, the last TT seems to have a hill. If i remember, normally Suisse finished with a flatter TT. Maybe it's to prevent any forum meltdowns ;)

Gigs_98 said:
The profile of stage 6 should go to the worst profiles thread, because just in case you wondered, no thats no mtf

There is 700 metres altitude difference and yet it looks like its a MTF if you doesn't look closely (or don't know La Punt)
Decent parcours and no pure sprinters stages. I also like the fact that this is the race for b-options and the likes ,its pretty open and should give lots of guys an opportunity to ride for themselves

Lopez, Pozzovivo, Frank, Konrad, Reichenbach, Spilak, Monfort, Betancur, Castroviejo, Poels (?), Dumoulin, I. Izagirre, Pantano, Kruijswijk, Costa, Hirt.

I don't get warm from the GC field here. I do expect strong performances from post giro Reichenbach / Pozzovivo.
I don't know Lopez' form so I reckon Izagirre is the biggest favorite.

Dumoulin probably tired. Plus never won any GC in 1 week races surprisingly enough

I swear the parcours for the past couple of years has been very similar. I mean, apart from the La Punt stage, I'm pretty sure we've seen Cham, Bern, Villars, Solden and Schaffhausen recently (or stages that look extremely similar to them). Sure, Switzerland isn't the biggest country, but still. At least stop doing two of these repetitive circuit stages every year.

Re:

Brullnux said:
I swear the parcours for the past couple of years has been very similar. I mean, apart from the La Punt stage, I'm pretty sure we've seen Cham, Bern, Villars, Solden and Schaffhausen recently (or stages that look extremely similar to them). Sure, Switzerland isn't the biggest country, but still. At least stop doing two of these repetitive circuit stages every year.

Firstly, I actually quite like the parcours this year. Then again, I do almost every year for the Tour de Suisse, so maybe the similarity is why.

Secondly, I understand the circuits as they are usually really enjoyable for spectators on the road, who can park out somewhere and watch every time the riders come past rather than just seeing a flash of riders for a few seconds.
In the Tour of Britain we usually have a circuit stage in center London and its a treat for the spectators.

Stage 7: Zernez - Sölden (166.3k)
tour-de-suisse-2016-stage-7-1488449997.png

So this atge climbs the same Rettenbachferner, except that this time instead of going in to the finish line that we saw last year they continue for 3 additional kilometers at 6.0%. So this climb Is actually 15 kilometers.

When I put the data in my computer from the profile I get only 13.3 kilometers of climb @ 10.74%. So I don't get the 15 kilometers that they are talking about in the link below. If it is really 15 kilometers like they say here the average gradient should be around 9.85%. Which is still a monster.

http://www.cyclingstage.com/tour-de-suisse-2017/stage-7-route-tds-2017/

Betancur just announced himself as no.1 favorite for the Tour of Switzerland! :cool:

Expect Pozzo & Frank to go strong too. Dumoulin might be tired from the Giro. Kruijswijk ain't got his peak shape with that infection. You never know with Spilak though. Costa has visibly declined. While Hirt ain't got no tt to secure the overall victory. He should be there in the mountains though. Oh, and Dombrowski's scheduled to lead Cannondale. Who knows, somehow he always performs when ain't nobody expects anything. But like Hirt, he ain't got the tt. I don't expect Lopez to be there to be honest. In that start list Kangert is still scheduled as well. I guess both ain't gonna race in Switzerland.

Should be a interesting race actually. Lots of second tier gc riders and a decent route.

Oh, and Sagan versus Gaviria!

Re:

staubsauger said:
Betancur just announced himself as no.1 favorite for the Tour of Switzerland! :cool:

Expect Pozzo & Frank to go strong too. Dumoulin might be tired from the Giro. Kruijswijk ain't got his peak shape with that infection. You never know with Spilak though. Costa has visibly declined. While Hirt ain't got no tt to secure the overall victory. He should be there in the mountains though. Oh, and Dombrowski's scheduled to lead Cannondale. Who knows, somehow he always performs when ain't nobody expects anything. But like Hirt, he ain't got the tt. I don't expect Lopez to be there to be honest. In that start list Kangert is still scheduled as well. I guess both ain't gonna race in Switzerland.

Should be a interesting race actually. Lots of second tier gc riders and a decent route.

Oh, and Sagan versus Gaviria!

Lopez is riding, he is fully recovered from his injury: http://revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/23271-miguel-angel-lopez-viaja-a-europa-para-tomar-parte-en-vuelta-a-suiza.html (interview from yesterday)

Re:

Brullnux said:
All those fat cat billionaires don't want sweaty cyclists blocking off their roads. They attract the riff-raff too, you know! :D

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Great stages! Really nice race. Looking forward to this. Albulapass, Tifenbachferner is a dream, good for Hirt. Dumoulin is gonna win this.

Re: Re:

Ruby United said:
Brullnux said:

Firstly, I actually quite like the parcours this year. Then again, I do almost every year for the Tour de Suisse, so maybe the similarity is why.

Secondly, I understand the circuits as they are usually really enjoyable for spectators on the road, who can park out somewhere and watch every time the riders come past rather than just seeing a flash of riders for a few seconds.
In the Tour of Britain we usually have a circuit stage in center London and its a treat for the spectators.
The route isn't bad at all, but it's pretty uninspired and not particularly innovative. I'd rather they mixed it up a bit and didn't keep going in to Austria every year for the biggest stage, when there are so many options in Switzerland. They are massively overusing Solden and Tiefenbachferner/Rettenbachferner.

The circuits I understand are good for spectators, but having a quarter of all road stages on a circuit is monotonous imo. Especially as most the time these are 30km+ circuits and they go round them only 5 times or so, which means that there is minimal advantage for the spectators. There was a couple of years ago when it felt that every other stage was a circuit. I'm fine with one, but two or even three is excessive in a 9 stage race. However, I admit I like the fact these circuits are hilly at least.