• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse 2024, June 9 - 16

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wilco will be like the fourth/fifth guy, if he goes to the Tour. He is in enough shape to get the job done.

It's not like adam yates or Almeida showed a better level than Jorgenson in the Tour. Kuss was sick, but he will be again the best super domestique in the world if necessary on the last week.

What we can conclude is that, Emirates, Bora and Visma have super good domestiques for the Tour, who can make the race hard or doing a trap to the rival teams(just like Kuss in the Vuelta). They have a lot of firepower.

But in the end, the winner of the Tour will be like always the most strong leader.
Kuss will be irrelevant until week 3 (he looks awful) so only Matteo is gonna help Vingegaard but I agree the strongest rider will win.

Not surprising result at all, the ITT was about who's the strongest climber today. Almeida and Yates basically equal on the climb (Almeida a bit faster on the flat section and in the finale). While they didn't crush the field today it's worth noting that their GC advantage is big and indicates very consistent and strong performances every day. Congrats to them on this race. Teddy should sleep well before the Tour, he has a decent team!

I don't think stage are 4 hard enough to make big differences. Sestrieres, montgenevre and Galiber are not that steep.

Probably stage 11... yeah is a bit hard, with some steep climbs in the end.

Keep in mind stages 14 and 15 (but it's the end of week two actually so Kuss should be stronger according to you). As for stage 4: UAE will make carnage on the Galibier climb: not saying differences will be huge but I wouldn't be surprised if Pog is able to gain 40-60 seconds over his closest rivals there.

Reactions: Froome
Keep in mind stages 14 and 15 (but it's the end of week two actually so Kuss should be stronger according to you). As for stage 4: UAE will make carnage out of Galibier climb: not saying differences will be huge but I wouldn't be surprised if Pog is able to gain 40-60 seconds over his closest rivals there.
I'm like counting Pla d adet and Plateau de beille "in the last week" since they are in the last 8 days of racing.

I don't think stage are 4 hard enough to make big differences. Sestrieres, montgenevre and Galiber are not that steep.

Probably stage 11... yeah is a bit hard, with some steep climbs in the end.
I agree Stage 4 is not hard enough but it is the first mountain stage (first real test) after a probably tough weekend and a super long flat stage (more than 5 hours on the saddle) so this will be relevant before stage 4 and Galibier is definetly enough to create big gaps (more than a minute). Can't see Hindley, Vlasov, Matteo, all top domestiques still with their leaders when Yates goes to work.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

Rou

Mar 20, 2024
Visit site
Now that Suisse is over we can compare it with Dauphine. In my opinion this year (unlike previous years) Suisse was the higher level race. Almeida and Yates would have smashed Rogla and Jorgenson. In the top 10 of Suisse we got 10 lightweight climbers and not a Canadian rouleur and a Spanish flat domestique like in the Dauphine. :D
What do you guys think?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Now that Suisse is over we can compare it with Dauphine. In my opinion this year (unlike previous years) Suisse was the higher level race. Almeida and Yates would have smashed Rogla and Jorgenson. In the top 10 of Suisse we got 10 lightweight climbers and not a Canadian rouleur and a Spanish flat domestique like in the Dauphine. :D
What do you guys think?
They were at the same level. Looking at the gaps is always a good metric.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and noob

Rou

Mar 20, 2024
Visit site
They were at the same level. Looking at the gaps is always a good metric.
Yes, exactly looking at the gaps we get this: After 3 brutal summits in Dauphine at the end Lazkano finished 9th (2:54 behind Roglic). Freaking Derek Gee was only 36 secs back in third place. In Suisse the third guy Skjelmose finished 3:02 down on Yates. And the climbs in Suisse were easier as well.

What do you guys think?
Agree. For me Almeida and Yates showed a really good level, something I didn't see in Roglic. In fact I am almost sure if Yates and Almeida were in the Dauphiné, Roglic would not have won it.

I agree Stage 4 is not hard enough but it is the first mountain stage (first real test) after a probably tough weekend and a super long flat stage (more than 5 hours on the saddle) so this will be relevant before stage 4 and Galibier is definetly enough to create big gaps (more than a minute). Can't see Hindley, Vlasov, Matteo, all top domestiques still with their leaders when Yates goes to work.
Well, if you can’t see them then their Zubeldia race strategy might be working!

It’s hard to use the pre-Pog/Ving era of racing as much of a guide because they have changed the race landscape. But I would still see Stage 4 as less likely for that type of Yates-driven explosion because it’s early and everyone is still fresh, so there are will be a bigger group of leaders and super-doms still together in front. It’s true that it was just in Stage 6 of last years Tour that Pogacar & Vingegaard put the hurt on everyone, but that stage had a final MTF (Cambasque, after Tourmelet) where they gapped everyone. I think it’s less likely for that to happen in Stage 4 this Tour.