• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour du Rwanda 2023, February 19-26

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TBF, it's a race where it might as well have been the WT team racing - like IPT.
If they'd had him ride some random cat.2 race, then it would be a problem. However, I don't think that's allowed, just like devo-team riders aren't allowed to ride for the WT team for WT races.

This is a random cat. 2 race. But seing as IPT has brought only one WT rider, it's of course true that QS could have done exactly the same.

Of course they don't care about UCI points BUT it shows another flaw in the points system - The more important issue is that a WT rider should not be able to drop to down to the Development system for racing.

I think the rules are in place to make it possible for devo riders to have opportunites to learn from more experienced teammates while also giving some of the less exsposed WT riders chances to score results. Can this system be exploited? Sure. Have teams successfully done that yet? No. IPT tried last year, but didn't get that many points out of it.

If it becomes an issue in the future, I don't think the UCI would be against tweaking the rules.

Reactions: Sandisfan
TBF, it's a race where it might as well have been the WT team racing - like IPT.
If they'd had him ride some random cat.2 race, then it would be a problem. However, I don't think that's allowed, just like devo-team riders aren't allowed to ride for the WT team for WT races.

IPT are now a Pro Team - Vernon dropping down results in one of the development riders missing a race.

IPT are now a Pro Team - Vernon dropping down results in one of the development riders missing a race.

I don't know, the young riders can also take this race as a way to learn the fundamentals of leading out one of the established riders of the WT team that they can put in practice when they are in the reverse situation and are selected to do a few race days with the WT team during the year. I honestly don't know what's more important for the development of a young rider - let them learn by themselves or take direct learning from an experienced rider who they can take as a role model during a race. I think both forms are great ways to promote young rider development.

We could also have the reverse. Soudal could enter the Tour of Rwanda with their WT team and select 4 of their development riders to do it with 1 of the WT ones - the end result would be the same.

Where does Froome attack tomorrow? They're racing at almost 2000m altitude.

tour-of-rwanda-2023-stage-2-profile-3fe07f7776.jpg

• Wow
I wonder how those two Swedish guys riding for May Stars wound up on a Rwandan continental team. Maybe some Swedish sponsorship deal or something. The team website yields a "temporarily disabled" result for me.

Given their surnames, they are probably refugees or second-generation swedes coming from Rwandan or other african country family, like Abeba Aregawi or Mustafa Mohamed in athletics.

I would bet for a Q36.5 rider. Calzoni is starting the season on good shape, Hagen is one of the best climbers on the race. Badilatti gives them another choice.

Eyob, Mulubrhan and Kent Main are possible contenders as well.

Finally, you have Budyak, Piccoli, De la Parte and Bizkarra.

According to the official twitter Nsengimana has a 45s lead over Pritzen and Fouche.
Wonder if they mean Nsengiyumwa? Nsengimana isn't on the startlist.
The lead over thepeloton is 12 minutes with less than 90km to go.

edit: looking at the photos in the twitter it's clear the rider in front is from the Rwanda national team, and the rider actually looks like Nsengimana. So maybe the startlist is wrong.

Last edited:
According to the official twitter Nsengimana has a 45s lead over Pritzen and Fouche.
Wonder if they mean Nsengiyumwa? Nsengimana isn't on the startlist.
The lead over thepeloton is 12 minutes with less than 90km to go.

edit: looking at the photos in the twitter it's clear the rider in front is from the Rwanda national team, and the rider actually looks like Nsengimana. So maybe the startlist is wrong.
PCS has him in the race, currently leading KOM aswell.

TRENDING THREADS