Tour Match Up: Gesink v Van Den Broeck

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish higher in the Tour de France?

  • TGBM!!!

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
It's not a GT without Gesink hitting the floor at least once :D
Well, Gesink fell and scraped his knee i think two days ago. Today JVdB fell in the last crash before the finishline and injured his hand (fingers). LDH reported it. No idea how serious it is. Probably not too bad or else we'd have heard something i presume.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Not really a great climb for gesink tho.
:rolleyes:
 
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
We should get a decent indicator of what Gesink will be at this tour on Saturday. Not really a great climb for gesink tho.
Not true. The climb is very much like Mount Baldy, 6km at 8,5%. Baldy was 7km at 8.??%.. Only difference is lower altitude and easier run-in

Only thing that could happen is having some problems at the foot of the climb.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,645
0
0
@logic
Gesink likes longer climbs, where he can find his tempo. I don't mean this as excuse, I just don't expect him to do that great (he wont be that bad either, but might initially struggle) :rolleyes:

 
Jun 22, 2009
10,645
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Not true. The climb is very much like Mount Baldy, 6km at 8,5%. Baldy was 7km at 8.??%.. Only difference is lower altitude and easier run-in

Only thing that could happen is having some problems at the foot of the climb.
this is what I meant sorry. It's steep quickly which in past has been his undoing, and rather then being a threat might have to play catch up.

also My baldy had a much more gradual build up which suits gesink, where this is pretty much flat (hyperbole) then hard. Point is I think Mt Baldy was better on a whole for him. It's just the start of des belles filles i worry about. Also depends if someone like schleck decides to go early.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Not true. The climb is very much like Mount Baldy, 6km at 8,5%. Baldy was 7km at 8.??%.. Only difference is lower altitude and easier run-in

Only thing that could happen is having some problems at the foot of the climb.
I think Belles Filles is not a Gesink type climb, more suited to Schleck, VDB, Mollema... the guys who fare better on more explosive stuff. He just has to limit his damage there.

Baldy was completely different, yes the profile of the final 5 k looks similar, but it was preceded by a hard stage and (more importantly) it's at high altitude... basically what you say yourself as well.
 
theyoungest said:
I think Belles Filles is not a Gesink type climb, more suited to Schleck, VDB, Mollema... the guys who fare better on more explosive stuff. He just has to limit his damage there.

Baldy was completely different, yes the profile of the final 5 k looks similar, but it was preceded by a hard stage and (more importantly) it's at high altitude... basically what you say yourself as well.
VDB is not an explosive type of climber, Vanendert might do better; VDB and Gesink will come in together (hand in hand :D)
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Lexman said:
VDB is not an explosive type of climber, Vanendert might do better; VDB and Gesink will come in together (hand in hand :D)
Actually, VDB is quite good at explosive stuff... it's on the really long climbs that he starts to struggle. Remember his attack on Mende? Or on the Mur de Bretagne? Both times Gesink was struggling at the back.
 
May 12, 2010
1,998
0
0
theyoungest said:
Actually, VDB is quite good at explosive stuff... it's on the really long climbs that he starts to struggle. Remember his attack on Mende? Or on the Mur de Bretagne? Both times Gesink was struggling at the back.
True, his stage win in the Dauphiné was on a short steep hill as well, and in the Vuelta his best stage result was to San Lorenzo de El Escorial. He is not a Rodriguez, but he can handle the steep stuff and tempo changes really well. In the 2010 Tour he probably suffered the most on the Madeleine and Tourmalet.
 
May 31, 2011
231
0
0
I'll do a winter sleep till Saturday. I can't wait for the mountains to come and see who's good and who's not! I know if Gesink feels well, he'll attack with about 3k to go, not earlier. Let's hope some others will open sooner, though. I'm not disapproving of Gesink's tactic. If that's what brings him the best possible result, it's wise to do so.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Later in the climb is when he's got his engine running. It's not so much a tactic, as the point where he becomes stronger than some others.
 
Lanark said:
True, his stage win in the Dauphiné was on a short steep hill as well, and in the Vuelta his best stage result was to San Lorenzo de El Escorial. He is not a Rodriguez, but he can handle the steep stuff and tempo changes really well. In the 2010 Tour he probably suffered the most on the Madeleine and Tourmalet.
In the 2010 TDF Van den Broeck suffered most from both rest days, as usual. Madeleine and Tourmalet just happened to be in the stages right after the rest days.


theyoungest said:
Actually, VDB is quite good at explosive stuff... it's on the really long climbs that he starts to struggle. Remember his attack on Mende? Or on the Mur de Bretagne? Both times Gesink was struggling at the back.
I think that's how you're willing to look at it. He's good at dealing with tempochanges yes, but he isn't good at making an attack, getting out of the saddle and blast off for 300 meters like Rodriguez, Contador, Schleck... He just has some way of applying the same climbing style even on much steeper climbs without getting into trouble (as opposed to other riders who do get into trouble). But rarely is it a showcase of explosiveness. I used to joke about it with my brother about when he placed an attack (out of the saddle), then looked behind himself and noticed he barely got a meter on the first chaser who actually didn't do anything but follow his own tempo.

As for Gesink, he's been up there with JvdB in this TDF on all the short steep climbs so far. Usually finished in front. Also, wasn't it his ambition to do well in AGR and LBL? How would you explain that for a rider who needs long climbs and suffers the first K's?
 
May 31, 2011
231
0
0
Logic-is-your-friend said:
In the 2010 TDF Van den Broeck suffered most from both rest days, as usual. Madeleine and Tourmalet just happened to be in the stages right after the rest days.
Then why doesn't he does something intense on the rest days so he doesn't allow his body to take that fallback?
 
Azabael said:
Then why doesn't he does something intense on the rest days so he doesn't allow his body to take that fallback?
How intense for how long? Same intensity as a regular stage? But then he's had no rest day. It's not an uncommon problem. I'm sure it can be handled in some degree... but then again, maybe it is already being handled to some degree and he would otherwise be even worse.
 
May 31, 2011
231
0
0
Logic-is-your-friend said:
The trick is to always be right next to Wiggins. If you fall, at least you take him out as well. It's a win-win...-lose thing.
Behind him! That was, if he falls and takes you along, you can use his bony body as a pillow.. oh wait..
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS