• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Match Up: Gesink v Van Den Broeck

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish higher in the Tour de France?

• TGBM!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
If this is true, I don't see how he can suddenly challenge for the stage win tomorrow based on his performance the last couple of stages.
It's not like he tried to hang on or something. Looked like he was on a training ride.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
So what do you really think about Gesink's performance in relation to his tour prep?

I think it's pretty weird to say the least. Riding like a sack of infested potatoes doesn't make sense to me, this is beyond saving energy.

I wouldn't give up on him though, seems unlikely he'll suck at the Tour. Let's just wait and see and trust master Robert.

EDIT: the only thing that worries me is that he did suck in the Ardennes this year. His timing seems to be off.

boomcie said:
I think it's pretty weird to say the least. Riding like a sack of infested potatoes doesn't make sense to me, this is beyond saving energy.

I wouldn't give up on him though, seems unlikely he'll suck at the Tour. Let's just wait and see and trust master Robert.

EDIT: the only thing that worries me is that he did suck in the Ardennes this year. His timing seems to be off.
So we may conclude that you like infested potatoes?

Taugé as well, perhaps? ;)

I'll just repost what i said in the other topic:

I can understand Gesink in a way. Not wanting to go too deep, in light of the TDF. On the other hand, isn't he overdoing it? This is the final reference, the last test to see where you're at. Even if he wins tomorrow, it still isn't a point of reference, as the other "favorites" didn't softpedal the first 5 days and obviously he won't have this luxuary next month. Combine that with the fact that this is really the first time he is softpedalling during a preparation... i feel this is a big risk in order to interpret his current form and how to schedule his last training weeks before the TDF. I hope it works out for him.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Or yeah Ruben. Do you remember this

Well.

Hows this

13. SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 09"
114. GESINK Robert RAB 11'56"

Dekker T, Comments?
:D

Cmon Hitch you can bait better :p. Anyways, I'll take a bite. In tt they both presumably went full out whereas on this climb, Gesink didnt even bother starting in the middle of the field when the climb started and just let go. But Im not telling anything new :)

Havetts said:
Cmon Hitch you can bait better :p. Anyways, I'll take a bite. In tt they both presumably went full out whereas on this climb, Gesink didnt even bother starting in the middle of the field when the climb started and just let go. But Im not telling anything new :)

He gets off on pouncing on the Dutchies for every ''mistake'' he can possibly catch them on. It's his life's purpose. I have a feeling you knew this already though. :p

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
He gets off on pouncing on the Dutchies for every ''mistake'' he can possibly catch them on. It's his life's purpose. I have a feeling you knew this already though. :p

Naww Hitchens lives on Giro D'Italia fuel and writing insanely good introductions!

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
I wonder whether Bruyneel might try to sign JVDB next yr if he can attract a new team/ stay with Radioshack and OPL disbands, they shall have to get rid of some riders and Bruyneel could swoop. And he sure as hell makes some good ITT riders

I think he's commercially too interesting for Omega Pharma and Lotto. It's hard to imagine he won't sign with either of those after the project disbands. Unless he does crazy well at the TdF of course.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:
I think he's commercially too interesting for Omega Pharma and Lotto. It's hard to imagine he won't sign with either of those after the project disbands. Unless he does crazy well at the TdF of course.

What are the chances of a Tour-invitation for either team? Omega could be good, depending on who they keep/sign, but Lotto? If they want to focus on the Belgian market, I doubt the ASO is interested in a glorified Topsport Vlaanderen.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Lanark said:
What are the chances of a Tour-invitation for either team? Omega could be good, depending on who they keep/sign, but Lotto? If they want to focus on the Belgian market, I doubt the ASO is interested in a glorified Topsport Vlaanderen.

There's also talks of Lotto potentially forming a new team with Francaise des Jeux. That's mainly gossip though, but it doesn't seem completely impossible.

I doubt ASO won't be interested in that case.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:
There's also talks of Lotto potentially forming a new team with Francaise des Jeux. That's mainly gossip though, but it doesn't seem completely impossible.

I doubt ASO won't be interested in that case.

I haven't been following this news too closely, but wasn't the cause of the break up that Lotto wanted a more Belgian-profile for their squad? Teaming up with FDJeux seems counterintuitive to that.

Lanark said:
I haven't been following this news too closely, but wasn't the cause of the break up that Lotto wanted a more Belgian-profile for their squad? Teaming up with FDJeux seems counterintuitive to that.

Not just that, but they also wanted to focus more on younger talented riders and giving them the chance to grow. Unlike Coucke who seems more eager to go into a bidding war in order to attract bigger names. That's how i understood things.

Spine Concept said:

You might notice that the following post is directed AT ME!!! (the "Hitch" that follows the smiley, bolded for your benefit).

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Samu Sanchez at point 2
29. SANCHEZ Samuel 101 EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI 00:42:08 00:02:39

Slower than RG ;) Hitch, comments?

So what, Im not allowed to respond to posts directed at me?

Where was your complaint when Dekker made his original post. My responce was to say that he was perfectly within his right to bait me like that. Its some friendly ribbin on the forum that i hope to see much more of come July.

Actually this is tame by comparison to the Evans vs Gesink vs VDB stuff you will see.

I then waited. Waited. Waited, with the sword of Damocles hanging over Rubens head.

And when he least expected it.

BAM!!!

(pig's squeel)

Edit: Oh and cheers havets.

The Hitch said:
You might notice that the following post is directed AT ME!!! (the "Hitch" that follows the smiley, bolded for your benefit).

So what, Im not allowed to respond to posts directed at me?

Where was your complaint when Dekker made his original post. My responce was to say that he was perfectly within his right to bait me like that. Its some friendly ribbin on the forum that i hope to see much more of come July.

Actually this is tame by comparison to the Evans vs Gesink vs VDB stuff you will see.

I then waited. Waited. Waited, with the sword of Damocles hanging over Rubens head.

And when he least expected it.

BAM!!!

(pig's squeel)

Edit: Oh and cheers havets.

Lol. Maybe that wasn't the best example but my point still stands. I did not respond to D_T's post because I did not see it. However, I do see your constant baiting or underhanded remarks - mostly directed at the Dutchies - in several posts/threads.
Recently I saw a post where D_T basically told you to let him be and stop referring to him or his posts every single time. He seemed genuinely disturbed by that. I can see the irony in all of that, but it stuck with me nonetheless. That is the point which you have managed to miss, unsurprisingly of course. :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS