• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of California Stage 5: Visalia - Bakersfield (195.5km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Irrespective of any validity to Landis' charges, I suspect many riders are seething. I think we are seeing that in the decisions, and antics of riders in the pro peleton today.

tgsgirl said:
I don't think they'd get Stuart O'Grady to play along, and he has abandoned too. Quite a lot of others involved:

Bernhard Eisel (Team HTC-Columbia)
Tony Martin (Team HTC-Columbia)
Jakob Fuglsang (Team Saxo Bank)
Jeremy Hunt (Cervelo Test Team)
Lars Ytting Bak (Team HTC-Columbia)
Peter Sagan (Liquigas-Doimo)
Brian Vandborg (Liquigas-Doimo)

Martin and Hunt just attacked the bunch, so they should be fine

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Why is Mark Renshaw in the break? Does HTC-Columbia think Cavendish won't make it over the hills? Or is he not suited for the uptick on the finishing circuit?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
That's not his job though.
Renshaw's job is to help his team. Mostly that is to be the last man blocking the wind for Cav in a bunch sprint, but it is not exclusively that. If he can block wind for Rodgers attempting to take the GC, then I have no doubt that HTC is glad to have him there - and likely, so is Cav.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Also, I don't think it's a matter of "sending" the "right" rider in the break, but rather Renshaw found himself in the break that got away. I mean, Grischa Niermann is in the break as well, he's no breakaway artist either.

I have no idea. I'm not watching and to be quite honest, not paying attention either. Just thought it odd to have Cav's locomotive in a break.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Also, I don't think it's a matter of "sending" the "right" rider in the break...
I'd add that if it looks like the break won't succeed, Renshaw will sit up and not contribute to the break. Especially if Liquigas or Saxo is driving the peleton.

[edit] And if the break does succeed, he is the best sprinter there.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Who cares who is in the break. With Paul Mach leader on the road, it is doomed.
Separately, when is someone going to sue Landis on behalf of all the people who poured $$$ into his legal defense — a defense we now learn was predicated on a complete fraud.

What a loser.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Am I reading the profile of the stage right? CN says it's a 10 percent climb encountered three times at the end of the stage, and it certainly looks like the finish is on top of the climb. But the description says that it will be hard to hold off the sprinters with 2 km to go after the finish.

Anyway, I can't see how Cavendish, in any kind of form, can get up that climb and win the stage. So I don't really see the problem with having Renshaw up the road.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
But looking at live.cyclingnews.com, tgsgirl, Peter Hymas shares your curiousity:
Let's meet our riders currently off the front.

Mark Renshaw (Team HTC-Columbia) is a 27-year-old Australian in his 8th year as a professional. He's in his second season with HTC-Columbia and previously rode for the French teams Credit Agricole and Francais des Jeux.

He's perhaps best known as teammate Mark Cavendish's preferred final lead-out man, which makes his appearance in the break rather curious. Since he's got the speed to be the rider responsible for turning Cavendish loose in the finale, he's no slouch in his own right at the end of a race and has taken victories in the Circuit Franco-Belge, the Tour Down Under, the Tour de Picardie and the Tro-Bro Leon over the years.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
Anyway, I can't see how Cavendish, in any kind of form, can get up that climb and win the stage. So I don't really see the problem with having Renshaw up the road.

Christ. It's no problem. The world isn't going to implode because Renshaw is there. It's just rather unusual to have a HTC in a break at all, and Renshaw is not the name I'd expect. The only thing weirder would be if Cav was there.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Shack dishing out some pain to the peloton. A noble tribute to their fallen leader.. er.. super domestique, perhaps? Clearly, if they are willing to turn themselves inside out (and other appropriate Sherwenisms) for him even after he has abandoned, the slanderous allegations against him MUST be false... :rolleyes: