• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of California Stage 5: Visalia - Bakersfield (195.5km)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
atoc2010_stage5profile_600.jpg

atoc2010_stage5map_600.jpg

Other than that silly Old Stage Road climb, stage 5 looks to be yet another boring day for this want-to-be major cycling race. [/snark]

I look for something to happen in the GC battle on those finishing circuits.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
benpounder said:
atoc2010_stage5profile_600.jpg

atoc2010_stage5map_600.jpg

Other than that silly Old Stage Road climb, stage 5 looks to be yet another boring day for this want-to-be major cycling race. [/snark]

I look for something to happen in the GC battle on those finishing circuits.

Have you checked the Clinic, or the Wall Street Journal? A few guys might not start, and the rest of the peloton will have a lot on their minds.

Young Liquigas riders for the win.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Andrichuk said:
Why don't they put that hill at the end and create an exciting race?
Bicycle racing in the States is problematic - and not just because of cultural differences - we're alot more spread out with far less paved roads*. I think the organizers will eventually learn that a true mountain top finish should be scheduled.

*Although if Strade bianche is really desirable for grand tours, we have a helluva lot of Strade Grigio - gravel roads.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
My British friends were wrong. The Tour of California is bigger than the Giro.
Just watch it this morning 9:30PDT. Greatest race in the world, thanks to lance johann and floyd.

benpounder said:
Well, today certainly will be interesting. I cant remember ever anticipating Paul and Phil's commentary.

I'll be recording the Eurosport and P&P edition of the race :p

Eurosport so I can see what the charmismatic Magnus has to say on things, and to watch the race of course. P&P just to see if there's any chinks in the armour yet.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they'd get Stuart O'Grady to play along, and he has abandoned too. Quite a lot of others involved:

Bernhard Eisel (Team HTC-Columbia)
Tony Martin (Team HTC-Columbia)
Jakob Fuglsang (Team Saxo Bank)
Jeremy Hunt (Cervelo Test Team)
Lars Ytting Bak (Team HTC-Columbia)
Peter Sagan (Liquigas-Doimo)
Brian Vandborg (Liquigas-Doimo)

Haussler also out.
Where's Eyjafjallajokull to tell us how much safer than the Giro this race is?
Suddenly, he's very quiet.

The last time we see Lance in a race?

Dave Zee and Levi in a desperate fight to lose the Tour of California?

Could be Mick Rogers break into the big time.:rolleyes: