• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of California Stage 6: Palmdale - Big Bear Lake (217.7km)

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
profile-06.png

Palmdale is the starting place instead of Pasadena because of road damage. Looks like a great stage though.
This is definitely looks like a stage for the climbers. Who are the favorites? The obvious Zabriskie, Leipheimer, Rogers? Can Sagan hold on with these guys?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Looks like a serious day, can't wait to watch! I used to lead outdoor trips for kiddos in Big Bear.

The obvious guys, I'm guessing, will break early, and surely there will a few chase groups. Tom Danielson, Jens Voigt, and Sagan in chase 1. Maybe Ben Jacques Mayne in chase 2. I would say Haussler also, but I don't see his name on the overall standings anymore, what happened to him?

Also, is Cancellera just sitting in the back, building for TdF?

nebbiolo said:
Looks like a serious day, can't wait to watch! I used to lead outdoor trips for kiddos in Big Bear.

The obvious guys, I'm guessing, will break early, and surely there will a few chase groups. Tom Danielson, Jens Voigt, and Sagan in chase 1. Maybe Ben Jacques Mayne in chase 2. I would say Haussler also, but I don't see his name on the overall standings anymore, what happened to him?

Also, is Cancellera just sitting in the back, building for TdF?

Haussler's knee flared up again so he's withdrawn.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Haussler's knee flared up again so he's withdrawn.

He crashed and hurt his knee, but it's a different injury then the one he just came back from. Which is good news, I suppose (silver lining, anyone?).

"I fell twice so far during the Tour of California and now my knee hurts but not at the same place as my previous injury," Haussler explained. "My form is good and I have to listen to my body, get a few days rest, do some physio and look at the big picture in order to be fully prepared for the Tour de France."

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Today may see the action in what is arguably "The 2nd Biggest Stage Race in the World"... outshined by the action in "America's Grand(est) Tour". For once this week, the Giro may be the aperitif and the ToC the main course.

After a relatively quiet Giro stage, do we expect any fireworks on the climb to Big Bear, or will the three top GC men be content to mark each other and let Saturday's time trial decide the battle for the gold jersey?

What would you do as DS of HTC, Garmin, or Radio Shack? Any chances one of those teams sends a lieutenant up the road to try to force the hand of the other two? Or will they just line up the express train and see who are the last men pedalling?

And the ultimate question: Is this Tommy D's day in the sun?!?!:D

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Two national champions in red, white, and blue represented in the break!

Is the Schlecklet going to use today's stage to make a statement that he is coming into form as the TdF draws near?

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Andy hasn't shown anything so far, so they decided to not even include his name in the tour tracker list of break away riders?? lol.

I heard Andy was bluffing on Bonny Doon rd. for this very moment, to ride like a crazed twig man and take 20 minutes on the overall.

Now here's something I'd like to know; how did the race radio manage to mix up Andy Schleck with someone from a completely different team? Not only are the two team kits not very much alike, it's not like Andy Schleck is hard to spot! He's taller than good is and is wearing the Luxembourg flag!

(And... Dekker... can't help wondering how many will understand what you mean by Bird Song... :p)

RedheadDane said:
Now here's something I'd like to know; how did the race radio manage to mix up Andy Schleck with someone from a completely different team? Not only are the two team kits not very much alike, it's not like Andy Schleck is hard to spot! He's taller than good is and is wearing the Luxembourg flag!

(And... Dekker... can't help wondering how many will understand what you mean by Bird Song... :p)
They don't announce names, but numbers.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if ATOC is as big of a race as some media outlets are trying to make it, but they could teach other tours / races a thing or two about tracking abilities. Their online tracking / video page is really excellent, well-managed and easily-navigated.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Califootman said:
What would you do as DS of HTC, Garmin, or Radio Shack? Any chances one of those teams sends a lieutenant up the road to try to force the hand of the other two? Or will they just line up the express train and see who are the last men pedalling?
I think Garmin, HTC, and RadioShack will lay back until the last climb (actually stair steps) up to Big Bear Lake. I dont think they will try to win unless they see one or the other challengers crack.

And those stairsteps, while not fitting the classic European monsters is a heck of climb. (too bad it has what I think a stupid 10mi TT to finish.)