• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Oman - Muscat Classic 2024 , February 9-14

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
yeah, thought so too before I realized it's 500m at 8% average instead. But even that is probably a tad too much for Coquard or Lamperti to win.
Disagree, Coquard has won on this kind of hill before (the Rousson stage in Bessèges 2022 comes to mind) and Lamperti was second today on a climb that was 3-4 times harder. An in-form Ewan is also capable here. There also just aren’t that many good punchers at this race - yes, there’s Fisher-Black, but I think this doesn’t suit him as much as today’s stage did - and barring him, who would you be looking at here? Busatto, Capiot, Adriá, Ulissi, Schelling… all of them would be more surprising, IMO.

And so the Lamperti/Magnier insanity continues.

Lamperti into the GC lead on countback I think?

Is it that insane? I mean, wasn't this expected from Lamperti in particular. Just like De Lie 2 years ago not really a surprise he's immediately that good at pro level. Magnier I agree more, he definitely took a big step forwards this year.

They'll win again tomorrow probably.

Is it that insane? I mean, wasn't this expected from Lamperti in particular. Just like De Lie 2 years ago not really a surprise he's immediately that good at pro level. Magnier I agree more, he definitely took a big step forwards this year.

Much like with De Lie, it's not a surprise that they're good, but it's a big step from being good to immediately steamrolling strong fields. And this is coming from someone who's been on the Lamperti bandwagon since 2021.

Depends how well you follow juniors and U23. I barely follow it (only the WC), so for me it's always surprising young talents immediately do so well against the pro's.

These young Quickstep guys are pretty good

GGH06dyXwAA1vqW

Much like with De Lie, it's not a surprise that they're good, but it's a big step from being good to immediately steamrolling strong fields. And this is coming from someone who's been on the Lamperti bandwagon since 2021.

I reckon they are relatively in better form than others at the moment. Today's finish was also tailormade for them. Magniers first win was more about insane leadout than pure sprintspeed too imo.

But again, ngl, Magnier definitely surprises me cause he kinda disappointed me a bit last year. Proof that the step from junior to u23 level isn't always that easy, not even for really big talents.

But again, ngl, Magnier definitely surprises me cause he kinda disappointed me a bit last year. Proof that the step from junior to u23 level isn't always that easy, not even for really big talents.
It didn't help that he started off 2023 with mono. Once he was over that, he had strong end of the season with the second place in the Limousin stage and the demolition job in the sprint for third at the U23 Euros. Of course, what he's showing now is a big step up from that, but that goes for Lamperti and his 2023 too.

Reactions: Sandisfan
as everyone liked it so much, there's more shortened racing to come tomorrow:

Due to the exceptional weather conditions and to ensure the safety of the riders, the Royal Oman Police, Oman Cycling Association and all relevant Omani authorities have worked in collaboration with the commissaires panel of the Union Cycliste Internationale, the representatives of the teams and riders (A.I.G.C.P, C.P.A) and the organisation of the event (A.S.O.) have decided to shortened stage 4, Al Rustaq Fort - Yitti Hills, and to propose another shorter and safer stage: Fanja - Yitti Hills (104 kilometres).

The stage will start from Fanja at 9.30 AM GST and finish in Yitti Hills at 12:10 PM GST.

• Sad
Even with desert road lack of drainage, I have a hard time buying the implication that roads aren't passable for the race 2 days after the rainfall.
me neither, but a Tour of Japan style, Green Mountain only stage the day after could actually be interesting.

At least if they don't start it at 6:30 in the morning as well.

edit: there's another thunderstorm forecast for this afternoon, by the way, so the change is probably not because of yesterday only.

Last edited:
  • Wow