• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Oman

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
wow amazing stuff.

Doubt he has peaked tho, he did mentioned he trained a little harder, but I'd say it was also a motivation thing (no need to explain why) which can make the world of difference. Also the course suited him.

could be a big big year for gesink. :)

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Notable results for me:

Gesink +0

Boasson Hagen
6. Adriano Malori +36
Albasini

Posthuma
13. Rodriguez +1:10
Gretsch

Malori was pretty quiet last year but may be getting reults in the chronos this time. Not bad for Rodriguez: most of the other names around him are strong time triallists.

[edit]
Lanark said:
But don't forget it was on road bikes

Good point, I was forgetting.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to resere judgement until we can see highlights and find out just how hilly this course was. Seems to me it must have been pretty hilly based on the average speeds...

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It was pretty hilly. But don't forget it was on road bikes, a guy like Cancellara could probably go 3 or 4 kilometers per hour faster just by riding his TT-bike.

taiwan said:
Gesink +0

Boasson Hagen
6. Adriano Malori +36
Albasini

Posthuma
13. Rodriguez +1:10
Gretsch

Malori was pretty quiet last year but may be getting reults in the chronos this time. Not bad for Rodriguez: most of the other names around him are strong time triallists.

[edit]

Good point, I was forgetting.

Aaah Jrod 13th.... obviously a VERY hilly course. Perfect for Gesink.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Canc hit 108 km/h on the downhill:

scaled.php

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Boom dropped his chain, according to Rabosport. Lost about 20 seconds because of it. He could have been somewhere around Cancellara's time. His form for the classics certainly seems to be good.

yeah I read that, still managed 8th.

Could be a chance next week.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Why the fuzz?There were 4,5km@7-13% in this 18km TT, Cancellara lost 1:44 over 5km@10% yesterday, so its not in any way shocking that Gesink could compensate the time he usually loses on flat sections.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
You know ACF, having followed your posts for a while, and the way you talk about BMC and Evans and Australians these day, and now the way you swallowed this bet:

ACF mocking was a good sport for for a while for some, but it's you who have taken the high road here, and become a very good sport instead. Kudos!

And it's nice to see others acknowledging that too.

Frosty said:
Apparently EBH was level on time with Gesin at the turn (are these timings available?) but a helicopter swooped down low over him and messed things up. Says it wouldnt have affected the overall though.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,20386_6761748,00.html
Gesink mentioned he was 2 seconds faster than EBH at the turn, so it already surprised me that EBH lost so much time on the way back.

Francois the Postman said:
You know ACF, having followed your posts for a while, and the way you talk about BMC and Evans and Australians these day, and now the way you swallowed this bet:

ACF mocking was a good sport for for a while for some, but it's you who have taken the high road here, and become a very good sport instead. Kudos!

And it's nice to see others acknowledging that too.

Also, i dont know if people credited him for this yesterday (i wasnt on this thread because i didnt want it spoilt) but he was right about Greg Van Avermaet.

Ive been crediting ACF since about January though;)

Its still fan to ACF bash nonetheless.

Does anyone have the post where ACF says he will use Gesink as his avatar.

Reminds me of when Dim said he would ride a girls bike on the CHamps elysee naked if Gerraint thomas didnt ride the Tour. Someone saved it as their sig, but i wonder if he would have stood by his bet.

Francois the Postman said:
He has started a thread where you can post a suggestion for the avatar that the will use. You've got a couple of hours left, I think, to come up with a corker.

Thats not an answer to the question;)

I know ACF has the thread and all. But when Gesink won Kaziztuta wrote

Kazistuta said:
*Eagerly awaits future Gesink avatar*

So presumably ACF said that if Gesink wins hell make it his avatar or something to that effect.

Which leads me back to the original question, does anyone know where i can find the post where he says it.

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Okay, I've gone back to hagen winning the overall. If Gesink holds on and wins the overall in the tour of oman, I will have a pic of Gesink as my avatar till May. Deal everyone?

tbh, Gesink hinted in his interview that he really came to win the Green mountain stage. Anything in the gc is just a bonus. early days in season 2011 :p

it's right here :D