• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of the Alps 2024 (April 15 - 19)

Whisper it... this might actually be the best route this race has had. And with Ineos having sent a weak team, it might even be raced.

Startlist

Overview
DayStageDistance (km)Star ratingStarts atBroadcast starts atETA
Monday, April 151133.3***12:0013:4015:08 - 15:27
Tuesday, April 162190.7**10:3513:3515:04 - 15:32
Wednesday, April 173124.8***11:1512:3514:12 - 14:30
Thursday, April 184141.3****11:2013:3515:02 - 15:28
Friday, April 195118.6***12:2013:3515:08 - 15:26

Official stage recons, with Daniel Oss:

The route
Stage 1: Neumarkt / Egna - Kurtinig a.d.W. / Cortina ssdV, 133.3k

The race kicks off with a stage through the wine country centred around a deceptively-hard climb. Unfortunately, they've made the flat after the final descent twice as long as it needed to be to get to the finish, but we could still see GC action.

Also, the final climb isn't categorised - get used to that, this race traditionally makes RCS climb categorisations seem sensible.
STAGE1-2.png

Andalo:
AndaloN.gif

Penon/Penone:
8aT09ke.png

Stage 2: Salurn / Salorno - Stans, 190.7k
Long (by the standards of this race) transitional stage from the southern edge of Südtirol to the other side of the Alps and into the Inn valley. Again, it's a day that may or may not be a GC day.

STAGE2-2.png

Brenner / Brennero:
BrennerS.gif

Gnadenwald:
3guyLdk.gif

Stage 3: Schwaz - Schwaz, 124.8k
Now it's time for the stages I'm legitimately excited about. This part of the Inn valley in particular is littered with steep climbs between two and six kilometres in length; we got a sample last year on the opening stage, but today we go full Basque mode.
STAGE3-3.png

Weerberg (only the first 3 kilometres):
59GsoBY.gif

Pillberg:
jVmo17u.png

Stage 4: Leifers / Laives - Borgo Valsugana, 141,3k
We head back into Italy for the undisputed queen stage. It has the potential to be an absolute cracker, but will the big guns go for it?
STAGE4-1.png

Passo di San Lugano:
SanLuganoW.gif

Passo di Redebus (including the preceding wall to Sveseri):
RedebusN.gif

Passo del Compet (only the section from km 12.5 to km 1.7):
VetrioloTermeW.gif

Passo del Vetriolo (only the final 9.5k, i.e. starting with the 14% section):
VetrioloTermeE.gif

Col San Marco:
vWRoL85.png

Stage 5: Levico Terme - Levico Terme, 118.6k
The final stage is not one of the hardest of the race, but depending on the GC situation it does have the potential to be a banana skin.
STAGE5-2.png

Palù del Fersina / Palai en Bersntol*:
oI9sNrj.gif

Colle di Tenna:
vxqlOh5.png

*if they're going to put bilingual names for everything in Südtirol, they really should also do so for the parts of Trentino with an officially-recognised language that isn't Italian...

Nice route IMHO. At least we will have great sceneries!
Well, we'll see about that...

Unfortunately the weather is predicted to be really bad here in Tyrol the next couple of days.

Yesterday it was 30.7°C here in Innsbruck - for Wednesday and Thursday they predict snow at around 800m >>> so this could affect Brenne but also Weerberg and Piller Berg (if the weather is really bad).

Let's hope for the best, but be prepared to experienve the worst ;)

Ben O'Connor to win and RhD to whine about the finishing times.

Well, it is silly. But maybe the local population insisted the roads had to be clear before they head home from work.
What I really dislike is a race randomly finishing early as to not "clash" with another race. Another race in a completely different country.
Like, why are they finishing even earlier Wednesday? Please tell me it's not so "they won't clash" with Flech Wallonne. They literally can't, unless they get terribly lost.

Yesterday it was 30.7°C here in Innsbruck

That's insane for Europe in April!

Well, it is silly. But maybe the local population insisted the roads had to be clear before they head home from work.
What I really dislike is a race randomly finishing early as to not "clash" with another race. Another race in a completely different country.
Like, why are they finishing even earlier Wednesday? Please tell me it's not so "they won't clash" with Flech Wallonne. They literally can't, unless they get terribly lost.

That's insane for Europe in April!
That's the main reasoning. They often finish in lateral valleys (not so much this year)where there aren't any real alternative roads, so they finish earlier so that the people can get back home from work like usual.

Also 30 degrees in Bozen, but now it gets colder. Tomorrow they might face 3 degrees and a bit of rain on the Brenner.

of course it's not to clash with Fleche, and it totally makes sense. You may be watching a stream and/or a re-live anyway, but that's not the audience anyone targets. If it clashes with a bigger race, "no one" will watch it.