• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of the Alps 2024 (April 15 - 19)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.png

GC
Clipboard.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JosefK
I'll be honest with you, this is the best I have seen Sosa in a long time. From the start of the year he has been up front with the best. Of course, one crosswind and there goes 15 minutes.
As a complete rider, this is easily the best he's ever been. Surviving multiple climbs, surviving horrific weather. Those are two things he was never able to do. Wether he still has it in him to be the best unipuerto climber there ever was, I do not know.

Did pretty well in the Catalunya that he won, after a long break with Carapaz in terrible conditions.
yeah, I was thinking about that one as well, but it seems to be a bit hit or miss for him, at least. In that cold Tirreno stage van der Poel won a couple of years back, Higuita completely blew up as well.

Usually he is doing the Ardennes at this time of the year, though, so maybe his shape just isn't quite there anyway. Unless Bora has given up on that.

Given that Tobias Steinhauser was a legend in your eyes, basically because he just was a rider in the early noughties, I think it is established that you have a bit of nostalgia bias about that time installed in you ;)

So do you think he's going to call Stephen Williams a legend one day?

The 2006 TdF was the first Tour I followed extensively, but I didn't even watch any of the stages before the first rest day, because I was on family holiday and got home just in time for the World Cup final. Still I also rate Honchar as being a legend after his performances in that race.

I still remember 2005 quite vividly when T-Mobile was like "yeah no Zabel, we bring 3 leaders and 6 domestiques" (including Steinhauser, obviously). Then on the first medium mountain day, they attacked everywhere, but the next day on Courchevel they got positively slaughtered and everything was back to normal on the German squad, dragging an overweight Ullrich up the mountains while Klödi and Vino were up to no good either on that day.

Ahh the memories

Reactions: Sandisfan
I still remember 2005 quite vividly when T-Mobile was like "yeah no Zabel, we bring 3 leaders and 6 domestiques" (including Steinhauser, obviously). Then on the first medium mountain day, they attacked everywhere, but the next day on Courchevel they got positively slaughtered and everything was back to normal on the German squad, dragging an overweight Ullrich up the mountains while Klödi and Vino were up to no good either on that day.

Ahh the memories
What was the first Tour you watched?