• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Track Cycling at the 2020...2021 Olympics

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Official should have approach the track with flags indicating that GB had split, they failed to do so.

Rodenberg always do the last 2-4 rpunds with his head down only seeing the black line, the coach and any flags from the officials.

Comments about disqualifying him is just ignorant. I agree that his temper is to much, but as one states it is many years of sacrifice ruined in that second.
He has texted with the GB rider and they are fine.

The officials didn't do their job and he didn't look up, but he shouldn't have to and noone can argue that the best team didn't win - so please show some sportsmanship.

Denmark has been a class of their own the last couple of years.

Brilliant. Someone defending Rodenberg's behaviour telling me to show some sportsmanship. Please, irony is meant to be my forte as a Brit.

Negligent of the officials not to display the flag, but from his comments it seems he had seen Tanfield dropping back, the issue was he dropped back faster than expected: "half-lap before I hit Charlie I saw him and then suddenly he was much closer than I knew".

Anyway, these sorts of things can happen and it's perhaps understandable that one wouldn't expect the GB team to produce such a poor performance and disintegrate so rapidly in the semi after their earlier time (losing Clancy overnight played a part I guess). The GB team won't be proud of their efforts and I'm sure Rodenberg isn't proud of himself either as despite his later insistence he wasn't shouting at Tanfield it didn't look good.

But on to the final, where they'll have to be at their best to cope with Ganna and the 3 trying to hang onto his wheel.

Brilliant. Someone defending Rodenberg's behaviour telling me to show some sportsmanship. Please, irony is meant to be my forte as a Brit.

He thought it was the 4th GB-man and their still were 3 ahead and Denmark thereby would have lost 5-10 years of hard work. Get up from the couch and make an effort yourself - so you know why feelings can go high or just watch a Sunday League game. In the heat of battle emotions can get high, the important thing is that you evaluate when you have cooled down and apologises - as he did.

BTW Danes humor is based on irony and sarcasm, that's why we love British comedies more than what Hollywood normally offers ;-)

So, a Danish rider ploughs into the back of a rider, wiping them out. No action.

Katy Marchant moves a millisecond early gaining no real advantage, relegation.

The sheer incompetence of the UCI never ceases to amaze me. A perpetually clown-like group of utter fuckwits and morons.

So, a Danish rider ploughs into the back of a rider, wiping them out. No action.

Katy Marchant moves a millisecond early gaining no real advantage, relegation.

The sheer incompetence of the UCI never ceases to amaze me. A perpetually clown-like group of utter fuckwits and morons.

No a Danish rider was concentrated on during his job and get his team to the final (and a new WR), but unfortunately the officials didn't warned him with flags and whistle as they should, so they crashed. Luckily both he and the GB was okay afterwards, so Rodenberg can compete in the final.

I don't know if the 18.000 pound GB bike survived and when it will be send into retail, but I know that it doesn't concern the GB management, they are focused on tape and a shirt - easy to focus on marginal gains when all the major gains are financed :-D

A fine example of double standards and solely focus on winning at all costs...

Wow. THAT was tense!
Filippo Ganna. What a legend.
Even though I as a Dane cheered nail-biting on the four Danish boys, my admiration for Ganna did not exactly diminish by this power achievement.
Especially the ability for rapid transformation from tough road trip in Europe over time zones into a highly specialized track discipline of which has been high on my personal list since LA1984 (Edit: incl. a steep hill road TT a few days before)
And ofcourse congrats to the other members of the Italian squad.
Until a few years ago, it was all about AUS, GB, NZ and then in second row Germany and Denmark, until the latter team found a way to put it together for the last couple of years.
But the Italian squad surprised me positively in the finest way:
OG gold with a new WR
Chapeau!

Last edited:
British people emotions

:mad: goddamn dirty tape what

:) files five different complaints

:oops: that man crashed into our lad who was far behind the other lads and the other lad who had stopped minutes before

:) files more complaints

:rolleyes: foreigners that don't understand fair play

Instead of generalising millions of people, did you watch the previous few Olympic Games?

GB had protests about them at every one, and unlike the Danish vests and go faster plasters, they were mainly rejected.

It’s all part of the fun and games of being the fastest team.

Reactions: OldCranky
No a Danish rider was concentrated on during his job and get his team to the final (and a new WR), but unfortunately the officials didn't warned him with flags and whistle as they should, so they crashed. Luckily both he and the GB was okay afterwards, so Rodenberg can compete in the final.

I don't know if the 18.000 pound GB bike survived and when it will be send into retail, but I know that it doesn't concern the GB management, they are focused on tape and a shirt - easy to focus on marginal gains when all the major gains are financed :-D

A fine example of double standards and solely focus on winning at all costs...
The bike is already for sale through Hope. Compared to the GB only developed bike it’s much more available. The GB bike doesn’t break the rules, using tape and illegal base layers does. It clearly wasn’t the reason the Danes won, so there’s no need to attempt to muddy the waters.

Instead of generalising millions of people, did you watch the previous few Olympic Games?

GB had protests about them at every one, and unlike the Danish vests and go faster plasters, they were mainly rejected.

It’s all part of the fun and games of being the fastest team.

Indeed.

Also, speaking as a Brit (although not for 'The British' since I'm just one bloke :D) I think it's pretty obvious that the medal factory is now closed, at least for the foreseeable future. That's sport - it has cycles (no pun intended) and both athletes and coaches progress through them and out the other side.

I certainly don't know anybody who thinks this is anything other than the natural order of things. You get good, you put yourself above the parapet to be shot at, then someone else takes over. It was ever thus.

TRENDING THREADS