• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2014 > 2015

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
MellowJohnny said:
Sky and Movistar are two of the big hitters in the sport as far as wages are concerned.

BMC has infite budget, basicaally.

OPQS. Look at the team mate. Massive.

Astana has hugggge budget.

Katusha has a hugge budget but they waste it a lot imo.

Anyhow these four have almost same budgets as the other two. The gap isnt that big between this six.

Gloin22 said:

Anyhow these four have almost same budgets as the other two. The gap isnt that big between this six.

Yes all the World Tour Teams are pretty loaded - getting a giant marque name wouldn't be attainable for all, but mosts have big budgets.

That's why I liked I always liked Vacansoleil - a caravan company taking on Rupert Murdoch sounded something a kin to David and Goliath.

Gloin22 said:

You should certainly include another russian team here... Contador and Sagan. That is massive money..

Gloin22 said:

Don't forget Tinkoff.

A few years ago they had the budget posting for each team and it was actually remarkable how low Movistar and then-Liquigas were in relative budget considering their prominence. Valverde's wages being back on the bill and Quintana's rise certainly doesn't help on that front, but then they couldn't afford to keep Costa if they held on to the big two. They may have been hiding their 'real' budget by the 'subcontractors' method like Sky did for a while.

Lampre have historically had a pretty small budget for their prominence as well, so the high profile signing of Costa was a bit out of character for them. Horner is a bit of a special case given the last minute addition.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Then how is it that Movistar have about one third of the budget Sky have?

how do you know? they certainly have a lower budget but that is going almost all to salarie'/s while most of sky budget goes into research and development

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
According to several Twitter sources, Winner Anacona will shortly decide about his future. The most likely destinations that were named are his current team Lampre or Movistar which also offered him a contract.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
MellowJohnny said:
Sky and Movistar are two of the big hitters in the sport as far as wages are concerned.

no. bmc and astana are far worse. they have bigger budgets and pay way more salary 4 million nibali?! and you don';t even want to know about bmc who literally have an unlimited budget

Ryo Hazuki said:
Giro: Konig, Siutsou, Cataldo, Nordhaug, Seb Henao, Kiryienka, Puccio, Eisel, Viviani

Tour: Froome, Roche, Konig, Poels, Nieve, Porte, Ser Henao, Kennaugh, Thomas

Vuelta: Roche, Nieve, Kiryienka, Earle, Poels, Stannard, Ser Henao, Rowe, Viviani

out of all these only froome makes millions, konig hasn't even signed yet but still wouldn't make that much and the rets of the time are all pretty cheap relatively. look at movistar who have quintana and valverde who combined make more money then the entire sky line-up here.

Good point, I think the Froome/Wiggins combo was pretty unique in 2012, but then again Froome wasn't that expensive probably. I'm pretty interested in what people think Porte is worth

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Piti4Podiums said:
According to several Twitter sources, Winner Anacona will shortly decide about his future. The most likely destinations that were named are his current team Lampre or Movistar which also offered him a contract.
movistar would be a good team for him imo.

Current Movistar situation: http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=75063

They currently have 22 riders under contract for 2015 including 2 new signings (Ruben Fernandez and Marc Soler).

20 riders are certain to remain with the team for 2015:

Amador
Anton
Capecchi
Castroviejo
Erviti
Gadret
Jesus Herrada
Jose Herrada
Intxausti
Gorka Izagirre
Ion Izagirre
Lobato
Malori
Moreno
Dayer Quintana
Nairo Quintana
Rojas
Sutterlin
Valverde
Visconti

Unzue will reduce the numbers from 27 this year to 25 in 2015 so there are only three places left.

Seven riders are out of contract at this stage: Dowsett, Gutierrez, Lastras, Plaza, Sanz, Szmyd, Ventoso.

JRanton said:
Do we actually know what the Movistar budget is? I think being the only Spanish WT team gives them quite a competitive advantage when it comes to paying their excellent domestiques/second tier GC guys.
Last figure I read was somewhere around 10 million. It could be that with re-signing Quintana and Valverde the figure has gone up quite a bit.

JRanton said:
Seven riders are out of contract at this stage: Dowsett, Gutierrez, Lastras, Plaza, Sanz, Szmyd, Ventoso.
Szmyd... I remember reading here that he was one of the best climbers in the world, back when he still rode for Basso.

theyoungest said:
Last figure I read was somewhere around 10 million. It could be that with re-signing Quintana and Valverde the figure has gone up quite a bit.

Szmyd... I remember reading here that he was one of the best climbers in the world, back when he still rode for Basso.

Yeah, pretty sure Szmyd won't be staying. I think Lastras is retiring and don't see Ventoso being extended either (Lobato and Rojas are better/younger).

Sanz is Unzue's nephew apparently so that might save him. I'm not sure Dowsett actually wants to stay after his Tour snub. Gutierrez probably has a few years left. Plaza hasn't done much this year.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:
Good point, I think the Froome/Wiggins combo was pretty unique in 2012, but then again Froome wasn't that expensive probably. I'm pretty interested in what people think Porte is worth

not such a good point actually, especially coming from a man who called hivert an expensive rider.

Ventoso is better than Rojas. Rojas is more versatile but Ventoso can actually win sometimes. Lobato can win on the same terrains Rojas can (see Castillo de Burgos).

Szmyd is now 35-36, he was a great climber five years ago, but he's just past it now. Lastras will either extend or retire. Can't see him anywhere other than Abarcá. Same goes for Guti, though I expect him to ride on for another year or two. Rubinho hasn't been the same rider since his accident in Murcía in 2011 and will probably return to Portugal for a couple of years before retirement, I'd expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.