• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2014 > 2015

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Farrar is now the sixth year in a row in the cqranking top 100. Every team should be interested in signing such a consistent rider.

Dominik Nerz joins NetApp/Bora for the next years. Good deal for both sides, riding on his own he should be able to better his 14th/18th places in the Vuelta GCs.

Farrar's biggest problem is, he is not a sprinter, but was still Garmins fastest rider. He is kind of like Boonen or Cancellara: good in classics with a decent sprint. Only not as strong as these two mentioned. So he did not win a lot of classics or a lot of sprints, but he will get you lots of top 10-placings. If he does not hit the deck ... :eek:

theyoungest said:
Bos has 10 wins every season, EBH used to do about the same, and Farrar... well, yeah, I dunno.
I'd be shocked to find out that was true.
Akuryo said:
Farrar's biggest problem is, he is not a sprinter, but was still Garmins fastest rider. He is kind of like Boonen or Cancellara: good in classics with a decent sprint. Only not as strong as these two mentioned. So he did not win a lot of classics or a lot of sprints, but he will get you lots of top 10-placings. If he does not hit the deck ... :eek:

Not sure what you mean. Farrar is definitely a sprinter. He's always been a sprinter. That's pretty much all he's good at. Unfortunately, he's just not that fast any more but there were a couple of years where he was arguably the best sprinter in the world not named Cavendish.

jaylew said:
I'd be shocked to find out that was true.

Not sure what you mean. Farrar is definitely a sprinter. He's always been a sprinter. That's pretty much all he's good at. Unfortunately, he's just not that fast any more but there were a couple of years where he was arguably the best sprinter in the world not named Cavendish.

Which says a lot about the quality of the sprinters a couple of years ago.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Nerz to Bora? If he is the main GC guy, I just cant imagine they will be invited to any GC unless they sign some major leadout support for Sam Bennett so they can focus on sprints. Without Konig, this team is pretty weak . Machado can climb but is inconsistent and therefore he is not suited to any leadership role.

kingjr said:
Which says a lot about the quality of the sprinters a couple of years ago.

I think it mostly says he used to be a lot faster. I agree the depth of the sprint field was not quite as good as it is now but people forget he used to beat Greipel on a regular basis and Petacchi when he was faster. He even beat Cavendish quite a few times. Believe me, I remember, as it used to frustrate me because I never liked the guy as a rider.

jaylew said:
Not sure what you mean. Farrar is definitely a sprinter. He's always been a sprinter. That's pretty much all he's good at. Unfortunately, he's just not that fast any more but there were a couple of years where he was arguably the second best sprinter in the world not on HTC.

FTFY
wink.gif

Jancouver said:
Nerz to Bora? If he is the main GC guy, I just cant imagine they will be invited to any GC unless they sign some major leadout support for Sam Bennett so they can focus on sprints. Without Konig, this team is pretty weak . Machado can climb but is inconsistent and therefore he is not suited to any leadership role.

Machado is on the way out and as far as I know he already has a deal with a World Tour team for next year (source: an editor of Portuguese Cycling Magazine with close ties to the cyclist).

Ricco' said:
Gasparotto is leaving Astana.

Well, I don't see him in a team other than Lampre or Katusha in this moment. Others may be full right now or I don't see a rider like him there. And he should be able to still secure a place within the WT.

sad,but he aint getting any younger and he is quite a one trick pony, and that one trick is a declining uphill sprint. Need room for Lutsenko as captain in the classics over the next years:cool:

:p

jaylew said:
I think it mostly says he used to be a lot faster. I agree the depth of the sprint field was not quite as good as it is now but people forget he used to beat Greipel on a regular basis

Nah, there is not much difference between the two, he beats Greipel because Greipel is only fast, and not much else. Besides their head 2 head results are only slightly in favour of Cavendish since they're riding for different teams. In terms of speed I think Greipel matched him as far back as 2010, maybe 2009 even.

Petacchi beat him a couple of times, but he was already 35 and certainly not as good as he was between 2003 and 2007.

Ricco' said:
Machado is on the way out and as far as I know he already has a deal with a World Tour team for next year (source: an editor of Portuguese Cycling Magazine with close ties to the cyclist).

Konig and Machado as stage race leaders to Nerz is, without meaning any disrespect, a big drop in expectations.

Presumably though they haven't spent all the money they save by losing Konig and Machado on Nerz. So we should expect a highish profile signing of some kind. They can't really think that Nerz or Bennett, who is a neopro, are currently big enough names to bring GT invites.

kingjr said:
Nah, there is not much difference between the two, he beats Greipel because Greipel is only fast, and not much else. Besides their head 2 head results are only slightly in favour of Cavendish since they're riding for different teams. In terms of speed I think Greipel matched him as far back as 2010, maybe 2009 even.

Petacchi beat him a couple of times, but he was already 35 and certainly not as good as he was between 2003 and 2007.

I guess I'm not sure where we're disagreeing. I'm just trying to say that Farrar has definitely lost some speed in the last few years as sprinters often do.

theyoungest said:
Huh?

EBH in his heyday (2009): 13 wins.
Bos, just last year: 12 wins.

It seems I was too conservative ;)

I was just talking about Bos. That must have the quietest 12 wins in history. 8 in Asia and of course 6 of them were in the Tour of Hainan at the end of the year where his only competition was his own teammates. :eek: Didn't Belkin win like every stage of that race and weren't they the only WT team?

And I was really referring to the statement that he has 10 wins every year. Last year was the only time he's done it. 4,5, and 6 before that. That said, he definitely has a shot this year if they do Hainan again. :p

jaylew said:
I was just talking about Bos. That must have the quietest 12 wins in history. 8 in Asia and of course 6 of them were in the Tour of Hainan at the end of the year where his only competition was his own teammates. :eek: Didn't Belkin win like every stage of that race and weren't they the only WT team?

And I was really referring to the statement that he has 10 wins every year. Last year was the only time he's done it. 4,5, and 6 before that. That said, he definitely has a shot this year if they do Hainan again. :p
And which races do you expect MTN will put him in? They race cr.p like Langkawi as well.

He's already at 8 wins this year BTW. And no, I don't think he's a great rider, but he does win races. Okay, maybe not 10 every year on average ;)

jaylew said:
I guess I'm not sure where we're disagreeing. I'm just trying to say that Farrar has definitely lost some speed in the last few years as sprinters often do.

It's all good, we aren't disagreeing about Farrar ;) I was just saying that his actual loss of speed might be a bit clouded by the increased quality of the sprinters field. But I agree he is not as good as he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS