• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2014 > 2015

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
roundabout said:
With all due respect to Machado, Nerz is probably as good if not better as a GT rider.

1 week races, yeah Machado is better.

I think Nerz will prove a good signing for Team Borra,

With regards Borra/Netapp - they kind of have a revolving door of riders that come and go, I'm sure they will pick up another few good riders that don't get contracts at WT level.

I think Scott Twaites should do well for them next year also.

roundabout said:
With all due respect to Machado, Nerz is probably as good if not better as a GT rider.

1 week races, yeah Machado is better.

With regards Borra/Netapp - they kind of have a revolving door of riders that come and go, I'm sure they will pick up another few good riders that don't get contracts at WT level.

Choocher said:
Thanks Izzy. The follow-up with Vaughters is good, too. I bet Creed would be tempted at Smartstop if they have the budget.

apparently money has never been an issue, when Gus and Lachlan started cycling their dad just founded a team. If they want to race for Smartstop they'd find a way to make that happen I think.

MellowJohnny said:

They were very stable this year, only bringing in one experienced pro and one neopro, albeit good ones.

Nerz is a good rider and a good fit, but he is not at this stage of his career an ideal headline rider a team wants when looking for invites. Neither is Bennet, again at least yet. And at the moment the two of them and, I suppose, Barta are the only real leaders they have signed for next year.

They should have some free money though, so there may be a name or two added. I can't see how they hope to get a Tour wildcard again otherwise. But it does seem a bit strange that their press release implies that Nerz will be the main man for stage races. They need another rider with higher name recognition.

Zinoviev Letter said:
They were very stable this year, only bringing in one experienced pro and one neopro, albeit good ones.

Nerz is a good rider and a good fit, but he is not at this stage of his career an ideal headline rider a team wants when looking for invites. Neither is Bennet, again at least yet. And at the moment the two of them and, I suppose, Barta are the only real leaders they have signed for next year.

They should have some free money though, so there may be a name or two added. I can't see how they hope to get a Tour wildcard again otherwise. But it does seem a bit strange that their press release implies that Nerz will be the main man for stage races. They need another rider with higher name recognition.

I'm not sure whether Paul Voss is there also?

I guess with Konig and Machado going leaving they take their world tour points with them.

With MTN strengthening there roster I can see them taking Netapps place in WTs - A shame.

jaylew said:
I think it mostly says he used to be a lot faster. I agree the depth of the sprint field was not quite as good as it is now but people forget he used to beat Greipel on a regular basis and Petacchi when he was faster. He even beat Cavendish quite a few times. Believe me, I remember, as it used to frustrate me because I never liked the guy as a rider.

My own theory about what happened to Farrar is that he got scared in sprints again. When he was younger he was very afraid and uncomfortable in the peloton but then he seemed to have gotten over that during the period where he was sprinting well. His decline in sprinting pretty much coincides with the death of his friend Wouter Weylandt which if I remember correctly also coincided with Farrar also crashing a bit around the same time. So maybe his lack of sprinting results is the result of not having that edge anymore due to slight fear.

IzzyStradlin said:
Seems like something Jelly Belly would be interested in too. I imagine they would get more out of him than they got from Matty Lloyd.

Yeah, I agree. There are some good options out there for the Mortons. I bet it won't take Gus too long to be competitive on the US domestic scene, and Lachlan could still focus on races like California/Utah/Colorado, which he has already proven to be on a very good level at and which suit his strengths.

Zinoviev Letter said:

I wonder if someone like Christian Knees would fit the squad nicely?

ingsve said:
So maybe his lack of sprinting results is the result of not having that edge anymore due to slight fear.

I just don't think he was ever a great sprinter. Always seemed more like a classics guy. Not sure what led to the focus on GT sprints...team goals? $$$?

And he got unlucky, after Mcewen and Zabel retired he thought he would be the man. Then Cav dominates, out of nowhere, for like 3 years. Then sprints get more competitive than ever with Kittel, Degenkolb, Greipel, Sagan etc etc.

He's a very good rider, just not quite top-tier.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
search said:
apparently money has never been an issue, when Gus and Lachlan started cycling their dad just founded a team. If they want to race for Smartstop they'd find a way to make that happen I think.

Fundie hipsters being emo about a cycling career? ::facepalm::

Status
Not open for further replies.