• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2015 > 2016

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

WheelofGear said:
One of the managers of AG2R stated that Peraud is younger than some of the guys in their early 30's. And I think he is right about that.

Having a long career on the top of the game is how to determinate a cyclist's age. Cunego is actually one of the oldest guys in the peloton. Basso is a fossil.

I've wondered this a few times: it does seem like cyclists have a certain shelf life that only kicks in when they start at pro level, regardless of age. An 18 year old first year pro could be done by 30, but a 29 year old first year pro could go until 40.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
WheelofGear said:
One of the managers of AG2R stated that Peraud is younger than some of the guys in their early 30's. And I think he is right about that.

Having a long career on the top of the game is how to determinate a cyclist's age. Cunego is actually one of the oldest guys in the peloton. Basso is a fossil.

I've wondered this a few times: it does seem like cyclists have a certain shelf life that only kicks in when they start at pro level, regardless of age. An 18 year old first year pro could be done by 30, but a 29 year old first year pro could go until 40.
horner is probably the best example of that. it was also what motivated pinotti to even continue cycling past 30 he said in interviews.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Conti reported that there would be a big american sponsor which might take on the WT license of BMC (the actual BMC would merge with IAM and "use" their swiss license); this team could possibly have Nibali and his closest group, as team leader.

Etixx didnt sign some big names and Levefre would be interested in Sagan as he could leave Tinkoff.

Basso could quit racing after the Tour and accept a role as DS in either Tinkoff or his long time friend, Riis's new team.

Michele said:
Conti reported that there would be a big american sponsor which might take on the WT license of BMC (the actual BMC would merge with IAM and "use" their swiss license); this team could possibly have Nibali and his closest group, as team leader.

Etixx didnt sign some big names and Levefre would be interested in Sagan as he could leave Tinkoff.

Basso could quit racing after the Tour and accept a role as DS in either Tinkoff or his long time friend, Riis's new team.

can we have more details on these?

1. Nibali to big american sponsor or to BMC-IAM?
2. Any more info on Riis' new team?

TMP402 said:
Michele said:

Cycling and new big sponsor hiring top guys? Unfortunately i don't see it happening. When was the last time that happened? 2010 with Sky after wiggins's Tour and with the londo olympics in mind?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TMP402 said:
Michele said:

don't bother. it beppe conti. he's more full of **** than the london sewers

Parrulo said:
TMP402 said:
Michele said:

Cycling and new big sponsor hiring top guys? Unfortunately i don't see it happening. When was the last time that happened? 2010 with Sky after wiggins's Tour and with the londo olympics in mind?
Sky didn't really sign that many big names at first either, not much bigger in the grand scheme of things than GreenEdge did at first. It's possibly BMC if you take one definition, when the ProConti team threw a stack of money at Evans, Ballan and Hincapie, but the rest of the team wasn't WT level. More likely, Cervélo Test Team.

Ryo Hazuki said:
TMP402 said:
WheelofGear said:

horner is probably the best example of that. it was also what motivated pinotti to even continue cycling past 30 he said in interviews.
Voigt was another who turned pro relatively late (he had to finish his time in the army) as is Adam Hansen.

pastronef said:
b.broadhurst said:
Released:

Earle (Not WT level)
Eisel (Back to Cav)
Pate (Retire)
Zandio (Retire)

I sometimes read Earle's twitter, he does not seem so chuffed about riding in a WT team. I don't know, meybe team bonding, maybe discovering how fast the big guns go etc.
Surprising, because he's shown he's good enough to stay if he wants to. Earle is never going to be a top tier rider but he's not out of place either.

Maybe he'll go to Drapac or back to Avanti if they can manage a Pro Conti licence.

Parrulo said:
TMP402 said:
Michele said:

I think the merger is possible as we have seen in the past. It just means that many from the lesser team will lose their spots. Alonso project stalled, there does not seem to be many big sponsors trying to get into the sport at the moment. Not to say it could not happen.

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Anderis said:
I actually think Dan Martin may leave Cannondale.

I can't imagine they can keep all of: Talansky, Martin, Hesjedal, Navardauskas, Langeveld, Slagter, Formolo and recently better and better Dombrowski with their budget (and they still have Moser for 2016 signed perhaps on a quite high deal when he was considered a hot prospect), Someone has to leave, perhaps. Talansky, Navardauskas and Dombrowski already have deals for 2016. Hesjedal's great Giro performance has come at the right time for him. He can ask more money now than he would be able to get after troubled 2013 and solid but unspectacular 2014.

With that many up and coming talents and limited budget, they need to chose their priorities. Or get a richer co-sponsor. I think after 2014 Dauphine it has been decided that Talansky is their main man and the team will be built around him. Dan Martin surely can enjoy a very strong support for hilly terrain in Cannondale's current roster, but maybe he may find a better deal elsewhere. I think Sky is not that unreasonable.

Why do you think that after the Dauphine that Talansky is now the leader. Martin finished about 2 mins ahead of Talansky on GC and that would have been more if he hadn't of punctured on the last climb on Fridays MTF and had to wait an age for a new wheel.
Was there something released that I missed?

edit sorry I just realized you said 2014 Dauphine. I still don't agree with the statement though. Talansky hasn't shown yet that he is a better GC rider than Martin.

grizzlee said:
Why do you think that after the Dauphine that Talansky is now the leader. Martin finished about 2 mins ahead of Talansky on GC and that would have been more if he hadn't of punctured on the last climb on Fridays MTF and had to wait an age for a new wheel.

edit sorry I just realized you said 2014 Dauphine. I still don't agree with the statement though. Talansky hasn't shown yet that he is a better GC rider than Martin.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/news/talansky-extends-two-years-garmin-builds-team-around_334228

I'm not saying who is better or something (although I believe Talansky has more potential for GTs, eventhough Martin may be better rider overall, since he can contest for wins in monuments like Liege or Lombardia), but it looks like it has been decided in 2014 that their priority is to keep Talansky and they spent a lot of money to keep him despite the interest from Team Sky. And that decision may cause there will not be enough money to keep all of the rest key riders.

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site

Anderis said:
grizzlee said:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/news/talansky-extends-two-years-garmin-builds-team-around_334228

I'm not saying who is better or something (although I believe Talansky has more potential for GTs, eventhough Martin may be better rider overall, since he can contest for wins in monuments like Liege or Lombardia), but it looks like it has been decided in 2014 that their priority is to keep Talansky and they spent a lot of money to keep him despite the interest from Team Sky. And that decision may cause there will not be enough money to keep all of the rest key riders.

That's a year old that article, a lot can change in a year. I do agree that Martin will probably leave at the end of the year. Though personally speaking I think Cannondale have gotten it wrong. In my opinion Martin is a better gc rider than Talansky and will be more liable to get stage wins and classic wins due to his superior finishing kick. Granted there is not a lot between the two GC wise but Martin I think is a better all round rider who will take a lot more wins.

grizzlee said:
That's a year old that article, a lot can change in a year.
But what cannot change is that Talansky has already signed probably well-paid deal for 2016 and the team can't change this now. I was referring to this from the very beginning. What you are trying to show is that Martin is more valuable rider than Talansky but my point was not about determining who is better but what has already happened and what is going to happen in the near future contract-wise. It's undeniable that Vaughters saw a future of the team in Talansky after last year's Dauphine, otherwise he wouldn't have been able too keep him onboard despite strong interest from other teams. And this will have its implications on 2015 > 2016 market as well.

BYOP88 said:
Jonhard said:
I noticed that INRNG's Dauphine round-up mentioned in passing that Kennaugh is about to renew with Sky... normally quite reliable.

It would be more of a shock if he left Sky, TBH.

It looks that way now I agree, and maybe he always was going to sign, but a while ago it appeared less than nailed-on. A negotiating tactic perhaps.

Not the forum's favourite rider I think it's fair to say... so one way or another I guess most people will be happy to see him stay on the death star.

Jonhard said:
BYOP88 said:
Jonhard said:
I noticed that INRNG's Dauphine round-up mentioned in passing that Kennaugh is about to renew with Sky... normally quite reliable.

It looks that way now I agree, and maybe he always was going to sign, but a while ago it appeared less than nailed-on. A negotiating tactic perhaps.

Not the forum's favourite rider I think it's fair to say... so one way or another I guess most people will be happy to see him stay on the death star.

he'd just need to wear an Europcar jersey and everybody would be cheering him for beating the sprinters last week at Dauphinè

Rohan Dennis' contract with BMC end this year.
With BMC future not clear after 2016, do you think he is looking elsewhere?

pastronef said:
Jonhard said:
BYOP88 said:
Jonhard said:

he'd just need to wear an Europcar jersey and everybody would be cheering him for beating the sprinters last week at Dauphinè

Rohan Dennis' contract with BMC end this year.
With BMC future not clear after 2016, do you think he is looking elsewhere?

Greenedge? Trek? Sky?

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Re:

nhowson said:
Erythropoietin said:
Not much of a rumour anymore. Orica-GreenEDGE has confirmed the signing.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/orica-greenedge-confirm-signing-of-rob-power-from-2016

Maybe this is the new Cadel Evans. Orica could definitely use a good climber. They are filled with Sagan-type riders (Cort Nielsen, Ewan, Matthews, Impey, Albasini, Gerrans, Keukeleire) and time trialists. Mountain goats, cobblestone riders and pure sprinters? Not so much.

Agreed, Hayman and Keukelaire have some cobbled skill, and Chaves is a real mountain goat, with the Yates brothers and Clarke good in mid mountains, but whenever they are working in a stage it's usually solo efforts and breaks. Power will be a very good addition and could also add something to the TTT which OGE are quite good at.

I heard Orica is interested Jurgen Vandebroeck. Anyone has some news about that?

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
TMP402 said:
WheelofGear said:

Yeah thta's seems true. A lot of people sau that a rider is at his best around his 29-31 yrs but that cenrtainly is not always true.