• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2016 > 2017

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
trevim said:
GP Blanco said:
Boom is negotiating with Lotto Jumbo to replace Vanmarcke.
Where is Vanmarcke going?

Hmm, maybe Orica?
I would expect that Orica will be recruiting climbers and riders to strengthen the GT squad

Would fit the need for more cobbled riders - OGE is not that badly off for climbers.

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
trevim said:
GP Blanco said:

Hmm, maybe Orica?
I would expect that Orica will be recruiting climbers and riders to strengthen the GT squad

Would fit the need for more cobbled riders - OGE is not that badly off for climbers.

Since orica have to re-sign chaves for a lot of money now, + yates + mathews etc. I doubt they will have much budget left

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
trevim said:
GP Blanco said:

Hmm, maybe Orica?

I think a couple more climbing type Doms will be brought in now that Chaves has shown he can compete over 3 weeks, Plaza is good but 36, Txurruka is handy then you have young riders in Haig and Howson (really is coming along nicely this season), I doubt we will see the Yates brothers working for Chaves, Power won't be racing for at least a season and the only other okay Dom for the hills is Meier.
I don't know if OGE really will be going after cobbled riders, I think they are happy with who they have and if they get a good result it's enough, Keukeleire, Durbridge, Docker, Cort, Edomodson showed promise in the U23 ranks winning Ronde van Vlaanderen Beloften and of course Hayman is riding another season

Re:

yaco said:
Chavez is contracted to 2018 - OGE may have extra sponsorship dollars from Asia - Doubt Matthews will be at OGE in 2017.

Much will depend on whether the Yates twins will take the UK Postal bait or not. That would free up some $$$$. Other riders going on contract are:
Ewan: almost certain re-signing although he may get an unpleasant shock if his head has got too big and too greedy.
Durbridge: may seek more opportunities elsewhere
Cort: young cobbles prospect and quick finisher. Appears to be progressing well if low-key. Will be interesting to know how well he has gelled with the team as this will probably be a key factor in him staying/going.
Tzurruka: only a 1 year deal. Was useful on a couple of Giro stages but his career has always been more of an opportunist than a domestique. Does he really represent value for $$$

Not sure what will happen with Matthews. Clearly there is a significant issue with Gerrans but Gerrans deal runs out end of 2017. Gerrans has been top dog at OGE but he will be 37 next year and the team is evolving. If he wants to continue, it would be on the understanding that his role would be a secondary one once they get to Europe. He may not like that but its likely to be a case of take it OR retire OR look elsewhere. A lot of AUS riders have "moved on" or been "moved on" from OGE so they have proven they can make these calls come contract time.

As for Matthews, he may be able to get some better $$$ but what other teams would actually be able to deliver the general level of precedence and support that he has got ? There's a few maybes but you couldn't give a definitive yes. If he were to stay at OGE, one would suspect there would be no crossover of races w Gerrans and he's be the numero uno for MSR, AGR & potentially the Laurentian races.

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Chavez is contracted to 2018 - OGE may have extra sponsorship dollars from Asia - Doubt Matthews will be at OGE in 2017.

Much will depend on whether the Yates twins will take the UK Postal bait or not. That would free up some $$$$. Other riders going on contract are:
Ewan: almost certain re-signing although he may get an unpleasant shock if his head has got too big and too greedy.
Cort: young cobbles prospect and quick finisher. Appears to be progressing well if low-key. Will be interesting to know how well he has gelled with the team as this will probably be a key factor in him staying/going.
Tzurruka: only a 1 year deal. Was useful on a couple of Giro stages but his career has always been more of an opportunist than a domestique. Does he really represent value for $$$

It would be interesting to see what Durbridge could do moving to a different set-up, he's shown this season that he's on the way back to some type of form and I still think he will progress as a rider so maybe a move away would help that. I think Cort will be re-signed, well they should try and keep him at least as he's coming along quite nicely and does have good potential in the cobbled races as you mentioned. Txurruka is worth another 1 year contract, he's handy enough that if something does go wrong in a GT that he could salvage something going for stage wins but I guess it all depends on who else they have there eye on if he gets another contract or not

Re:

[quote="yaco"] Chavez is contracted to 2018 - OGE may have extra sponsorship dollars from Asia - Doubt Matthews will be at OGE in 2017.[/quote]

Chavito is very pleased with OGE - I even doubt external forces could intervene to change his mind - not even SKY with money can pursuit him otherwise since he's the indisputable GT rider to ever give OGE a genuine GT victory

StryderHells said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

It would be interesting to see what Durbridge could do moving to a different set-up, he's shown this season that he's on the way back to some type of form and I still think he will progress as a rider so maybe a move away would help that. I think Cort will be re-signed, well they should try and keep him at least as he's coming along quite nicely and does have good potential in the cobbled races as you mentioned. Txurruka is worth another 1 year contract, he's handy enough that if something does go wrong in a GT that he could salvage something going for stage wins but I guess it all depends on who else they have there eye on if he gets another contract or not

Re Cort, he certainly is promising and has been quietly impressive in the time he's been at OGE. I would most certainly look to keep him; the issue may be whether he wants to stay/is happy at OGE and/or what other offers he may receive.

Re Durbridge, he certainly could be very useful on cobbles but OGE already have Keukeleire, Cort, Hayman & Edmondson may progress down these lines. It may be a case that he may still see some opportunities at OGE or may feel he needs to move on.

Of the the 3 young AUS neo-pros, Haig & Power are pegged as climbers. Power is currently sidelined with illness but Haig has shown up well so its likely they will look to nurture him

Re Chaves & OGE; its patently clear that the little guy loves this team and his team mates & the team staff love him. Contrary to what some feared at the start of this team; it has NOT been an "Aussie Mates Club" but rather somewhere where riders from any nationality with the right attitude & right team ethos will fit in, be appreciated for what they bring to the team and be successful. We've seen that with Albasini, Impey, Keukeleire, the Yates twins but Chaves has been the most vivid illustration.

I suspect Movistar WILL pursue him come end 2018 but I think it will have to be one very tempting offer and/or there being a souring of the relationship with OGE for such a move to be a fait accompli.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

GenericBoonenFan said:
TMP402 said:
From the Bahrain project thread:

pastronef said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-victory-cements-nibalis-role-as-future-leader-of-bahrain-cycling-team/

Nibali, Vanotti, Agnoli, Colbrelli, Bennati, Majka, Roche, Ulissi rumored to join.

Any bahreini (?) cyclists to join the team?

Of course! The Prince Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa.

He is already doing triathlons so why not a few bike races. We already have few other donkeys riding because of the $$$ so why not some Arab Sheik :cool:

Re:

TMP402 said:

pastronef said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-victory-cements-nibalis-role-as-future-leader-of-bahrain-cycling-team/

Nibali, Vanotti, Agnoli, Colbrelli, Bennati, Majka, Roche, Ulissi rumored to join.

Colbrelli does have a contract for next season so if he's being picked up by this horrible project then they will have to buy out his contract

Mayomaniac said:
staubsauger said:
luckyboy said:
Posted in stage thread but may as well add it here because it's fun to think about even if it is garbage.

Beppe Conti on Rai just now: Contador for one year to Trek-Segafredo, then Aru will go there and Segafredo will take over sponsorship so it becomes an Italian team. Also Dumoulin to Etixx-QuickStep
The Dumoulin thing sounds weird. Those Segafredo rumors sound very plausible though.
Contador to Trek-Segafredo would be cool, I want to see a "how's that coffee Contador?" commercial for Segafredo. :D
I don't know if it's true, but they have the money and he'd have enough strong climbing support, Fränk Schleck riding for Contador would be pretty sweet.
Dumoulin to Etixx, I don't know if that will happen.
Bolded: YES! Please let that happen :D
Italic: No, please no.

GenericBoonenFan said:
TMP402 said:

pastronef said:

Any bahreini (?) cyclists to join the team?

Of course and we will discover after the americans who outclimbed the others, then the english it will now be the bahreini cyclists who outclimb everyone at the Tdf