• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2016 > 2017

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
StryderHells said:
KyoGrey said:
LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:
StryderHells said:
Lampre being PCT with a smaller budget isn't that bad, they will still get wildcards to all the big Italian races which should be enough to keep some quality riders in the squad.

Lampre moving down to PCT would not be a tragedy at all.
No more Italian teams at the highest level is a tragedy in and of itself.

The disappearance of top Spanish and Italian teams, with their place taken by Anglo-Saxon teams has something (or a lot) to do with the borefest and the lack of passion and romantic offensiveness in todays cycling.

Give me some more ONCE, Mapei, Kelme, Saeco, Euskaltel, Polti or Fassa Bortolo and less Sky, Cannondale, Orica or Dimension Data...

So the reason we didn't see alot of attacking in the Tour was because there wern't enough Spanish and Italian riders and teams?

No, it's just a factor. Of course there are other more important factors such as lighter/shorter parcours (in the name of "clean cycling") and the UCI point system.

TBH, my comment wasn't in a very serious tone :) ...however, one does wonder if certain races would be so tedious with the modern equivalents of Manolo Saiz or Giancarlo Ferretti running around.

Re:

luckyboy said:
Is this line from Benson's latest transfer article just badly-worded or have I missed out on something with Phinney?

Taylor Phinney – despite mid-season rumours – will ride on in 2017 but it is expected that he will not make a decision on his future until after the Olympic Games, where he is targeting the time trial.

Makes it seems like he could retire and I never saw or heard anything about that..

Yes that's how I read it.

Anderis said:
I see on cyclingfever there is Devenyns to Cannondale rumour. I think he was previously linked to Garmin in the past but it turned out that he signed for IAM a couple of years ago.

EDIT: ahh, I think it was for 2014, when he signed with Giant.

He said in Belgian newspapers that his managers were close to an agreement with Cannondale, but there are other options too.

Re:

JosephD said:
On this site, it was reported Carlos Verona had signed a two-year deal with Orica-BikeExchnage during TdF and Lefevere found out and has stopped him racing as he is angry and feels upset Verona leaves after all he has done for the Spaniard. Verona is now reportedly looking for a mid-season transfer a la Dennis and it is lose to happening. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/carlos-verona-set-for-mid-season-transfer-from-etixx-to-orica

Confirmed. Verona will make his debut for Orica in Burgos.

Re: Re:

Samamba said:
JosephD said:
On this site, it was reported Carlos Verona had signed a two-year deal with Orica-BikeExchnage during TdF and Lefevere found out and has stopped him racing as he is angry and feels upset Verona leaves after all he has done for the Spaniard. Verona is now reportedly looking for a mid-season transfer a la Dennis and it is lose to happening. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/carlos-verona-set-for-mid-season-transfer-from-etixx-to-orica

I think Lefevre is understandably angry though, they developed him all this time and they gave him loads of time (which Lefevre is never keen on doing with other riders) just to see him leave after he did an okay Giro.

Re: Re:

BalearicBeats said:
Samamba said:
JosephD said:

I think Lefevre is understandably angry though, they developed him all this time and they gave him loads of time (which Lefevre is never keen on doing with other riders) just to see him leave after he did an okay Giro.

I see both sides though. At the Giro he was being used as a lead out for Marcel Kittel and his legs were gone by the start of the big climbs.

Gotta love Le Fevre. Often has a his system fit when a rider leaves Etix. He's also angry that Van Marcke changed his mind about joining Etix. RECKON Le Fevre needs a squad of 100 riders to keep him happy. STRANGELY OBE see Verona helping in the mountains.