• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm sure he wanted to ride for Trek at first, but then he was given a better offer by Sky...
Well, this is the point, and one of the things that is alleged as why Acquadro is unpopular with a number of teams. He allegedly gets riders to verbally agree signings so they've got something in place, then look elsewhere, and take up the one which offers the most money, cutting out other teams who thought they had an agreement and therefore feel that the dealing has not been in good faith. If Sosa's verbal agreement was simply "I like what you're offering me and will sign if nothing better comes along", then that would be fine (although it would still then be arguably dealing in bad faith if he didn't then disclose to Trek what Sky/Ineos were offering to see if they were willing to match, having given them that commitment, but YMMV), but the scale of what was agreed to between Sosa and Trek went well beyond that. There are allegations and suggestions that this practice underpins several Acquadro protégés' signings, but obviously Sosa is the one that we know most about because Trek went public and he posted the video of himself committing to Trek.

Well, this is the point, and one of the things that is alleged as why Acquadro is unpopular with a number of teams. He allegedly gets riders to verbally agree signings so they've got something in place, then look elsewhere, and take up the one which offers the most money, cutting out other teams who thought they had an agreement and therefore feel that the dealing has not been in good faith. If Sosa's verbal agreement was simply "I like what you're offering me and will sign if nothing better comes along", then that would be fine (although it would still then be arguably dealing in bad faith if he didn't then disclose to Trek what Sky/Ineos were offering to see if they were willing to match, having given them that commitment, but YMMV), but the scale of what was agreed to between Sosa and Trek went well beyond that. There are allegations and suggestions that this practice underpins several Acquadro protégés' signings, but obviously Sosa is the one that we know most about because Trek went public and he posted the video of himself committing to Trek.

Well, my point is... Sosa seems happy enough at INEOS. It's not like they twisted his arm around and forced him to go. So why are they seemingly trying to twist Bennett's arm around and force him to stay at Bora if he won't be happy about it?

Essentially; Was the Sosa case last year 100% morally correct? Probably not... has it left Sosa in a situation where he's being constantly sidelined from doing the biggest races? No.

Last edited:
Link:

Lonneke Uneke to Boels-Dolmans.

No... I am not purposely filling this thread with women-transfers.

Last edited:
Keukeleire to EF:

Really good transfer for EF. A couple of days ago I was looking at the list of riders without contract and concluded that he would be perhaps the best option for EF from all of them. I guess he could be the missing link for Halvorsen's lead-out and their cobbled team can be very entertaining with him, Bettiol, Vanmarcke and Langeveld.

I was wondering if it would be worth to keep Modolo, but with Keukeleire onboard, I'm no longer hesitant about letting him go.

Van Wilder will turn pro on January 1st with Lotto Soudal. Not a fan of going so early, I'd rather have seen him stay for another six months like Lotto always do. One World Tour raceday and he's ineligible to ride the Girobio or Valle d'Aosta. However, I think they felt some pressure to get him over early since there were more than a few teams interested in him.

Polish champion Michal Paluta steps up to CCC’s World Tour team in 2020:

Okay, this is more of a "non-transfer", but Casper Folsach - who was supposed to ride for Uno-X next year - has been forced to pause his career due to heart troubles, the same issue that kept him out of Tour of Denmark.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
Van Wilder will turn pro on January 1st with Lotto Soudal. Not a fan of going so early, I'd rather have seen him stay for another six months like Lotto always do. One World Tour raceday and he's ineligible to ride the Girobio or Valle d'Aosta. However, I think they felt some pressure to get him over early since there were more than a few teams interested in him.

I LOVED his movie:

View: https://youtu.be/qShNioFXXwM

• Haha
Reactions: lemon cheese cake

100% agree, but like you said, I'm pretty sure LTS didnt have much of a choice with other bigger teams being interested too.

Mavi García joins Alé-Cipollini, now to be Alé-BTC Ljubljana, with the BTC team collapsing but the Slovene sponsors moving in to take secondary named duties for Alé. This also enables them to bring back Marta Bastianelli, who has been orphaned by the Virtu collapse but has also seen her stock soar after a phenomenal early season. That may bring us the return of the fun as Marta and Chloe Hosking trip over one another trying to win sprints against each other, of course.

Dan Mclay is apparently in talks with Arkea Samsic. Never really understood what he was supposed to do at EF? He's not a WT sprinter, and they don't do the sort of races where he might succeed

When they signed him he was a 25 year old three wins a season kind of rider. They hoped he’d improve a bit and develop into the kind of sprinter who picks up four or five cheap wins a year even riding a tougher level calendar. He didn’t improve and the sprint field got deeper, which is a bad combination. He can however win Coupe de France races, so Arkea is a good move.

Dan Mclay is apparently in talks with Arkea Samsic. Never really understood what he was supposed to do at EF? He's not a WT sprinter, and they don't do the sort of races where he might succeed
First of all, they signed him in 2017, after a period when they had been unable to sign contracts due to sponsorship trouble. When these problems had been resolved, there were not many quality riders on the market anymore, so they had to do whatever they could. They even signed riders like Julian Cardona or Kim Magnusson who very quickly turned out to be not WT level at all. But if you enter the transfer market in September, that's how it goes.

Secondly, I feel it's harsh to conclude he is not a WT sprinter. He finished 3rd on one of the stages of his first ever GT at TdF 2016, with Kristoff, Laporte, Sagan and Groenewegen on positions 4-7 that day. He won a HC classic after an almost legendary sprint. He was perhaps the best rider of a decent PCT team. Even at EF he was not a complete failure IMO. He gave them 2 wins in 2 years, which puts him on par with any quick guy the team has had in many years. He almost took a WT win last year in Poland. Ultimately, he is not consistent enough to be a lead-sprinter of a good WT team but I would say that his early-career results definetely earned him a shot to at least try himself at WT level and I dare to say he would have taken a couple of WT wins by now with a semi-competent lead-out. He is a borderline WT-PCT rider IMO and looking at how Slipstream had lacked a competent sprinter pretty much since Farrar's decline as they were putting their priorities elsewhere, it made sense to give it a try.

First of all, they signed him in 2017, after a period when they had been unable to sign contracts due to sponsorship trouble. When these problems had been resolved, there were not many quality riders on the market anymore, so they had to do whatever they could. They even signed riders like Julian Cardona or Kim Magnusson who very quickly turned out to be not WT level at all. But if you enter the transfer market in September, that's how it goes.

Secondly, I feel it's harsh to conclude he is not a WT sprinter. He finished 3rd on one of the stages of his first ever GT at TdF 2016, with Kristoff, Laporte, Sagan and Groenewegen on positions 4-7 that day. He won a HC classic after an almost legendary sprint. He was perhaps the best rider of a decent PCT team. Even at EF he was not a complete failure IMO. He gave them 2 wins in 2 years, which puts him on par with any quick guy the team has had in many years. He almost took a WT win last year in Poland. Ultimately, he is not consistent enough to be a lead-sprinter of a good WT team but I would say that his early-career results definetely earned him a shot to at least try himself at WT level and I dare to say he would have taken a couple of WT wins by now with a semi-competent lead-out. He is a borderline WT-PCT rider IMO and looking at how Slipstream had lacked a competent sprinter pretty much since Farrar's decline as they were putting their priorities elsewhere, it made sense to give it a try.

Cheers. I'd completely forgotten the situation with Slipstream only two years ago. It was s eller's market and Mclay had nothing to lose I suppose. Hope he can find a place a Arkea and re-establish himself on the French circuit whilst he's in his prime

Basically every WT team was interested in him and also Hagens Berman. It is reported that he declined an offer from Sunweb to ride a season at the Devo team and then go to the WT team in 2021. I am not a fan of going to WT directly from the juniors, but there is not much you can do about it, as this was the riders choice (maybe unlike to Rodriguez and Sky).

Tiberi joining in 2021 and Simmons already next year. Not too bad for Trek.

TRENDING THREADS