• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tyler Hamilton coaching pro triathletes

You know, I used to think cycling forums were full of retreads...but man, after reading a few pages of that forum I'm in shock. These guys are serious losers. Just dorks...it was hard to read.

Hairy Wheels said:
You know, I used to think cycling forums were full of retreads...but man, after reading a few pages of that forum I'm in shock. These guys are serious losers. Just dorks...it was hard to read.

Now you see why cyclists love to hate on "tri-geeks." We're all just thankfull that there's at least one social group that's dorkier than we are. :D

But seriously, judging by the responses from the majority of the folks on that forum, the ideal of clean sport is clearly a pipe dream.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
"I believe tyler is not guilty of cheating.

We all have our reasons for what we believe. I believe him."

Mattyreed......... :rolleyes:

yeah... that reflects what I've read in many posts sort of 'I believe him because he's a nice guy and of course nice guy don't cheat'. I think this is one reason that many Americans still believe that Flandis and Hamilton are innocent and were somehow shafted, because they come across as nice guys in the press and are nice to talk to in person.

It is much easier to believe that some Spanish/Italian/insert any other non-English speaking European rider is guilty because their personality does not come across in translated articles and there's not chance to ride with them and have a sense of knowing them.

this_is_edie said:
yeah... that reflects what I've read in many posts sort of 'I believe him because he's a nice guy and of course nice guy don't cheat'. I think this is one reason that many Americans still believe that Flandis and Hamilton are innocent and were somehow shafted, because they come across as nice guys in the press and are nice to talk to in person.

It is much easier to believe that some Spanish/Italian/insert any other non-English speaking European rider is guilty because their personality does not come across in translated articles and there's not chance to ride with them and have a sense of knowing them.

Matt Reed is a New Zealand born Ex Australian triathlete racing for the USA now. Interesting.
Some of the New Zealand pro triathletes had some interesting things to say about him back in 1998.

A

Anonymous

What's the big deal? The guy apparently has known Tyler for years so now he's taking him on as a coach for the cycling aspect of his sport. It's not like Tyler doesn't know about cycling. Sure he doped and the guy is biased since they are friends but why harp on the tri guys?

Hell, if I knew Pantani and he wanted to help me with my climbing on the bike I'd jump all over it despite his alleged "past". Of course that'll never happen cuz I don't know Pantani and it's hard to get to know someone that's 6 feet under ground. But you get my point. ;)

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Gee333 said:
What's the big deal? The guy apparently has known Tyler for years so now he's taking him on as a coach for the cycling aspect of his sport. It's not like Tyler doesn't know about cycling. Sure he doped and the guy is biased since they are friends but why harp on the tri guys?

Hell, if I knew Pantani and he wanted to help me with my climbing on the bike I'd jump all over it despite his alleged "past". Of course that'll never happen cuz I don't know Pantani and it's hard to get to know someone that's 6 feet under ground. But you get my point. ;)

Elite athletes are some of the worst coaches. Often, the journeymen are the best coaches.

You ever see "Golf My Way," by Jack Nicklaus. His instruction verbatim, as he's swinging the driver, is "take it back like this, and hit it like this," as he launches it like 280 with one of those old POS drivers.

Like Michael Jordan, terrible with the young talent. He nearly ruined Rip Hamilton because he didn't like him.

Asking Pantani to help you climb would be just about as helpful as asking Secretariat how to run faster.

A

Anonymous

That's true of some but not of all coaches that were once elite athletes themselves. But I see your point. Ted Williams wasn't exactly the best hitting coach either. But Dave Righetti is looking like a pretty damn good pitching coach.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Of course I understand the shock, given Hamilton's use of PED's. But I don't go so far as to assume that an athlete should not rely upon Hamilton's advice to prepare himself for competition. There is so much that a man with his experience can offer, why not listen to him? I would if I was a pro and I thought that he was the best person to help me improve. I know that many will think that taking advice on training from someone who took PED's is just like visiting the clinic of a doctor who has done blood transfusions for cyclists. To me, this is different. There is much more to being an elite cyclist than the advantages to performance/recovery that PED's give.

pedaling squares said:
Of course I understand the shock, given Hamilton's use of PED's. But I don't go so far as to assume that an athlete should not rely upon Hamilton's advice to prepare himself for competition. There is so much that a man with his experience can offer, why not listen to him? I would if I was a pro and I thought that he was the best person to help me improve. I know that many will think that taking advice on training from someone who took PED's is just like visiting the clinic of a doctor who has done blood transfusions for cyclists. To me, this is different. There is much more to being an elite cyclist than the advantages to performance/recovery that PED's give.

Part of the issue is that his ban from cycling for 8 years includes any coaching of cyclists, either amateur or pro. That includes any cyclist that races for USA Cycling no matter their category, any cyclist under the UCI or WADA, IOC, USADA, etc.

Therefore I would have thought this ban extends to USA Triathlon as well since USAT is governed by USADA and WADA just like USA Cycling is.

Regardless, Hamilton is clearly being a bit shady and getting around the intent of the ruling against him if not the letter.

But as we know Hamilton made a career on being a shady liar so it's not surprising. By all accounts he's a very good liar as everyone who's met him says he's a very nice guy.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:

+1

Given that he really doesn't have any other experience outside of pro-cycling, this is an excellent way to make a living. Regardless of doping, this is something he could be good at; he has knowledge and skills not many possess. Not to mention he has learned some lessons the hard way.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hairy Wheels said:

I am speachless. Read this excerpt for yourself:

DrDubs

Apr 7, 10 20:42

Post #8 of 196 (6905 views)
Copy Shortcut
Re: Matt Reed has lost his mind. [krider] [In reply to] Can't Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good for Matt!

Tyler is a super cool guy and knows his ****. Matt is smart to take him on as a coach.

Oldman said:
I am speachless. Read this excerpt for yourself:

DrDubs

Apr 7, 10 20:42

Post #8 of 196 (6905 views)
Copy Shortcut
Re: Matt Reed has lost his mind. [krider] [In reply to] Can't Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good for Matt!

Tyler is a super cool guy and knows his ****. Matt is smart to take him on as a coach.

My human side doesn't have a huge issue with Tyler making a living - heaven knows the guy must not have a pot to p*** in. My issue is what i posted on the first page here from Matt Reed - him saying he believed Tyler is innocent. Lost for words.

Digger said:
My human side doesn't have a huge issue with Tyler making a living - heaven knows the guy must not have a pot to p*** in. My issue is what i posted on the first page here from Matt Reed - him saying he believed Tyler is innocent. Lost for words.

Yeah I read that whole thread on Slowtwitch and my only conclusion is that the triathlon community is a bunch of idiots who deserve everything they are going to get out of this. If they are really so blind and stupid that they can't see the dangers of letting ex-dopers into the support structure of their sport then they are going to end up just like cycling. The reason it is so hard to change cycling is because cycling is institutionalized with people who've been around doping forever, from DS's to soigneurs, to sponsors, to riders.

If the tri community can't see what's coming to them if they head down this road then F them I say. Fortunately for them their sport is so **** boring to watch that it will never attract the amount of sponsorship cash that cycling has and therefore will probably not develop as serious of a doping problem on a relative basis.

BikeCentric said:
Yeah I read that whole thread on Slowtwitch and my only conclusion is that the triathlon community is a bunch of idiots who deserve everything they are going to get out of this. If they are really so blind and stupid that they can't see the dangers of letting ex-dopers into the support structure of their sport then they are going to end up just like cycling. The reason it is so hard to change cycling is because cycling is institutionalized with people who've been around doping forever, from DS's to soigneurs, to sponsors, to riders.

If the tri community can't see what's coming to them if they head down this road then F them I say. Fortunately for them their sport is so **** boring to watch that it will never attract the amount of sponsorship cash that cycling has and therefore will probably not develop as serious of a doping problem on a relative basis.

Actually that thread was not that bad as far as slowtwitch goes. That community really buys into bad apples story. The funny thing is that if I had to make a bet about 35 - 45 year old dopers, I would bet there is a greater percentage of age group triathletes on testosterone than road cyclists.

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Statement from Matt Reed- Tyler is NOT coaching Matt Reed

Matty Reed used the wrong word in a twitter.

Tyler Hamilton is not coaching Matty and Team Reed did not hire him.

Tyler is a boulder friend and offered some good workouts, wattage advice and rides in town along with some motor pacing to Matty. They are friends and Matty twittered what he did cause Tyler had done a workout with him and Matty used the word "coached by" meaning Tyler had "coached" a great workout that they did that day. Tyler copied Matty twitter then and used that same word. Tyler offered some advice to Matty as a friend.

Matty facebooked (and Kelly copied) he was working with Tyler and he meant he was working with Tyler for some workout ideas. We did not hire him. After Matty's twitter, these posts were really taken for the wrong meaning. Matt realizes he used the wrong words for the twitter.

Matt and Kelly felt that Tyler might have some good ideas, and him having ridden the roads of boulder, it was worth sitting down with him and hearing his thoughts as he has ridden with Matty in boulder many times.

Hope this clears up any confusion. There is no professional association or relationship or hiring. This was simply a good friend with some great knowledge and Matty and his coach wished to hear Tyler's thoughts. He had some interesting ideas so Matty did a workout with him.

Matty's coach is Kelly Reed. Kelly simply wanted to sponge ideas off of cycling minds and this was one of the MANY minds we talked to.

Team Reed has hired NO ONE TO COACH Matty's cycling and are not professionally associated with any one coach or group. we are gathering a bunch of workouts from a variety of sources to help Matty race triathlon.

We hope this clears up any confusion as to Matty and Tyler and that their relationship is no more than two friends who used to ride bikes together and one wanting to offer some workout advice.

Team Reed is against doping in all forms. Matty is a true competitor and cheating in any form is not an option. Matty has, throughout my career, been a promoter of clean and honest racing. Team Reed remains strong in our belief system of clean sport. It is simply the only way to race as far as we are concerned.

Sincerely, Team REED

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
That is my statement. i needed to address this right away as it was blown out of proportion BIG time on that forum. i used the word coach wrong. straight up. i have learned to be way more careful in my word choice and how they words can be read.

My wife, who is my coach, and I both wrote it so we worded in third person so to keep in clear to understand.

hope this helps clear all of this up.
cheers, BIG MATTY REED

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
tyler hamilton tweeted >

SIX hours of motor pacing today for three of THT's clients 2:25 AM Apr 9th via HootSuite

and you replied something vaguely along the lines of '4 hrs for me and one for each other client'

I see you have deleted this tweet, so you contradict yourself as you identify yourself as a paying client by the very nature of your now conveniently deleted tweet.

TRENDING THREADS