• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tyler Hamilton

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
dim

Depression is a real issue. I believe Tyler has it but what induced it?

By the way dim space if you need a bike(I have an old fixed gear Pogliaghi) and a friend to talk to on a ride I am here for you.

I got fried for this in another forum when Hamilton's latest interview was brought up for discussion. I was even accused of posting on this forum as "The Hog", even though my username is the same on both forums.

So let me say this as diplomatically as I can, saying first that I did enjoy watching him race and loved his grit and determination.

When you mess with your endocrine system, bombarding your body with the massive amounts of PED's that Hamilton ingested (check out his doping calendar during the time he won L-B-L and the Tour of Romandy) then it's not a stretch to think that depression would be a major consequence of such abuse.

Depression isn't just about feeling blue. It's about brain chemistry, and I can't think of a more profound way to alter that chemistry than with PED's.

Definitive studies have not been done, and they probably will never be done on this. The evidence we have about the ill effects of steroids is anecdotal from a scientific perspective.

But I find it difficult to believe how some people can separate Hamilton's illness from his PED abuse, and come to the conclusion that one had nothing to do with the other.

He may be a nice guy, the nicest guy that's ever ridden a bicycle. It doesn't make it right that he has lied about his PED abuse and then dons the halo of depression sufferer to garner sympathy votes from the very people he's lied to all these years.

He doesn't get to hijack this illness, thereby ridiculing people who genuinely suffer from it through no fault of their own. Armstrong did the same thing and has held the whole cancer community hostage for the sake of enriching himself and making a mockery of the sport we all love.

Doping in cycling is beyond my grasp. But as some point a line has to be drawn. Hamilton has crossed it with this crap.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
I got fried for this in another forum when Hamilton's latest interview was brought up for discussion. I was even accused of posting on this forum as "The Hog", even though my username is the same on both forums.

So let me say this as diplomatically as I can, saying first that I did enjoy watching him race and loved his grit and determination.

When you mess with your endocrine system, bombarding your body with the massive amounts of PED's that Hamilton ingested (check out his doping calendar during the time he won L-B-L and the Tour of Romandy) then it's not a stretch to think that depression would be a major consequence of such abuse.

Depression isn't just about feeling blue. It's about brain chemistry, and I can't think of a more profound way to alter that chemistry than with PED's.

Definitive studies have not been done, and they probably will never be done on this. The evidence we have about the ill effects of steroids is anecdotal from a scientific perspective.

But I find it difficult to believe how some people can separate Hamilton's illness from his PED abuse, and come to the conclusion that one had nothing to do with the other.

He may be a nice guy, the nicest guy that's ever ridden a bicycle. It doesn't make it right that he has lied about his PED abuse and then dons the halo of depression sufferer to garner sympathy votes from the very people he's lied to all these years.

He doesn't get to hijack this illness, thereby ridiculing people who genuinely suffer from it through no fault of their own. Armstrong did the same thing and has held the whole cancer community hostage for the sake of enriching himself and making a mockery of the sport we all love.

Doping in cycling is beyond my grasp. But as some point a line has to be drawn. Hamilton has crossed it with this crap.

Good post.

Berzin said:

You mean I'm famous?

Good post by the way.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I totally agree once you mess with your system with external substances you alter chemistry. Could be the reason for "TylersDepression"

Just look at our last president George Walker Bush. I think that he found external stymuli to bring him out of his alcohol and cocaine depression.

Denial is the partner of depression.

Tyler notes Kevin Livingstone as the man helping him get out of "depression" - drug comedown. Mr. Livingstone knows a lot. He knows so much that after a bout of depression of his own found himself on Lance's doorstep with cap in hand. Lance paid up.

Kevin now runs a reasonably successful cycle training business in the basement of Lance's Mellow Johnny's bike shop. All these boys come back to Daddy when they come off the gear. They got no where to go. Just like drug addicted prostitutes to their pimps.

Kevin is assisting the Tyler training school. Thanks Lance.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I have not heard that Horse$hit works in this manner, however if works for you then by all means keep using it.

TBF to Guilder, I strongly suspect there are a lot of drugs that effect Neurochemistry far more deeply than the commonly used PEDs. EG. the recreational drug MDMA and the whole class of pharmaceutical drugs known as SSRIs both function by directly affecting the brain's serotonin system.

I'm no pharmacologist but whilst I certainly wouldn't argue that PEDs can have a negative effect on brain chemistry, there are a lot of drugs out there, taken for a variety of reasons, that effect brain chemistry more profoundly than PEDs.

If I have misunderstood Guilder's point, please ignore the above as irrelevant.

I am not trying to make light of mental health issues, regardless of their cause nor to deny they fact the PEDs could very well be one of those causes. I wish Tyler and all other people with such issues all the best in their treatment and recovery.

Other than this pedantic point, I agree that Berzin made a good post.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I just looked at the link. no **** is dude going to teach us were to put the needle for optimum consumption ? never waste a taste they say

Berzin said:
I got fried for this in another forum when Hamilton's latest interview was brought up for discussion...
Well, your candor is very welcome here as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It is a great unknown, but several times I have posted on here a rather long list of riders who have died post-cycling career, some of them directly from PED use, others from suicide even.

I think beyond pharmacology, being heavily caught up in the doping game, especially if you are prone to depression or have early onset in the first place, is a recipe for disaster on a psychological level. The cycle of doping simply in order to compete, to have a chance to win, and having to play that game and carry that burden cannot be easy for anyone. Lest one be a sociopath or delusional.

You know, I've known a few pros who suffered from depression or bipolar disorder. I think sometimes people with a predisposition to certain mood issues follow certain paths, like professional sports. And we all know that logging zillions of miles (and overtraining) can result in depression.

Where am I going with this? I don't really doubt that Hamilton may have had pre-existing mood issues ... I have no reason to. Add to that the obvious drop in world beating abilities that comes with no more doping (or grossly reduced doping), it'd be hard to believe he did not to hit rock bottom when he returned and never got close to his old form. Then add to that the fact that he at least perceives that others are doping and not getting caught.

I guess I just have a level of empathy for the guy. Not so much sympathy, or that I think he is innocent. Just empathy for a shitty situation and a bit of a tough ride. Funny, with all that's been said and done, I still think his ride on Stage 16 of the 2003 Tour was awesome to see.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
does any one know why Luis Ocana committed suicide?

He retired to his vineyard in 1977. It is said that despite their rivalry on the road , Merckx organised for a Belgian distributor to order a sizeable quantity of wine from Ocaña's ailing vineyard.

Ocaña committed suicide, in Nogaro, Gers, France by gunshot in 1994. It is said he was depressed over financial matters and was also suffering a hepatitis C infection.

Luis Ocaña - Wikipedia.com

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Kingsley A said:
TBF to Guilder, I strongly suspect there are a lot of drugs that effect Neurochemistry far more deeply than the commonly used PEDs. EG. the recreational drug MDMA and the whole class of pharmaceutical drugs known as SSRIs both function by directly affecting the brain's serotonin system.

If we were to go by popular opinion, the peloton would be cram packed with psychotics if PEDs had a definitive effect on brain chemistry.

If we consider the often irrational pressures teens put themselves through in everyday life and compare that to the pressure elite juniors deal with 24/7 in competition, PEDs or recreational drugs could appear to be the answer to reduce pressure. Having a psych evalution is still frowned upon especially for the guys, so it could be years before it's obviously a problem. Then of course it's blamed on the drugs causing the mental issue and not vice versa.

Don't know much about Tyler's history but I suspect he put way too much pressure on himself to succeed way too early for his maturity level.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
- I wonder if he does a seminar on how to make sure you get the right blood bag? Looks like he's made a full recovery from depression.

http://www.tylerhamiltontraining.com/

http://www.ppolnews.com/?id=85378&keys=bicycling-cycling-tours-travel

Viva Travels, a bicycle tour operator in Colorado, and the The Fredcast, the internet’s premier cycling podcast, are excited to announce that retired cycling professional Tyler Hamilton will join them on a luxury tour to the Alpes next August. There will be room for 22 guests to ride, dine and socialize with Tyler and the Viva Travels team over some of the most beautiful and challenging cycling in France.

For a cycling enthusiast, this could be a dream come true to spend an entire week in France with such a talented cyclist and Olympic gold medal winner.

Tyler Hamilton is probably best known for his win of a stage of the Tour de France in 2003 which he did with a broken collar bone. “Tyler has a mental strength that few others have,” says Jennifer Sage, Viva Travels founder. “But the best thing about Tyler Hamilton is his down-to-earth nature. He is interested in everyone he is talking to, and everyone on this tour will have ample opportunities to interact with him.”
Tyler would still be under a 2 year suspension.

TRENDING THREADS