• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tyler's Book

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
o.htm

600full-cillian-murphy.jpg

How about CILLIAN MURPHY - right age and Irish actor for Tylers heritage.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Long time lurker here. I only got into cycling a couple of years ago and often find reading these threads I get a little lost with all the characters, plot lines, science etc that goes into doping. I read Tyler's book across this weekend (couldn't put it down) and bam! I'm educated. Wow just wow.

I bought it on Amazon (Im in Australia) have I read an edited version? Id hate to think I missed anything!

I wont even go into all the colourful new words I found for Lance as I plowed through it. Luckily I was home alone.

I spent a an hour yesterday watching a couple of stages of the '06 TdF on Youtube (I had never seen Landis' flight to Morzine).

Jalabert was commenting on a moto for the french TV, I found him very nervous, almost agressive, that year in both stages I watched.

Now I think I know why.

From Tyler's book we can guess that Jalabert was working with Fuentes in 2001-2002, thanks to Mr 64%, so I'm pretty sure that in July 2006, Jalabert was worried by was going to be found in Fuentes files, as they found links to Hamilton who had stopped working with Fuentes 2 years before they could probably get Jaja's footprints as well.

Just my 2 cents, I really don't like that guy linked to Saiz and Riis, commenting on TV and coaching the french team for the Worlds.

^
Gregga,

i don't remember getting that at all from watching it IRL on a television screen at the time... i do, however, remember it being an extremely hot day and feeling bad for anyone on a moto (a friend's son was working on one)... as for Jalabert's seeming nervousness and aggressiveness, that's just his style. commentating from a moto is no easy task!

i'm sure a lot of us are going back and connecting-the-dots and/or doing a bit of Monday morning quarterbacking after reading Tyler's book.

in this case, however, you may have gone a bridge too far ;)

Gregga said:
I spent a an hour yesterday watching a couple of stages of the '06 TdF on Youtube (I had never seen Landis' flight to Morzine).

Jalabert was commenting on a moto for the french TV, I found him very nervous, almost agressive, that year in both stages I watched.

Now I think I know why.

From Tyler's book we can guess that Jalabert was working with Fuentes in 2001-2002, thanks to Mr 64%, so I'm pretty sure that in July 2006, Jalabert was worried by was going to be found in Fuentes files, as they found links to Hamilton who had stopped working with Fuentes 2 years before they could probably get Jaja's footprints as well.

Just my 2 cents, I really don't like that guy linked to Saiz and Riis, commenting on TV and coaching the french team for the Worlds.

I like Jalabert as a commentator and I liked him as a rider. I also have no doubt that he was on the full program with ONCE and CSC.

What I don't like about him is that when it comes to doping he goes immediately into full omerta mode. His attitude, along with his confrères, is one reason that doping has thrived all these years.

And you might be right that he was more than a bit nervous in 2006, he seems to be the kind of guy that would have a dog.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I haven`t got my copy of Tyler`s book yet.

So I`m reading "We might as well win" by Johan B in the meantime, just to have the lies fresh when it arrives. ;)

An Johan delivers.

He`s portraying himself as a know-all mastermind analyzist of cycling, that foresaw Lance`s potential and one who was able to control the TdF into the smalles detail because of his "gift".
It must have been fun to lie as much, but still awkward to write that book.

Now it must just be embarrasing, lol :rolleyes:

I'm on Chapter 12 and its going very well. Great insight into epo, and blood transfusion use amongst everything else. Lance was a complete a-hole as we all know.

I'm interested to now read Michael Barry's "Inside the Postal Bus: and see what view it will probably give ? It may be quite hypocritical I"m sensing:rolleyes:

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
masking_agent said:

I'm interested to now read Michael Barry's "Inside the Postal Bus: and see what view it will probably give ? It may be quite hypocritical I"m sensing:rolleyes:

It might be better described as 'Outside the Postal Bus'.

For which Barry is probably eternally grateful. The book presents a picture of an A team and a B team with Barry firmly in the latter.

Lance hardly gets a mention.

Jack (6 ch) said:
masking_agent said:
I'm on Chapter 12 and its going very well. Great insight into epo, and blood transfusion use amongst everything else. Lance was a complete a-hole as we all know.

It might be better described as 'Outside the Postal Bus'.

For which Barry is probably eternally grateful. The book presents a picture of an A team and a B team with Barry firmly in the latter.

Lance hardly gets a mention.

And there is only a fleeting mention of the topic of doping, all related to an unjustified public focus on it.

Dave.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
thoughts

perhaps tyler had to say to rihs, pinho (lelangue) about what hand lance had in uci that they could possibly search for some leverage in uci too. otherwise all that millions was waste of money. uci understood with that roster phonak could become a real power which they (uci) don't need so the team was sooted off for 3 years...

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Just finished The Secret Race......I feel drained. All the talk & conjucture about doping in cycling bandied about is one thing, but to read Hamilton's account of the dirty details, the lies, and subtafuge professional cyclist resort to is boggling!

I never liked Armstrong, but I never considered myself a hater.......I am now!

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Microchip said:
Just finished. Excellent book. No people bashing, just a revealing explanation of their life as elite competitors. Can't see anyone justifiably finding fault with this publication.

it is an amazing book, but it was a little biased.
at the end Tyler looked like a hero, and everyone else looked like complete a**h*les, lance, riis, carmichael, landis, vandevelde, hincapie, even lance's ex wife ...

great book though.

TylerDurden1 said:
at the end Tyler looked like a hero, and everyone else looked like complete a**h*les, lance, riis, carmichael, landis, vandevelde, hincapie, even lance's ex wife ...

great book though.

It didn't read that way to me. However, to each his own, no criticism there. Some things come down to the person's own perception.

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
There might have been some natural bias with the guys that wouldn't acknowledge tyler in the later years. Besides the obvious (Lance) it seemed like he did not care for Hincapie's reaction once Hamilton was out of the sport.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I mostly got from the book, which is a great read btw, the following :

1) in the 90s it seemed like more pros doped than didn't.
2) there was hardly an emphasis to hide it towards the end.
3) you got made to realise that without the 'red egg' and 'white envelope' that even your (natural) best wasn't even average at best.

I also tend to think (or believe, if I'm being naeve) that compared to those dark days, the peleton seems so much cleaner, not clean, just cleaner.

I defn recommend spending the $30 on it - well written, no holds barred.

TylerDurden1 said:
i didn't get that at all. i agree with Berzin and Microchip here:
Berzin said:
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Microchip said:
It didn't read that way to me. However, to each his own, no criticism there. Some things come down to the person's own perception.

there is a subtlety in the book which is pointed out in this excellent review: http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/09/book-review-the-secret-race-by-tyler-hamilton-and-daniel-coyle/

The second absence is of stories that might have put some perspective on the position Hamilton found himself in. As Hamilton tells it, he had no choice but to dope. I accept that it was difficult not to dope, that the system positively encouraged it. But it wasn’t impossible. Nor was it impossible to turn your back on doping. There are riders who took those paths. Frankie Andreu and Jonathan Vaughters are just two who did and were close to the story told in The Secret Race. Perhaps Coyle should have said more about them, even if only in his footnotes. But perhaps in doing that he would have only highlighted even more Hamilton’s sense of entitlement, made us realise that the only real differences between Hamilton and Armstrong were that the Texan was far more efficient at controlling his environment and much, much better at not falling off and breaking bones at inopportune moments.

Tyler does not come out as a hero, imo, and therein lies its believability.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I read it down in Cornwall last week on hols and it pretty much was what I expected from the preamble/comments on here.
It didnt focus enough on what needed to be done or how complicit the UCI are/were for me, it also drifts in and out of what he thought was possible on or off the juice; I suppose its progressive but I did find it revealing he still thinks its damn near impossible to win a 3 week Tour without some artificial help...........

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
he still thinks its damn near impossible to win a 3 week Tour without some artificial help...........
I've not finished the book yet, but at one point he said that a clean rider could beat a doped rider in a one week tour, but not in a three week tour. He was referring (I think) to cycling at the time, which would have been in the late 90s

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
TylerDurden1 said:
at the end Tyler looked like a hero, and everyone else looked like complete a**h*les, lance, riis, carmichael, landis, vandevelde, hincapie, even lance's ex wife ...great book though.

I would have to disagree with your assessment. He certainly didn't come across as a hero to me. He does a good job of explaining what caused him to dope and what eventually led him to come clean. However, I still came away feeling that if he hadn't been busted in 2004 and had been able to continue his career until he was ready to retire, he would still be a member of the omerta.