• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tyson Gay tests positive

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
spalco said:
If I were an athlete of Gay's calibre, regardless of whether I'm clean or not, I would certainly have all supplements tested and only buy from reputable mainstream brands. This "tainted supplement" excuse is bull**** easily 99 out of 100 times, and when it's not it's still the athlete's fault for being a moron.

I can't believe they are trying to run with the tainted supplement excuse.

This is 2013 post Armstrong and post BALCO that excuse is at least 10 years old.

Explanation 1 : The Jamaicans were all taking a supplement and it was tainted with something that would make them positive.

Explanation 2 : They had misinformation that the stimulant wouldn't trigger a positive or that it had a different glow time to that they expected.

I remember when Blake tested positive he did so along with four other Jamaican athletes - for a structural analogue of a stimulant that was on the banned list (as if a chemist had altered the structure to evade the test). If they are associated in any way the fact it has happened twice seriously diminishes their credibility.

Who were the agency that caught these Jamaicans? Gay tested positive with USADA so he's f**ked.

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
There must be a whole industry dedicated to finding banned substances in supplements so when they're caught dopers can claim they were only eating health foods.

meat puppet said:
didn't he just power on at the front from the get go?

anyway, I hear that he is about to skip the champs. knee injury is stated as the official reason.

Ye but the drafting effect in running is tiny so that doesn't make much difference. If you know you are the strongest its the correct way to run the race.

meat puppet said:
didn't he just power on at the front from the get go?

anyway, I hear that he is about to skip the champs. knee injury is stated as the official reason.

Rudisha has not had someone alongside him when fit except for pacemakers.
I was more surprised that at the Olympics, the other contenders were so close.
By lack of pacemakers at the Olympics, he had to do it alone, and run a clever race.

If anyone was to ever break the Kipketer world record, why not Rudisha? Tall, lean, but not skinny. Stellar form, lots of courage to suffer. He is superior to all prior 800m runners in the same ways Bolt is as a sprinter.
Rudisha is impressive, but breaking the WR an inch at a time, after 800m. Bolt took off meters, over 100m. Rudisha is much less suspect, and the WR he took was much longer overdue.
And personally, being tall myself, I believe that being tall and well proportioned offers an edge over short and well proportioned. House cat vs. Cheetah. Who wins over any sprint distance? Size matters.
Bolt has that high thing too, name 1 taller sprinter. Plus, his form cannot be faulted. Him beating the rest of the world on a level paying field is a no-brainer. With the playing field becoming more visible, Bolt is becoming more and more of a Lance. Except, Bolt's junior talent was much greater.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
By lack of pacemakers at the Olympics, he had to do it alone, and run a clever race.

If anyone was to ever break the Kipketer world record, why not Rudisha? Tall, lean, but not skinny. Stellar form, lots of courage to suffer. He is superior to all prior 800m runners in the same ways Bolt is as a sprinter.
Rudisha is impressive, but breaking the WR an inch at a time, after 800m. Bolt took off meters, over 100m. Rudisha is much less suspect, and the WR he took was much longer overdue.
And personally, being tall myself, I believe that being tall and well proportioned offers an edge over short and well proportioned. House cat vs. Cheetah. Who wins over any sprint distance? Size matters.
Bolt has that high thing too, name 1 taller sprinter. Plus, his form cannot be faulted. Him beating the rest of the world on a level paying field is a no-brainer. With the playing field becoming more visible, Bolt is becoming more and more of a Lance. Except, Bolt's junior talent was much greater.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Bolt is a freak of nature and he would probably hold the world record now if doping had never existed. That said, if we accept that Greene doped, then he is 0.26 seconds faster than the second fastest ever sprinter who has not tested positive which is a lifetime over 100m.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Bailey? No way, never ever. No matter if he came from another sport or not. He came out of nowhere to beat the best dopers in his time (Michael Johnson, who shattered the wind aided 200-m-WR in 1996 inclusive!) at an relative high age. Even the best athletes ever who change the sport late don´t make it in another one (see Michael Jordan big time failure in baseball for example).
Bailey was bulked up as the others (that evil came since Ben did it), i guess HGH, roids or more likely both of it... Sorry. :(

And Ben Johnson. Grrr... :mad:
What a farce. A chemical monster with yellow eyes. God this guy made me mad all the time he destroyed proven sprinters like Lewis and Smith or Glance from 1985 on. He came out of nowhere, was beaten badly before 1985....
He reminds me of the horse in "The Electric Horseman".
Caught twice (or triple?). A true pain in the ...

In the 90s +, maybe Kim Collins is/was clean. Long career. No absurd times. No crazy performance jumps. A relative normal look.
He might be the one (and only)..

The 2003 world championship was bizarre with Collins winning in 10.07, a time which normally wouldn't even make the final. Chambers and Montgomery were both beaten but were doped to the gills, possibly the strangest race ever run. Collins performances this year look suspicious though, he's set a new pb at the age of 37.

Bernie's eyesore said:
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Bolt is a freak of nature and he would probably hold the world record now if doping had never existed. That said, if we accept that Greene doped, then he is 0.26 seconds faster than the second fastest ever sprinter who has not tested positive which is a lifetime over 100m.
It probably gets much worse if you tally up how many had bad luck, and how many failed the IQ test of glowing at a race.

The big question for me is: how much does (undetected) dope help? This may be vastly differ from year to year.
0.3s over 100m? If we've never seen a clean sub-9.9 that may well be the case.

I'd love to be presented a sprinter I would need to accept as more gifted than Bolt. Dope alone doesn't make him that much faster than proven dopers.
That said, his really fast runs were not many. He either peaks like no-one or only gets to pay off the testers at WC and OG level.
Bolt does seem to be well-informed. He often skips races due to "injury". Recently IAAF caught his fellow countrywoman at a local meet. Next week, Bolt was out running more than well.

Just want to echo, that if indeed Gay was caught by USADA, he can already make holiday plans for the next 2 years. Ask Chambers how those sabbaticals treated him.

spalco said:
If I were an athlete of Gay's calibre, regardless of whether I'm clean or not, I would certainly have all supplements tested and only buy from reputable mainstream brands. This "tainted supplement" excuse is bull**** easily 99 out of 100 times, and when it's not it's still the athlete's fault for being a moron.

Yep. These guys are not going into the local GNC and asknig the 18 yo behind the counter for advice.

Zam_Olyas said:
Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 2h
Italian police found more than 50 different medicines in room of Asafa Powell and of other members of Jamaica team training at Lignano

See, i keep saying we don't like doping. Hurrah for us. :p
Just let me guess. Bolt decided not to be present.

50 different meds though...that sounds more like an elaborate setup than an epic bust.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 2h
Italian police found more than 50 different medicines in room of Asafa Powell and of other members of Jamaica team training at Lignano

See, i keep saying we don't like doping. Hurrah for us. :p

Go Italy!

50 different meds? Some of them in industrial sized quantities?

silverrocket said:
Not a bad choice, but my pick for best clean sprinter of all time is Donovan Bailey. He peaked during a period when Canadian athletes were at their cleanest, since Ben Johnson was still fresh on everyone's mind and scrutiny was still very high. Bailey was also one of the few (only?) sprinters who was already wealthy and successful in another career BEFORE he was an elite sprinter.

Best sprinter of all time is also a Canadian, but as dirty as they come: Ben Johnson. His 9.79, back in the 80s, while celebrating with his hand in the air long before the finish line, might be the greatest sprint of all time.

Frank Fredericks would be my choice, though Bailey and Smith both could well have been clean too.

Cloxxki said:

But thats the thing: he may rely on the drugs to tote his big body around the track. Same thing with Bolt. Clean, those guys have the same build, but not the power to drive that body around.

More Strides than Rides said:
But thats the thing: he may rely on the drugs to tote his big body around the track. Same thing with Bolt. Clean, those guys have the same build, but not the power to drive that body around.

The thing with bodies: they offer power per kg. So being bigger doesn't cost, it netts. It's just harder to find a taller runner that has ideal proportions, and doesn't develope too bad back issues or the like. And, ball sports are better at getting athletic talent to sign up.

Cloxxki said:
Just let me guess. Bolt decided not to be present.

50 different meds though...that sounds more like an elaborate setup than an epic bust.

Wouldnt have thought they would leave anything lying around in case of this? Probably find the medicines are legit ones or supplements (legal ones)

the sceptic said:
What are they saying?

Moaning about unregulated supplements, apologists saying something needs to be done so this doesn't happen to young athletes. Basically attempting to remove as much blame as possible from the people who have been caught and, by association, athletics.

Even those who said Gay and Powell were ultimately to blame wanted to blame mistakes with supplements and make out like it's not really the athletes fault.

It was ridiculous, if it were a cyclist they'd be calling up comparisons to Vino.

Someone even had the cheek to say WADA should proactively test supplements and give out an approved list. Then complained about stating related compounds in the banned substance list. They didn't have a clue.

Here's an idea, don't take anything when you don't know what the fudge is in it!

TRENDING THREADS