• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great win by Gaviria today, shame about the three team members that had to leave the race because of the virus scare.

EeGofTCXkAAaXLr

Last edited:
I know I'm just a judgemental voyeur, but I'd really like to know who it was they had contact to and whether they broke the rules or were not careful or whether it was entirely not their fault...

They did not break any rules and it was not their fault. They were in contact with someone who after negative tests, returned a positive. No on knew at the time the person was positive.

What is reassuring is that immediately it was made known and action was taken correctly by the riders and the team.

At anytime anyone including you and me can be around someone who tested positive. Is that your fault? No.

They did not break any rules and it was not their fault. They were in contact with someone who after negative tests, returned a positive. No on knew at the time the person was positive.

What is reassuring is that immediately it was made known and action was taken correctly by the riders and the team.

At anytime anyone including you and me can be around someone who tested positive. Is that your fault? No.

I did not mean to place blame on them, I was really just curious. :) After all Sunweb sent somebody home because he went shopping on his own.

Good for them. Too bad Major League Baseball can’t be as smart about about handling virus cases. Their lack of a sufficient plan is a disaster, even if they do manage to keep playing☹️

Reactions: SHAD0W93
If they have as big a budget as has been suggested, they might bring in more stars. What they really need is to bring in better support for whoever they have leading. You can’t send a sprinter and a GC man to the Tour and have the sprinter surf wheels and the GC man take a stage after being invited to follow his old team’s wheels. At least one of them has to get serious support.
Some retrospectively great posts on page 1 of this thread, but this one in particular is a doozy.

It does look like the improved management made a massive difference to the squad.

Does the addition of Hirschi make Kristoff the biggest favourite for De Ronde? The past two years he was third, and if he can have Hirschi and Trentin to ride defensively for him in the finale, it will be quite difficult to keep a gap for anyone.

And I think the only time he has lost a sprint after a long, hard race was to Sagan in Bergen. Otherwise, he always, always, always wins sprints for minor placings in the classics.

Does the addition of Hirschi make Kristoff the biggest favourite for De Ronde? The past two years he was third, and if he can have Hirschi and Trentin to ride defensively for him in the finale, it will be quite difficult to keep a gap for anyone.
With Van Aert and Van der Poel at the start list. No way! Those guys are either way the two biggest favorites and have out outmaneuver each other like they did in GW if somebody else is going to win. RVV is also a race where it's more difficult for tactictal victories than most other one-day classics.

And I think the only time he has lost a sprint after a long, hard race was to Sagan in Bergen. Otherwise, he always, always, always wins sprints for minor placings in the classics.
Well, he's certainly up there among the favorites, but not because of Hirschi and Trentin. Hirschi is still unknown quantity in the cobbled classics and Trentin doesn't actually have that great of a track record in Flanders - or cobbled classics in general; In Flanders, his best result is a 13th place in 7 participations, and in 42 cobbled classics, he has 10 top 10's.

If Kristoff wins it's likely because of him being a great cobbled rider more so than it's because of his team. I would certainly rank Van der Poel, Van Aert and Alaphilippe above Kristoff.

If Kristoff wins it's likely because of him being a great cobbled rider more so than it's because of his team. I would certainly rank Van der Poel, Van Aert and Alaphilippe above Kristoff.

Yes, I would too, for sure, but I'm assuming Hirschi will be more than capable of lasting through the whole race. He did top 10 E3 in 2019 after all, and he has become just a tad better than back then.

I just don't think we have ever seen a capable team with such a big incentive to close down the race. I certainly don't hope they will be successful in that endeavour, though, and I would much rather see Hirschi duke it out with the crossers.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes, I would too, for sure, but I'm assuming Hirschi will be more than capable of lasting through the whole race. He did top 10 E3 in 2019 after all, and he has become just a tad better than back then.

I just don't think we have ever seen a capable team with such a big incentive to close down the race. I certainly don't hope they will be successful in that endeavour, though, and I would much rather see Hirschi duke it out with the crossers.
Yeah, for sure you're right that we're probably safe to assume that Hirschi will be good in cobbled classics as well. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and if UAE actually works together as a team in the scenario you outline. It could be the case, but they could also just ride their own chances with Kristoff as a backup - assuming Hirschi and Trentin gets up the road ahead of Kristoff that is.

Yeah, for sure you're right that we're probably safe to assume that Hirschi will be good in cobbled classics as well. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and if UAE actually works together as a team in the scenario you outline. It could be the case, but they could also just ride their own chances with Kristoff as a backup - assuming Hirschi and Trentin gets up the road ahead of Kristoff that is.

Yes, they could, but I read in an interview with Peiper that he actually wanted to go for Kristoff because the past two years the only thing that had been missing was a few teammates that could drill it in the group behind.

Okay, last year would have been very difficult to reel in the crossers, but in 2019, he would have won for sure.

Hirschi isn't mentioned in that scenario, though.

I'm not the first to say this, but the way he rides, it won't be the last knee problems he'll have in his career. My brother in law is a McKenzie therapist and physio, he had basically predicted it when he first saw Ardila ride. Well, he wasn't surprised when i told him he 'd already had knee issues in the past.
Does he use a too big gear? Or is it something else?

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS