• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Do they have single win this season that wasn't Pogacar?
Almeida makes sense because apart from super domestique for Pogacar he'll be their clear cut GC nr2 and could also target the GT that Pogacar won't participate in.
Ackermann not so much. His lead out at Bora wasn't great but I doubt it'll be better at UAE and he'll sure as hell not be high on their priorities for the Tour. On the other hand what great alternatives did he really have, I don't think his stock is high right now amongst teams to build around him so might as well just cash in and take the money.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I guess he'll get to ride at least one of the Giro or the Vuelta as the team leader, since nobody else who is on the team besides Pogacar has ridden that well in the gts over the last 2 years. Having Dombrowski and Ulissi with you in the mountains is already an upgrade compared to the support that he got at DQ.
Anyone knows what's gonna happen with Gaviria, will he stay? I doubt that they are happy with his performance.
I think Gaviria is def not staying, heard they are indeed not so happy with his performance and he is not so happy within the team anymore

The cyclingnews link does not work:(

Not sure Ackermann would be a good addition for the team. Maybe focussing on lesser big classics?

Almeida could be a good helper for Pogacar but that would mean putting his own ambitions aside, because UAE is already full of people wanting chances when Pogacar is not riding.

the following riders are end of contract:
Kristoff: def leaving
Costa: extending I think
Marcato: leaving?
Gaviria: leaving
Richeze: leaving
Formolo: extending?
De La Cruz
Polanc: leaving I think
Dombrowski
Valerio Conti
Bystrom: probably leaving
Riabushenko
Youssef Mirza: probably extending as he is from UAE
Alessandro Covi
Rui Oliveira
Ivo Oliveira
Christian Munoz

Leaving:

Conti
Riabushenko
Bystrom
Kristoff
De La Cruz
Richeze and marcato retired

Almeida makes sense because apart from super domestique for Pogacar he'll be their clear cut GC nr2 and could also target the GT that Pogacar won't participate in.
Ackermann not so much. His lead out at Bora wasn't great but I doubt it'll be better at UAE and he'll sure as hell not be high on their priorities for the Tour. On the other hand what great alternatives did he really have, I don't think his stock is high right now amongst teams to build around him so might as well just cash in and take the money.
McNulty? Ok he does not have the GC result to show as Almeida but I think both are quite at the same level.

Plus you have Ayuso and Fisher-Black coming in. They are very young, but yeah these days that does not say much.

Why wouldn't he go to Tour? He could be protected rider at the start and there is always possibility Pogacar will have some problems (crash, ilness...). I see it as good transfer for him. Nice paycheck, team keeps upgrading roster and they have one of the biggest budget. He will for sure have decent support in GTs where he will be leader.
He will go to the tour for sure, but not as a protect rider, a helper for Tadej. Point. And if anything happens to Tadej, they will see. But he def will not be protected in any race Pogacar is in to. pogacar is the leader.

Dombrowski won a giro stage, Ulissi has been winning….

McNulty? Ok he does not have the GC result to show as Almeida but I think both are quite at the same level.
I think as GC riders they are not close.
Almeida is very consistent in both GTs and one week stage races: top10 in every stage race he's ridden since turning pro (apart from TDU last year). He has shown great recovery, being arguably the strongest rider in this year's Giro third week.
McNulty has only two top10 in minor stage races since joining UAE. His recovery seems very questionable: he faded badly in the only third week he rode for GT and lost Itzulia in the final hard stage.

Their career trajectories might be at different points and I can't rule out McNulty improving his recovery to become a much better stage racer, but at this point I view him mainly as a one day racer and domestique for GT.

Agree on Ayuso though.

Pog is Pog.

But Almeida will have plenty of opportunities here also. Maybe Giro next year for him? Or will he be a part of the supporting cast in the Tour in his first year at UAE?

We will see I guess, either way he will have opportunities in a bunch of other races I assume.
Going to the Giro next year as leader and supporting Pog at the Tour would be good. Just rest on the flat stages to be there in the mountains. Good signing by UAE.

Pog is Pog.

But Almeida will have plenty of opportunities here also. Maybe Giro next year for him? Or will he be a part of the supporting cast in the Tour in his first year at UAE?

We will see I guess, either way he will have opportunities in a bunch of other races I assume.

Ya, unless Pog is going to do the Giro (or the double), I'd imagine Almeida gets the Giro and then support at the Tour. Might be a shared leadership role at the Giro if they bring Ackermann to that aswell

Are there even that many examples of it being tried? In particular, by a team with a current Tour winner and a top 10 Giro contender.

Sky had problems with Porte, Thomas and Landa producing at the Giro, but almost always due to crashes, never actual form.
It's essentially the same as a Giro/Tour in that you have to lead the Giro and then you hope for the best in the Tour. I've only seen Landa do a big domestique job after finishing a Giro he started for GC and he didn't end up doing GC. Maybe if you rotate your domestiques, but it's much simpler to get a fresh domestique and keep Almeida for La Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS