• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

MnR

Oct 4, 2019
Visit site
I'd say Giro for Almeida, Tour for Pogacar, Vuelta for both of them, perhaps Pogacar as leader and Almeida being a protected rider.
And Ackerman?

João haver 23yo so 2 GT in the same year may be too much.

Probably João os going to Giro with a small block arround him (Costa Covi? Dombrowski?) with Ulissi with freedom to search is tipical wins and some work duty and Ackerman with Olivera and the someone else for the sprints.
Oliveira should also happily work for João in flat stages if needed.

Tour is Pogacar all the way.

Vuelta should be free to Pogacar if he wants, if he dosen't Ackermann like a 2nd options with stage hunting guy (too soon for Ayuso i think)

Reactions: Sandisfan
And Ackerman?

João haver 23yo so 2 GT in the same year may be too much.

Probably João os going to Giro with a small block arround him (Costa Covi? Dombrowski?) with Ulissi with freedom to search is tipical wins and some work duty and Ackerman with Olivera and the someone else for the sprints.
Oliveira should also happily work for João in flat stages if needed.

Tour is Pogacar all the way.

Vuelta should be free to Pogacar if he wants, if he dosen't Ackermann like a 2nd options with stage hunting guy (too soon for Ayuso i think)

Ackerman is a sprinter and somewhat a classics rider, hence I don't think him and Almeida/Pogacar are mutually exclusive in the same GT. Especially with Pogacar.

The 2 big important races for UAE as a sponsor are: UAE tour and tour de france.

They will want their best team at the start of the Tour and that includes Almeida. If he is not in bad form in the spring.

He will maybe be played as a shadow captain in the press, but there is no way he is going to be co-leader in GT’s together with Pogacar. Not in the tour, not in the vuelta. He is amazing, but cannot put next to Pogacar’s level (yet).

I would also think that Almeida himself might like a role in the tour rather than doing the giro once again.

Jumbo has 2 riders next year that are both candidates for the top spot/podium.

It is possible for Almeida to be played as the second threat from UAE and that could possibly get him a very high end result in his first tour.

but we will have to wait and see what UAE wants to do

Reactions: Nick2413
You’re right about their priorities of course, but it’s not like they’re going to skip getting a good Giro result if they have someone (Almeida) who has shown they can achieve it .

UAE doesn’t need to counter Jumbo’s possible strategy of having two guys staying up there in GC. UAE doesn’t need to do that—Pogacar can dominate alone, while it’s the challengers (Jumbo, Ineos) have to come up with an alternate strategy. Even if Almeida was leading the GC and attacked, the other big guns will stick with Pogacar like glue.

Almeida could do the Tour as a helper then headline Vuelta, or vice versa do Giro/Tour.

I think he can add alot to a Tour squad supporting Pogacar even if he takes a few stages off - for instance he could have been very useful on the double Ventoux stage, which suited his climbing style.

Ah so you work for the team? Are you Matxin??? :eek:

but we will see who was right when the schedules come out and Almeida has the tour on his programme:cool:#feelingconfident
I'm gonna tell you, one simple thing that is gonna help this conversation. Joao almeida said on saturday to a newspaper in Portugal, that next year he's gonna be a LEADER in uae emirates, so he will be a undisputed leader in some grand tour.

I'm gonna tell you, one simple thing that is gonna help this conversation. Joao almeida said on saturday to a newspaper in Portugal, that next year he's gonna be a LEADER in uae emirates, so he will be a undisputed leader in some grand tour.
He will be a leader in certain races yes, but also a helper in others for Tadej. That is how teams work.

The only undisputed leader in UAE is Pogi Boy. Point. (And Ayuso for the future)

And yes I am a Tadej fan, but do you guys really believe Almeida is at the same level? Tadej had podiumed 3 GT's of which he won 2, LBL and so many other races.

Next thing you are going to say Tadej should be a domistique for Almeida in one GT too... :oops:

And yes I am a Tadej fan, but do you guys really believe Almeida is at the same level? Tadej had podiumed 3 GT's of which he won 2, LBL and so many other races.

Next thing you are going to say Tadej should be a domistique for Almeida in one GT too... :oops:

I don't think anyone is putting Almeida at Pogacar's level, but your suggestion that he would have to wait for later years for a GT chance ("Almeida will most likely need to focuss on helping Tadej and will get GT chances in later years ") is what sparked the debate as many see a good chance for him to lead the team at the Giro. I'd also bet he'll he riding the Giro next year and he doesn't necessarily have to be Pogacar mk2 to have a good chance there.

He will be a leader in certain races yes, but also a helper in others for Tadej. That is how teams work.

The only undisputed leader in UAE is Pogi Boy. Point. (And Ayuso for the future)

He's going to be a leader in some grand tour, giro or Vuelta, obviously not tour de france because of pogacar.
He will be to well paid to just help pogacar in the tour and be a leader on some small races, and nobody is saying that Almeida is better than pogacar.

I don't think anyone is putting Almeida at Pogacar's level, but your suggestion that he would have to wait for later years for a GT chance ("Almeida will most likely need to focuss on helping Tadej and will get GT chances in later years ") is what sparked the debate as many see a good chance for him to lead the team at the Giro. I'd also bet he'll he riding the Giro next year and he doesn't necessarily have to be Pogacar mk2 to have a good chance there.

But I think there is likewise a very big chance that Almeida himself will prefer going to the Tour next year.

He has ridden the giro twice now and the Tour is a race every rider wants to ride/do good in. And being there with Pogacar does not necessarily mean he won't get to ride a good result there himself. Tadej could fall or become and ill and that could give him an opportunity like Vingegaard to show himself. And even when Tadej wins, his main goal would be to stay as long with Tadej as he can, which automatically will mean a good placing.

That he could combine with leaderships in other "smaller but hard" stage races (Dauphine, Romandie etc.).

If he would go for GC in the Giro I think he def won't be in the tour team.

And then I guess his role in the future will depend on that Giro result.

Bennet probably wanted to be with his compatriot Fisher-Black, and when UAE poached him from Jumbo Visma development team, he was left with no choice.

They have also signed two sprinters in Pascal Ackermann and Alvaro Hodeg, while continuing a youth recruitment drive that includes Bennett's compatriot Finn-Fisher Black, who himself was poached from Jumbo-Visma's development squad.
"It’s also nice to link up with Finn Fisher-Black, as we both come from the same hometown in New Zealand," Bennett said.

TRENDING THREADS