• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And now I won't get that song out of my head. But really; is there any team with a more confusing tactics?

I wonder for how long they had Ayuso as the plan B for la vuelta if Pog couldn't go.

Also one thing I see in interviews from both JAJA is that the team won't pressure them, no one demands they do good results, they have a long time ahead etc. I always thought that was just something they had to say. But nowadays I am almost starting to wonder if this might even be the truth. Maybe UAE actually has so much faith in their riders they sit back and let the riders decide for themselves?! Because why else would they all seemingly do whatever they feel like least they ride a race with Pog?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Roku
I don't think "every man for himself" is a good approach and obviously the team does not look like a well-managed structure, from transfer policy to roster selections and in-race strategy.

Pogacar was in need for another luxury domestique in TdF. It was obvious from the start of the year team support would be crucial against Jumbo, yet they left at home Almeida.

Here in La Vuelta they have Ayuso, Almeida and even Polanc going for themselves in search of Top5 / Top10 / Top15, while Soler goes on his own for stages. They only lack Bennett going for another Top10.

I don't think "every man for himself" is a good approach and obviously the team does not look like a well-managed structure, from transfer policy to roster selections and in-race strategy.

Pogacar was in need for another luxury domestique in TdF. It was obvious from the start of the year team support would be crucial against Jumbo, yet they left at home Almeida.

Here in La Vuelta they have Ayuso, Almeida and even Polanc going for themselves in search of Top5 / Top10 / Top15, while Soler goes on his own for stages. They only lack Bennett going for another Top10.
The problem starts with hiring as they didn't buy Almeida to ride for Pog. Because then Almeida wouldn't have signed with them. He's too ambitious.

You can't just take any good rider and turn them into a domestique. Majka and Kuss has a certain mindset which makes them brilliant as domestique. They thrive by riding for others. Kuss especially.

People forget that Almeida isn't that old. Doing two GT a season is a lot.

Almeida? Teammate? He is literally 30 seconds back at the beginning of each climb. Until he catches back, attacks would probably start and for the whole TdF, he'd pull 300 metres for Pogacar.

I'm thinking, they should make him start each stage 1 or 2 minutes behind, perhaps his engine will start workig for the important part of the stage.

Besides, his support for the mountains is/was good. He needs roulers and a proper road captain.

• Haha
Reactions: noob

Polanc has done some work for Ayuso and Almeida. I'd say he's really the only one that has done any kind of teamwork.

Soler really pisses me off. If he wants to go for the stage, that's fine, but if he's not going to win it, just wait for JAJA and help them properly. Carapaz is a great example of what Soler could be doing.

McNulty was also really useless, but I guess he shouldn't even be at the Vuelta with the miserable form he's in.

I wonder for how long they had Ayuso as the plan B for la vuelta if Pog couldn't go.
For about a month. He was never scheduled to go to the Vuelta, instead he was on the roster for Canada. Their stance was always a firm 'No.', which Gianetti changed to 'No, unless ....' during the Tour. His prep has been very whacky, but he did go on altitude in Livigno IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a complete one off due to his lack of logical prep, but it's been a success regardless. He should return next year, with proper preparation and a team fully behind him.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
For about a month. He was never scheduled to go to the Vuelta, instead he was on the roster for Canada. Their stance was always a firm 'No.', which Gianetti changed to 'No, unless ....' during the Tour. His prep has been very whacky, but he did go on altitude in Livigno IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a complete one off due to his lack of logical prep, but it's been a success regardless. He should return next year, with proper preparation and a team fully behind him.
Thanks. So he had a month to prepare then.

I really wonder how Gianetti and Matxin get along...

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Soler really pisses me off. If he wants to go for the stage, that's fine, but if he's not going to win it, just wait for JAJA and help them properly. Carapaz is a great example of what Soler could be doing.

I think that's a bit harsh. He had a pretty solid lead until 8 km to go with a chance of winning. By the time Arensman had passed him, he was probably completely empty. So I'm not sure if he would have been of great use for Almeida and Ayuso even if he had stopped immediately after that. The case of Carapaz is absolutely not comparable because he already knew that he would not win the stage 19 km from the finish line when he was distanced by the chase group.

I think that's a bit harsh. He had a pretty solid lead until 8 km to go with a chance of winning. By the time Arensman had passed him, he was probably completely empty. So I'm not sure if he would have been of great use for Almeida and Ayuso even if he had stopped immediately after that. The case of Carapaz is absolutely not comparable because he already knew that he would not win the stage 19 km from the finish line when he was distanced by the chase group.
Well Soler was pretty clear in interviews that they wouldn't sacrifice stage wins for GC.

Almeida was pretty clear he and Ayuso both were leaders doing their own race. Ayuso has been clear he's free to do whatever he wants in this race and he has previously said Almeida is their leader.

The team classification benefits from Polanc also high in GC so what can they do? Obviously they're consistent and honest about they're doing, but where's the interview pressuring the DS for answers instead of pressuring the guys? Maybe there has been one and I just missed that part though.

I'd love to see an in depth interview with UAE DS.

304984697_541146351143143_8756285653368791523_n.jpg

Reactions: SHAD0W93
In a daily Portuguese newspaper "OJogo" was stated in last Thursday edition that despite UAE races assignment for 2023 will only be turned public at the end of this month the decision for the GT leadership was already made with Pogacar doing only TDF, Ayuso being the Leader for La Vuelta and Almeida being once more UAE team Leader for "Il Giro".
Was also said by Matxin that because the interval between the end of Il Giro and the start of TDF isn't optimal, Pogacar won't race in Italy.
As for Adam Yates role at UAE only question marks at this point.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
After leaving for Wanty, Kristoff said that UAE bikes were great for climbing but not for sprinting and flat races.

If Pogačar's sprint is already this good with bikes that are bad for sprinting, I would be scared to think what he could do with better bikes.

As for the planning for next season, I agree with Almeida for the Giro, Pogačar for the Tour and Ayuso for the Vuelta with Yates likely a domestique for Pogi in the Tour but I wonder if Pogačar shouldn't try the Tour-Vuelta double. Not that I doubt Ayuso's abilities but I would like to see Pogačar doing two GTs in the same season at some point in his career and I think next year with the Worlds in Glasgow in August he could go directly from the Tour to the Vuelta because I can’t see him winning there and in 2024 with the Olympics and the Worlds in Zürich, I am sure Pogačar will just ride one GT (either Giro or Tour).

After leaving for Wanty, Kristoff said that UAE bikes were great for climbing but not for sprinting and flat races.

Col

Colnago have recently introduced new variants to the V3RS including a more aerodynamic stiffer version. Kristof may not have an opportunity to ride this.

If Pogačar's sprint is already this good with bikes that are bad for sprinting, I would be scared to think what he could do with better bikes.

As for the planning for next season, I agree with Almeida for the Giro, Pogačar for the Tour and Ayuso for the Vuelta with Yates likely a domestique for Pogi in the Tour but I wonder if Pogačar shouldn't try the Tour-Vuelta double. Not that I doubt Ayuso's abilities but I would like to see Pogačar doing two GTs in the same season at some point in his career and I think next year with the Worlds in Glasgow in August he could go directly from the Tour to the Vuelta because I can’t see him winning there and in 2024 with the Olympics and the Worlds in Zürich, I am sure Pogačar will just ride one GT (either Giro or Tour).

Let's remember Pogacar will only be 26 when 2025 season starts. Personally I think that's a great age for trying 2 GT's.

But agree with you - can't see him win in Glasgow next year. But Zurich should be great opportunity and a focus point for that season.