• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2022, February 20 - February 26

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: claude cat
Alpecin needed this one after a pretty bad start of the season.

Naa stop this sprinting police thing. 50% of sprint winners will get relegated like this. Doesn't do anything wrong at all.
Except almost Groenewegening Groenewegen. Coudln't be more obvious too that he started when he noticed Groenewegen coming from behind.

It's hilariuos how results oriented this is. Someone crashes and we're screaming bloody murder, but if people don't nearly get killed it's ridiculous cause then we can relegate 50% of sprints.

I don't mind relegating 50% of sprints cause we've encouraged dirty sprinting for too damn long.

Cavendish got lost, but he didnt have best lead-out here either. They dont have the best team here to compete. Vernon and Van Tricht looked like they struggled big time to stay at the front and were overpowered easily here. They probably need a little bit more time and experience.

I think he will be better off just following and trusting Morkov to get him in the right position and using one of the other sprint-trains instead, if he wants a chance to win a stage here.

Or they will continue with the younger guys trying to do the lead-out. It could be a good learning experience and Cav might still be feeling a bit iffy from the crash in Oman. Just get some more racing miles and a good result is bonus.

I am 50/50 about Philipsen and relegation.
The fact he did it to Groenewegen tipped the balance in his favour.
There wasn't a protest so all is relatively fine.

But if this was the Tour, I feel Groenewegen / BikeExchange would formally protest.
Making a protest or not, doing it to Groenewegen or to anyone else have nothing to do with the objective assesment of the situation. Philipsen clearly deviated his line and this move had probably an impact on the final result so there'd be every reason to relegate him. The other thing is the relegation policy is as we know very inconsistent and we've seen guys doing much worse things than Philipsen today and getting away with it.

Last edited:
Making a protest or not, doing it to Groenewegen or to anyone else have nothing to do with the objective assesment of the situation. ...

ofcourse not, if I wasn't clear: doing it to Groenewegen and approving this, is my very subjective judgement. I wouldn't want him (or anyone) to crash because of closing the door, though, and I wish Groenewegen loads of wins in clean sprints.

Reactions: limak_
Making a protest or not, doing it to Groenewegen or to anyone else have nothing to do with the objective assesment of the situation. Philipsen clearly deviated his line and this move had probably an impact on the final result so there'd be every reason to relegate him. The other thing is the relegation policy is as we know very unconsistent and we've seen guys doing much worse things than Philipsen today and getting away with it.

Yeah it is a shame that the jury doesn’t relegate Philipsen. After multiple relegation this year I thought we almost got to a level where putting your colleagues in danger meant a DSQ. Now a couple of weeks into the season we already have inconsistent decision making on our hands again.

Reactions: Eeslliw
Pogacar: "And then I told them: come to UAE, it's that not hot here"

FMC6Fr8WUAQOkTb

View: https://twitter.com/TeamEmiratesUAE/status/1495118599308169219?s=20&t=glaxyCSLbc1a-IqJYdeGKQ

Haha, that‘s Pogi as we know him… Being exactly the same he was before this winter:

Few hairs protrude through the helmet. The face is soft, with a slight grin. The tan is nearly non-existent, and the arms and legs look butter-soft.

Now I expect him to almost beat Ganna in the ITT and to beat the best climbers on the two MTFs. :)

Yes, hair and fat are where the should be. Oh boy, I'm already feeling for his rivals this year.