• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2024, February 19-25

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So do we think the UAE lineup are going to be let out of the country with all their limbs intact?

Also pretty funny that nobody decided it was a bad idea to give Van Eetvelt 6 free seconds on Friday. Decathlon may have the bikes now, but the brains still need some work.

Okay, how the hell were they supposed to know that this was exactly how it would play out?

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
UAE riders and staff now scheduled for meetings with this guy:
cj199.png

The problem is that you were second guessing me when I was right the whole time, and then responded as if I only knew because I saw the GC time on screen. And then keep pretending I don't have a clue.
Thats really not the case, since I was asking if they had the same time or if it was one second before knowing when they had stopped the clock.

Then asked "are you sure" in response to your post.

Then you did your usual thing and got grumpy.

Embarrassing race by UAE. Haven't done everything right after stage 1.
But nothing new - every time Andrej Hauptman is in the car they sucks tactical, he can only win with Pogacar.

Today:

Vine racing in echelons like there was no MTF coming up.
Bjerg sent to the front to pull and kill Vine right away.
After Vine dropped, they sent Bjerg up to attack and he gets dropped 1 min after.

embarrassing!

Quite the spectacular collapse by UAE there. Yes, their tactics weren't great, but they never are. They're only great when Pogi is in the race, because he wins in ways where tactics don't play a role. But that wasn't what lost them the race, which probably was a bad state dinner with the sultan yesterday.

Van Eetvelt was really impressive. The Belgian climbing project is incredibly successful, just a few years ago they had zero elite level climbers and now they have at least a dozen.

You can never know for sure, but the requisite work to pull back Van Eetvelt was almost 0, and the chances of this scenario, while not that high, were not.

But shouldn't it have been UAE's responsibility?

I think the probability of this scenario was close to 0 (that Vine and McNulty both crack and that Van Eetvelt rides everyone off his wheel and finishes exactly between 20 and 26 seconds in front of O'Connor).

I'm sure we would have ridiculed Decathlon for chasing the other day if they had chosen to do so.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
But shouldn't it have been UAE's responsibility?

I think the probability of this scenario was close to 0 (that Vine and McNulty both crack and that Van Eetvelt rides everyone off his wheel and finishes exactly between 20 and 26 seconds in front of O'Connor).

I'm sure we would have ridiculed Decathlon for chasing the other day if they had chosen to do so.
O'Connor was arguably favoured to overtake Vine today after Jebel Jais, but yes, UAE were just as stupid. UAE riding like brainless idiots is a given when Pogacar isn't involved, though.

Van Eetvelt was really impressive. The Belgian climbing project is incredibly successful, just a few years ago they had zero elite level climbers and now they have at least a dozen.
Evenepoel, Van Wilder, De Plus, Van Eetvelt, Uijtdebroeks... I don't consider Vansevenant, Lecerf (yet at least), Vanhoucke, Van Gils, Vervaeke, Cras etc elite level climbers. Who are you thinking of?

Reactions: Sandisfan