• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2024, February 19-25

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lotto climbers are also really happy with their new Orbea Orca btw. I don't like the bike cause I think it's ugly and a pure climbing bike, but compared to what they had at Ridley for the climbs it's a massive difference apparently.

About the aero they are a bit more undecided if it's actually better.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Footage emerging of LVE addressing the masses after reading some of the comments on stage 5.

sddefault.jpg

Wout van Aert ;)

Okay, it feels like a dozen. Apparently it's half a dozen. But as a Belgian you should be very happy.
But I agree that the program does work. Late Bjorg Lambrecht also came through the program. Even though he wasn't a true high mountain climber either.

Lotto climbers are also really happy with their new Orbea Orca btw. I don't like the bike cause I think it's ugly and a pure climbing bike, but compared to what they had at Ridley for the climbs it's a massive difference apparently.

About the aero they are a bit more undecided if it's actually better.
Riding for Ridley all those years was the best trainig they ever got. It's like training with a parachute.

What actually has happened to him the past 1-2 years? He was flying when he entered the pro peloton, but did not improve, and even got a bit worse, after that.
He was great in Amstel in '21 i think and C-level stageraces. never as a true climber.
Nothing happened, he simply defied logic and expectations for a few months. He was never a top level talent like Evenepoel, Van Wilder, Uijtdebroeks etc

Van Eetvelt > Van Wilder

Biggest win of his career!

UAE had a terrible day, Pogačar will probably have to return next year unless Ayuso steps up.
Fully deserved for Van Eetvelt, who is much more of an attacker than Van Wilder. That said, i know Van Wilder is aiming for Catalunya and Romandie to really see where he sits compared to the best. And i believe Van Eetvelt was really trying to be in great form for Mallorca. In short, i think Van Wilder still has more margin to improve the next weeks/months. But i do wish he would sometimes believe in his own chances and strength more.

Fully deserved for Van Eetvelt, who is much more of an attacker than Van Wilder. That said, i know Van Wilder is aiming for Catalunya and Romandie to really see where he sits compared to the best. And i believe Van Eetvelt was really trying to be in great form for Mallorca. In short, i think Van Wilder still has more margin to improve the next weeks/months. But i do wish he would sometimes believe in his own chances and strength more.

Van Eetvelt is technically also aiming for Catalunya ;)
But yeah he also wanted to do really good here (not Mallorca per se), and young guns like him often are a bit too eager in the winter so are in form earlier.

Portuguese ones as well. They were giving the overall victory for O'Connor.

And now with the overall graphics on screen, they don't see their error and are talking about Gran Camiño, ffs.
While the English language ones were awarding it to Van Eetvelt before the others finished, therefore not knowing what bonuses O'Connor might have got (2nd would have given him the win on countback)

Reactions: Sandisfan
I was wondering that too. If bonking from the echelons then that's just stupidity.
You should take a look at the Burgos stage in '20, when Evenepoel won on Picon Blanco. There were echelons before that, but everything came back together before the climb. A lot of climbers completely blew up on the climb and lost minutes. Kuss, Gaudu, Bilbao, Mas, Majka, Sosa completely blew up and lost somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

What a disaster for UAE. When it looked liked they had 1, 2, and 3 wrapped up after the ITT, it got turned on its head. Quite unexpected. And having lost Yates due to a crash as well.

But today's Hafeet climb was probably one of the most exiting ones, especially with GC guys so close together. I was sure O'Connor had enough of a buffer, but what a ride by the young Belgian, hats off. Is Van Eetvelt the new Remco now?

GHMW2v0WIAA-NKf

Last edited:
You should take a look at the Burgos stage in '20, when Evenepoel won on Picon Blanco. There were echelons before that, but everything came back together before the climb. A lot of climbers completely blew up on the climb and lost minutes. Kuss, Gaudu, Bilbao, Mas, Majka, Sosa completely blew up and lost somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

Two independent mentions of that stage on the same day in the same thread 3 and a half years later just shows that it was the most important stage in cycling in this millennium.

Just proves they were chumps then and chumps today.
Is Van Eetvelt the new Remco now?

GHMW2v0WIAA-NKf
Who's Remco? :D