• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI: Armstrong was paid in 2009

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Okay, lets think for a minute...If YOU made millions of dollars every year doing something (sport/job/habit/addiction?). Then you took a break for a few years, then decided to return to that same sport/job/habit/addiction.
You are now being paid $50k what you used to receive millions....

"ESSENTIALLY..." you would be working for free. Maybe in his mind, $50k is pretty much "free" when previously he made much more. I know that I would feel that way. My opinion was he was simply saying he's riding for peanuts compared to before.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
JeffreyPerry said:
"ESSENTIALLY..." you would be working for free. Maybe in his mind, $50k is pretty much "free" when previously he made much more. I know that I would feel that way. My opinion was he was simply saying he's riding for peanuts compared to before.

Sure ..... maybe he could use a similar line for the doping enquiry. “You know, my team weren’t using anywhere near the amount of drugs the Festina team did .... so essentially we were riding clean”

Riiiight.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Amazing, I'm glad they clarified this in 2009 and didn't wait until cornered into a negative position.

Oh wai...

Lance was "cornered"? What?
OMG, just wait until they uncover how much Lance donated in 2010.

C'mon, the clinic is becoming a joke. You guys are becoming a joke.
Please, just be patient. The SI article IS coming soon. It REALLY is.
Don't embarrass yourselves in the interim. Jeez guys....

Anyway, while we are waiting for the SI Bombshell (it WILL be a BombShell), how about we reminisce about last year?

Hey - Look how chubby Lance is at the TdU lol oink oink.....

Swordsman, please update us on Alberto's Traning Camp Status. Bang Bang.

fatlance.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Let me get this straight....

Some of you believe that Lance KNEW he would be forced to accept the UCI minimum wage ahead of time - but lied about it when he said "its on the house"? He was covering up?

Whatever. I think it is another example of Lance misunderstanding the letter of the law while understanding the spirit of the law.

Like when he said he "was just a rider" and not realizing he was a boardmember too. "What? I am a board member? What the heck does that mean?"

"What? I have to accept minimum wage? Whatever, just donate it'.

Yeah it was all just a misunderstanding. Kinda like George Bush. must be a Texas thang

Polish said:

Anyway, while we are waiting for the SI Bombshell (it WILL be a BombShell), how about we reminisce about last year?

fatlance.jpg

I assumed that you were replying to me because you quoted my post.

How wrong I was...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

fatlance.jpg

It is going to be pretty dissapointing for many here.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
goober said:
The source is me. The source at the time was conversation that I think included Lance - he was present - just don't recall if he was in the conversation.

Really? Than who are you? WHy would you have any credibility, when was this conversation, with whom, how did you come into contact and suddenly get more information than LA gave to anyone else during the period?

Barrus said:
Really? Than who are you? WHy would you have any credibility, when was this conversation, with whom, how did you come into contact and suddenly get more information than LA gave to anyone else during the period?

Well goober is wrong anyway, because it's been confirmed the money went to "his foundation", not "back to the team".

There goes his credibility ;)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
goober said:
It is going to be pretty dissapointing for many here.

Even if eventually nothing comes: anticipating what many of us think is coming is being worth the ride, i assure you.
try it, you'll love it.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Well goober is wrong anyway, because it's been confirmed the money went to "his foundation", not "back to the team".

There goes his credibility ;)

ssshhh I wanted to see with what kind of stupid explanation he came;)

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:

None of your business - if that means I have no credibility then so be it. Trust me many people knew the situation as you can't race without having a salary - well known to people who know the sport. I am sure $34K to Lance that he gave away is the same as working for free and I agree - you don't have to.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
goober said:
None of your business - if that means I have no credibility then so be it. Trust me many people knew the situation as you can't race without having a salary - well known to people who know the sport. I am sure $34K to Lance that he gave away is the same as working for free and I agree - you don't have to.

If you claim to be someone inside the cycling business it is the concern of the moderators. If you claim to be an insider you'll need to give your identity and some for of verification to at least one of the moderators, seeing as we have had a few cases of people claiming to be someone they were not

May 26, 2010
Visit site
goober said:

not for free, he received $34k(any evidence it wasn't more) for racing, full stop. what he does with it has no bearing on the fact that he received payment.

doesn't matter if he is the richest man in the world he received payment. therefore did not race for free as he said he would. therefore a lie. big difference between racing for the minimum wage and for free in the public's mind.

goober said:

Bo11ocks. It's made up after the event to try to dig himself out of a hole. Explain the following then:

Q: During the training camp and at other times, you're wearing the Livestrong kit but your teammates are in the Astana kit. Could you tell me about that arrangement?

L.A: Those guys are paid to race. I'm not paid to race. I'm racing as a volunteer for Livestrong. Legally, I can't wear Livestrong in the race or I would, but anytime outside of a race I am going to fulfill my commitment to my organization.

Again, it would different if it were Discover Channel (his former team) and you were getting a big, fat salary. You have to train in that kit. But the fact that I'm not taking a salary from Astana means that I can wear what ever I want to wear, I think?

In May of that year, five months into the season, Armstrong gave an interview to a small number of media sources including Cycling Weekly. At the time there was great uncertainty about the future of the Astana team as salaries had been unpaid. There was talk that Armstrong and general manager Johan Bruyneel could take over the team, aided by new sponsors.

Armstrong was asked if he would consider covering the wages, but he said that he was racing for free and therefore already putting something into the team. “I'm already investing myself. Not taking a salary is some sort of investment,” he said.

What do Astana give a fudge what he does with the money when he's received it? As far as they are concerned they were paying him. If I give my salary to Dr Maserati I can't then tell the whole world I'm not receiving a salary and am working as a volunteer. It's ridiculous.

Besides, if that was the explanation at the time then just say that! If anything, it would make him look even better and avoid situations like this!

My money's still on the Hog pilfering it though. ;):p

Roland Rat said:
Bo11ocks. It's made up after the event to try to dig himself out of a hole. Explain the following then:

It has gotten to the point where Armstrong and his homers cannot keep track of all the lies. It's like the middle ages when astronomers came up with ever more elaborate theories to explain the motion of the stars and planets while maintaining that the earth was the center of creation. Eventually they had to give up and bow to the simple solution that the earth and other planets must orbit the sun. I guess the only question is how many heretics will the chamois sniffers burn before they admit the truth.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Besides, if that was the explanation at the time then just say that! If anything, it would make him look even better and avoid situations like this!
+1
He could have done a Robin Hood all the way, saying he's forced to take the 33.000 but will spend it only on charity.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It has gotten to the point where Armstrong and his homers cannot keep track of all the lies. It's like the middle ages when astronomers came up with ever more elaborate theories to explain the motion of the stars and planets while maintaining that the earth was the center of creation. Eventually they had to give up and bow to the simple solution that the earth and other planets must orbit the sun. I guess the only question is how many heretics will the chamois sniffers burn before they admit the truth.

very well put indeed.

at a certain point, he'd gotten so confident in lying, it's amazing, if you look at his interviews, the tight face, the (acted?) coolness.
Once the cards are on the table, LA'll turn into an amazing case-study for psychologists in years to come.

Still, at least we now know why we had the Astana rider's wage protest during the Giro!;)

Out of interest, does anyone (other than Polish) have a link for the UCI minimum wage structure?
For some reason, I thought 33k was for a neo pro in a PT team and that a seasoned pro had to be paid more.

sniper said:
very well put indeed.

at a certain point, he'd gotten so confident in lying, it's amazing, if you look at his interviews, the tight face, the (acted?) coolness.
Once the cards are on the table, LA'll turn into an amazing case-study for psychologists in years to come.

I hadn't noticed it before, but...

67-05-01-KreuEl-A-01.jpg

_arquivo_hannibal_lecter-copy.jpg

:eek:

How long until....?

hanniballecter.jpg

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
goober frequently hinted at having an insider track and he called an ‘an old news’ many interesting public announcement about armstrong's investigation.

however, when challenged on facts or pointed to an inconsistency in his prophesies, he disappears and never provides supporting evidence. in my book, though more than zero, it speaks of little credibility.

however and very curiously, he frequently sparred with thai panda (the mods should easily recognise who that was) which - thai panda and its sock puppets that is - in other situations argued precisely goober’s points about lemond being a doper etc etc .... that is until panda and its other aliases) got hunted down.

go figure :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS