• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI corruption

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Yes the UCI has an Ethics Committee - its called the UCI Ethics Commission it was set up in 2004, however one could question the ethics of its members......

Lisa Voight was one of its first members - she is a former CEO of USA Cycling, in May 2002 she handed in her resignation as she was due to have twins.
Yet the USAC rehired her immediatley at $100,000 p/a as a 'Senior Advisor for Olympic and International Relations'. Eventually the new CEO of USAC attempted to renegotiate her new contract and she resigned in November 2002.

Her husband is Craig Griffin who at the time worked as a coach in Carmichael Training Systems.

Nice bit of diging there Dr Maserrati!;)

Thanks for the link to the UCI Ethics Committee. Following from there to the 2005 interviews with Sylvia Shenck..........how did she fare with her battle with Heini?

If she was removed from the UCI, and if Velocentric is looking for a lawyer to accompany him when he tries to get an audience with Pat, he try her first.......

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
richardp said:
Thanks for the link to the UCI Ethics Committee. Following from there to the 2005 interviews with Sylvia Shenck..........how did she fare with her battle with Heini?

If she was removed from the UCI, and if Velocentric is looking for a lawyer to accompany him when he tries to get an audience with Pat, he try her first.......

What did the UCI & Verbruggen do to counteract Schenk's claims?

They sued her for defamation of course:
"It's irritating that I have to use a lot of my energy in negative matters lately," Verbruggen continued. "Besides Pound, who loses his mind as soon as the press gets near, Schenk also spends her time accusing the UCI. Ironically, you can say that she cost the UCI more than Pat McQuaid, my designated successor, who gets paid for the work that he does for us. We have now hired a lawyer to go after Schenk as she went too far." Schenk's complaint argued that no member of the UCI Management Committee could at the same time be in a contractual situation with the UCI.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Isn't this an open admission that McQuaid was paid?

"It's irritating that I have to use a lot of my energy in negative matters lately," Verbruggen continued. "Besides Pound, who loses his mind as soon as the press gets near, Schenk also spends her time accusing the UCI. Ironically, you can say that she cost the UCI more than Pat McQuaid, my designated successor, who gets paid for the work that he does for us. We have now hired a lawyer to go after Schenk as she went too far." Schenk's complaint argued that no member of the UCI Management Committee could at the same time be in a contractual situation with the UCI.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Allegations against Verbruggen by an opponent to McQuaid during the 2005 election.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/singh-files-third-complaint-with-ioc
Now, the Malaysian aspirant for the position, Darshan Singh, has submitted yet another complaint on September 6, concerning the modification of the Asian voting delegates. These had been voted on January 3, but again changed by the UCI in May. "There was a manipulation by Mr. Verbruggen," Singh said. "A new list was sent, without reason, with nine names on it. We had to vote yes or no by mail - which is prohibited by the rules - without having the possibility of changing one single name. That's inadmissible. Asia represents 22 percent of the voting delegates for the president. This can turn around the vote; therefore it's treachery."

And regarding Verbruggen's lobbying for McQuaid:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/latest-cycling-news-for-august-17-2005

Dato' Seri G. Darshan Singh, Life President of the Malaysian National Cycling Federation and one of the three candidates running for the UCI presidency, has protested against the conduct of the International Cycling Union's electoral process. In a press release, Singh bemoaned the fact that current UCI president Hein Verbruggen sent a letter to the 42 voting delegates worldwide in support of Pat McQuaid, who stands the greatest chance of becoming the next UCI president when the Electoral Congress will cast its vote on September 23 in Madrid, Spain.

Singh called Verbruggen's letter, "biased, unethical, undemocratic and a breach in the conduct of a President. I have been in sports for 30 years and I have never seen something like this happening before. The President is always neutral, and does not show his favouritism. In this case, Mr. Verbruggen, the present President of UCI, has decided to write a letter to all voting delegates and UCI Federation Presidents (letter dated 8th July, 2005) to ask them to vote for Mr. Pat McQuaid. It is absolutely bizarre."

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Too funny; talk about two-faced! Was it not Verbruggen that told Floyd . . . this is Switzerland, not the USA, you can't sue us, when he tired to collect his money owed him from slush fund of money set-up by the UCI from the teams?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
sartain said:
Too funny; talk about two-faced! Was it not Verbruggen that told Floyd . . . this is Switzerland, not the USA, you can't sue us, when he tired to collect his money owed him from slush fund of money set-up by the UCI from the teams?

Haha, good spot!

Its a wonder the UCI only sent a "cease and desist" letter to Landis back in April instead of suing him for defamation?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Haha, good spot!

Its a wonder the UCI only sent a "cease and desist" letter to Landis back in April instead of suing him for defamation?

I suppose they could always sue a man who has nothing.

images

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Frederick Douglas ( a former slave) in 1857: “power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.”