• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI doubts Contador will ride 2011 Tour.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
maybe. but the biggest joke is AC, and his denyal, after having been fully undressed by the HUMO, the plasticizers, and the absence of Clen-contaminated meat throughout Spain.

+1 for the UCI if they insist on banning him.

Let's say you're hanging out with your friends and they decide to smoke some marijuana. Let's say you pass on the puffs because you've got an interview the very next day. Let's say you do well and the company decides to extend you and offer. Let's say you accept it and then proceed on to the protocolary urine tests. Let's sat the company withdraws the offer for obvious reasons.

Who's the joke here?

May 24, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
maybe. but the biggest joke is AC, and his denyal, after having been fully undressed by the HUMO, the plasticizers, and the absence of Clen-contaminated meat throughout Spain.

+1 for the UCI if they insist on banning him.

What plasticizers???? That test isn't official yet. I'd suggest that those that are citing that test, Stop drooling. When it's finally approved, then it's fine, but not until then. You want AC's hide? Fine, You'll probably get it soon.The "responsibility for anything, in the body" clause is the pivotal piece of the anti-doping agreement. But that test has NOTHING to do with this investigation. And should have nothing to do with the eventual outcome. The authorities are not basing their case on that test at all, only the fans are hanging on to that one, with a rigor mortis grip...You'll see.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
nowhereman said:
What plasticizers???? That test isn't official yet. I'd suggest that those that are citing that test, Stop drooling. When it's finally approved, then it's fine, but not until then. You want AC's hide? Fine, You'll probably get it soon.The "responsibility for anything, in the body" clause is the pivotal piece of the anti-doping agreement. But that test has NOTHING to do with this investigation. And should have nothing to do with the eventual outcome. The authorities are not basing their case on that test at all, only the fans are hanging on to that one, with a rigor mortis grip...You'll see.

Ever heard of the "sum of the data"?
I didn't speak of the plasticizers in isolation. AC's been completely exposed by a chain of events and revelations, which, whether you like it or not, all fall into place perfectly, and come down to one thing: the guy has been blooddoping himself in the 2010 Tour, and, if we add the OP rumors, has probably done so ever since he entered professional cycling, and for all I know, before that.

I'm sorry for AC, I like the bloke, but after such a public undressing, the steak-tale is rather poor.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Ever heard of the "sum of the data"?
I didn't speak of the plasticizers in isolation. AC's been completely exposed by a chain of events and revelations, which, whether you like it or not, all fall into place perfectly, and come down to one thing: the guy has been blooddoping himself in the 2010 Tour, and, if we add the OP rumors, has probably done so ever since he entered professional cycling, and for all I know, before that.

I'm sorry for AC, I like the bloke, but after such a public undressing, the steak-tale is rather poor.

the steak tale was rather under cooked;)

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
God, I thought people had given the Humo thing a rest. And at least glanced at the data showing twenty million tons of beef are imported from South America to Spain - that's 4 BILLION pounds brought in from a place where Clenbuterol is legal. I also did the math once on the number of Spanish cattle actually tested for Clenbuterol - it was one in nineteen hundred something. And that doesn't take into account people finding ways to get around the testing.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/con...ossible-says-spanish-agricultural-association

Again, if you're somehow connected with the Astana team, and have proof of the biggest cycling story of the year, do you take it to Cycling News? The New York Times? The BBC? Wall Street Journal? All of the above? No, you end up at a Belgian humor magazine no one in the world ever heard of, with a website called" Humo The Wild Site", because that would be the easiest available and most credible?

Current front page story titles at Humo.be:

On The Sofa by Caroline Gennez

Adele: The 5 famous voices that changed her life

In the service of the dictator: the personal shopper of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il :eek::eek::eek:

Humos play superhero games

Well yeah, if they can get the personal shopper of Kim Jong Il and write a serious feature about that, then an anonymous person with some unknown connection to a cycling team can break the story of the year - I'm confounded that WADA, the UCI and other top journalists haven't tried to track down the source. And since others have been running Contador stories for months, why no follow-up article?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
God, I thought people had given the Humo thing a rest. And at least glanced at the data showing twenty million tons of beef are imported from South America to Spain - that's 4 BILLION pounds brought in from a place where Clenbuterol is legal. I also did the math once on the number of Spanish cattle actually tested for Clenbuterol - it was one in nineteen hundred something. And that doesn't take into account people finding ways to get around the testing.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/con...ossible-says-spanish-agricultural-association

Again, if you're somehow connected with the Astana team, and have proof of the biggest cycling story of the year, do you take it to Cycling News? The New York Times? The BBC? Wall Street Journal? All of the above? No, you end up at a Belgian humor magazine no one in the world ever heard of, with a website called" Humo The Wild Site", because that would be the easiest available and most credible?

Current front page story titles at Humo.be:

Well yeah, if they can get the personal shopper of Kim Jong Il and write a serious feature about that, then an anonymous person with some unknown connection to a cycling team can break the story of the year - I'm confounded that WADA, the UCI and other top journalists haven't tried to track down the source. And since others have been running Contador stories for months, why no follow-up article?

Ok, so you're winning the TdF, you know you'Re being tested twice a day, you need to have some decent food cuz you need to be strong next day, you're in France, a country known for its kitchen (including decent meat restaurants on every corner of the street), and then you're as unlucky as AC was to have a friend bring you over a piece of meat from Basque Country, that happens to contain CLEN.
What are the odds?

And here's a bonus question for those who don't believe in the plasticizer positive:
Why did AC, in his first public appearence after the positive, stress that the meat was vacuumpacked?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the swordsman, i consider you a quality poster and find many of your posts very informative...but let's get the spain’s beef story straight.
-------
btw, the cn article you referenced was referring to 2 million tonnes of beef imports to spain, not 20 million. (even the 2 million is grossly inaccurate and no surprise at all that cn did not cross check the story it reprinted)
--------
http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/130410/spain___looking_at_the_beef_industry_.aspx

-spain produces 575,000 tonnes of beef annually
-there are 3 million cows in spain (2 million beef cows)
-between Jan and Sept 2009 imports into spain equalled 78,000 tonnes
-'The Netherlands was the largest supplier, with 24% of the market, with Ireland securing 9% market share.
Brazil and Argentina each secured 4% and 3% respectively. Uruguay was the main South American supplier, with 12% market share.'

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

Bend it like Beckham

python said:
btw, the cn article you referenced was referring to 2 million tonnes of beef imports to spain, not 20 million. (

anyway, I agree with Python: your posts are formidable, but your stance in the AC case is slightly naive.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Why did AC, in his first public appearence after the positive, stress that the meat was vacuumpacked?

That explains why Contador was tested positive for Plastics, the day before he was tested positive for the famous weight losing drug.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
biopass said:
That explains why Contador was tested positive for Plastics, the day before he was tested positive for the famous weight losing drug.

I'm not sure here. The timeline you provide may or may not be correct and may or may not fit in with either the transfusionhypothesis or with the steaktale. I'm in the dark there.

But be that as it may, AC stressing the "vacuum-packed" meat suggests that there was a positive plasticizer test, and that AC knew about it, and that he wanted to cover himself in advance.

nowhereman said:
What plasticizers????

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Just thinking out loud about all this and the AC/PM angle.

Given the grief AC suffered while LA rode for Astana, especially during the Tour, the Twitter criticisms made by LA and then the pre-Tour revelations from Landis about bribes to the UCI, why on earth did AC trust PM & the UCI to "hendle" the positive test on his behalf? This strikes me as plain foolhardy. He must have been aware of the allegation that LA & the UCI were "close" hence could not be trusted to protect his interests at all.

This time the UCI has Peder Pederson hint of what may be forthcoming:
Peder Pedersen, a member of both the UCI's executive and Anti-Doping committees, told a Danish television programme that he expects Contador to be ruled out of competition in light of the evidence against the Spanish rider.

"The information we hold right now suggests that he has committed an offence that triggers a sentence of two years, so I do not think he will race the Tour de France this summer," said Pedersen on TV2 Fyn.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-likely-to-face-ban-says-uci-board-member

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
wait, UCI sends Zorzoli to Spain,comes up with the steak defense and recommends an expert

just because Contador's story may turn out to be unlikely doesn't mean that UCI threw him under the bus under orders from Armstrong
Sorry, was your post in response to mine about AC trusting McQuaid & UCI? If so that was not what I meant. I was just surprised that AC felt that he was in good hands.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
If I was in a situation where the person/organisation offering to help was closely linked to a person that had been as problematic as LA was to AC, I'd be loath to place my fait in them, especially as they are linked in an underhand manner. It would leave me open to all sorts of accusations.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything to suggest he even felt that way? From what I understand Contador has hired the best legal team money can buy you, suggesting he certainly doesn't expect the UCI will let him get off easy (which the UCI doesn't get to decide of course).

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
I'm not sure here. The timeline you provide may or may not be correct and may or may not fit in with either the transfusionhypothesis or with the steaktale. I'm in the dark there.

But be that as it may, AC stressing the "vacuum-packed" meat suggests that there was a positive plasticizer test, and that AC knew about it, and that he wanted to cover himself in advance.

Ever heard of the Chewbacca defense?

"Does this make sense? No, it doesnt. Therefore He´s innocent." :rolleyes:

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Guilty

UCI for AC...guilty until proven guilty. Is it the new joke to send a case to the Spanish national federation for a ruling while all the while implying that if he is found innocent the UCI will appeal. Pat wants another winner. Maybe someone who will contribute another $100K to the UCI and forget about it????

ultimobici said:
Just thinking out loud about all this and the AC/PM angle.

Given the grief AC suffered while LA rode for Astana, especially during the Tour, the Twitter criticisms made by LA and then the pre-Tour revelations from Landis about bribes to the UCI, why on earth did AC trust PM & the UCI to "hendle" the positive test on his behalf? This strikes me as plain foolhardy. He must have been aware of the allegation that LA & the UCI were "close" hence could not be trusted to protect his interests at all.

+1
the main problem here is what any other option AC has available to confront the biased position adopted by UCI/MacQuaid? the sport is sadly regulated by them & he must "adapt to what they see it fits(or perhaps what the best bidder offers) at this point is difficult to see him riding this year at all, given all the current opinions floating around-specially when the source of such information happens to be employed by the UCI....

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
avanti said:
I think it highly unethical for a UCI board member to discuss this publicly.

I dunno. If I was a UCI board member watching this ridiculously obvious and uncomplicated drug positive drag on for--what is it now, six months?--and threaten to continue to drag on for god knows how much longer, I might be tempted to nudge things along. If only out of frustration.

TRENDING THREADS