• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI: Italian Giro top favourite will be Bio-pass exposed in hours

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Exactly the opposite of my feelings.
Bye bye Franco. Hope to never see you again.

I agree entirely with the first sentence. I however, can bear seeing him again. Not surprised at all. Pellizotti was the obvious choice to me when this report came out. Him ahead of every other Italian rider. The other likely suspects have already been caught.

Dehydration? Come on Franco and Liquigas. Two samples, one in June the other in November. Yeah, Franco was dehydrated over a five month period. No wonder he is claiming he no longer believes in cycling. Be a bigger person Pellizotti and name people. Drag the sewer rats down with you.

Here is a question. The case against Pellizotti appears to rely on two or three samples. In a regular doping case the athlete has the right to have their B sample tested. In a passport case does the athlete have the right to have the suspect samples retested?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I would be reluctant at this point to base anything on the public statements of either side. Both may well, and probably do, know a lot more than they are saying, and of course, both will publicize whatever is to their advantage.

Susan

Susan, aren't their suppose to be some more names?

Also, on the BMC statement it said that santambrogio would be riding the giro. He is not listed on CN or steephill's start lists. What is up with that?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
The last Dutchies who did anything in big races except for Gesink, were T.Dekker (doped), E.Dekker (hematocrit level 50+ Verona 99) and Boogerd (most certainly doped).

Tend to think Gesink is clean, but you never know. If he is doped that would not come as a suprise either

Did you turn your head, block your ears and just ignore the fact Gesink bought a house in Spain and moved abroard during the off season? Honestly, what pro cyclist does not live near either Italy or Spain? Why would they? It is where all the doctors and clinics to help with their blood values are found. Gesink is like all the rest who aspire to be a top level pro and know how the game is played. He is no less likely to be clean than anyone else in the peloton. His prominence makes him a more likely target.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I would be reluctant at this point to base anything on the public statements of either side. Both may well, and probably do, know a lot more than they are saying, and of course, both will publicize whatever is to their advantage.

Susan

still the fact that only 3 of the members of the committee were in favour and the amnount of strange samples should be relatively easy to confirm, or even to disprove. I would think that if such an allegation is made against the committee, which was false the UCI would react, especially against the statement that only 3 members were in favour

Galic Ho said:
Did you turn your head, block your ears and just ignore the fact Gesink bought a house in Spain and moved abroard during the off season? Honestly, what pro cyclist does not live near either Italy or Spain? Why would they? It is where all the doctors and clinics to help with their blood values are found. Gesink is like all the rest who aspire to be a top level pro and know how the game is played. He is no less likely to be clean than anyone else in the peloton. His prominence makes him a more likely target.
... although, to be fair, in Gesink's case the excuse "need better weather + more possibilities to do uphill training" holds true on both accounts.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It would. Don't talk BS. He's not exactly first on the list of potential dopers.

WTF have you been smoking? Just the other day you were suggesting he was going to win the Vuelta ahead of Valverde. Have you not been reading the news threads about Valverde? FFS! Wake up to yourself. Gesink is not so naturally talented that he can compete against guys, that most in the Clinic, believe are uber doper riders. Gesink is on the list of potential dopers because he is force when on a bike.

What is your next fanboy trick? Denying that he rides for RaboHumanPlasmaBank for the colour of the jersey/bibs and moved to Spain for the weather? Correction...you made that claim above. My apologies.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
... although, to be fair, in Gesink's case the excuse "need better weather + more possibilities to do uphill training" holds true on both accounts.

True. But there are also bases closer to the Netherlands that work, well maybe with a little less sunshine. I'm not saying that he isn't clean, but he is not someone I'd stake a claim on. That's your job. You're the Gesink fan. But saying he can beat Valverde and then saying he is clean is one hell of a leap of faith. The type that fans make all the time. I think the number of anomalies tied together suggest something weird. Same thing I get from AS, Nibali and Kreuziger.

As for living in Spain. Menchov lives in Spain. But his wife is Spanish. Convenient excuse. Garmin are based in Spain. They are American. Convenient excuse. The 'clean' team in the peloton. Gesink. Why not Switzerland? Why Spain? The same reason Wigans moved there this last year. He wants to be better and in Spain he can get the help he needs.

Honestly you can walk into a chemist and buy epo off the shelves in Spain. Like UPS back in the day. LA himself said he lived and trained in France. All lies. He lived in Spain the majority of his pre-retirement when not in the US. It was all in LA Confidential. The team sent couriers across the border when in France racing to get supplies.

Why Spain over France? Drug accessibility. Maybe thats changed a bit after Puerto but is was last year I saw evidence and pictures of epo on chemist shelves. Also there is no AFLD who can turn up on your doorstep and slap an anonymous random doping test on you at the most inconvenient time. Spain reduces the risk of being tested. The weather and climbing are the secondary reasons for moving to Spain if you are a foreigner who happens to be a pro cyclist.

If you were wondering, I do excuse Spaniards from that same boat. They were born in the country. Why should they move?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
True. But there are also bases closer to the Netherlands that work, well maybe with a little less sunshine. I'm not saying that he isn't clean, but he is not someone I'd stake a claim on. That's your job. You're the Gesink fan. But saying he can beat Valverde and then saying he is clean is one hell of a leap of faith. The type that fans make all the time. I think the number of anomalies tied together suggest something weird. Same thing I get from AS, Nibali and Kreuziger.

Well, but that's just normal, genetically programmed human behaviour, isn't it?

By far the most common type of post on any cycling forum is "yes, X is probably on drugs, Y too, but not [insert favourite rider/rider from the same nationality]. I know everyone says that, but this case is different from everyone else's because [same excuse as everyone else]"

issoisso said:
Well, but that's just normal, genetically programmed human behaviour, isn't it?

By far the most common type of post on any cycling forum is "yes, X is probably on drugs, Y too, but not [insert favourite rider/rider from the same nationality]. I know everyone says that, but this case is different from everyone else's because [same excuse as everyone else]"
Please, don't psychoanalyse a reaction you've misunderstood. Same goes for Galic Ho (who can only argue in platitudes, it seems). I'm not saying Gesink is clean (I'm not even that big of a Gesink fan) but I'd be more surprised to find out he's a doper than, say, Thomas Dekker.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Please, don't psychoanalyse a reaction you've misunderstood. Same goes for Galic Ho (who can only argue in platitudes, it seems). I'm not saying Gesink is clean (I'm not even that big of a Gesink fan) but I'd be more surprised to find out he's a doper than, say, Thomas Dekker.

Sorry for defending you, then. I'll stay out of it next time ;)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
still the fact that only 3 of the members of the committee were in favour and the amnount of strange samples should be relatively easy to confirm, or even to disprove. I would think that if such an allegation is made against the committee, which was false the UCI would react, especially against the statement that only 3 members were in favour

barrus, if you need to check some facts do yourself a favour and check them.

hint: google wada athlete passport giuideline.

3 is all that's required. again, click around, will you ?

9 is the full membership of the uci expert panel to split the load. nothing to do with the cross examination expertise.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
python said:
barrus, if you need to check some facts do yourself a favour and check them.

hint: google wada athlete passport giuideline.

3 is all that's required. again, click around, will you ?

9 is the full membership of the uci expert panel to split the load. nothing to do with the cross examination expertise.

It's just that out of the press conference it appeared as though the rest of the committee was not in accordance with this, but that might be only my own interpretation.

Barrus said:
BTW did anyone already read Pelli's statement in his press conference, quite an interesting read,

In this conference Pellizotti also stated that he was informed just 2 days ago. "They told me just two days before the Giro and so there's no time for me to defend myself". See http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pellizotti-insists-he-is-clean.

Now that's very different from what McQuaid said - that the riders had 30 days to explain the values. What do you think of that?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
It's just that out of the press conference it appeared as though the rest of the committee was not in accordance with this, but that might be only my own interpretation.
you see, it's a typical situation when a trapped/suspected doper spreads half-truths and lies in order to misinform naive and gullible fans like you.

it worked.

what i suggested is verrry easy - check the facts for yourself and have an informed opinion instead of being a subject for manipulation.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
IF and its a big if, Liquigas were unaware of the situation, as they state, then I agree with them, entirely.
This eve of the Giro unveiling, 10 months after the fact, hits the entire team with maximum impact.
It's hard not to feel sorry for Vince Nibs, who now has to ride an unscheduled 3 week monster. They guy has been riding since February and was looking forward to a rest in California!

So California will lose it's big Liquigas name. I'm not sure that's what Pat had in mind, when he instigated his cunning plan.:eek:

Maybe it is. Maybe the UCI had a phone call from the Retirement Shack with LA saying they needed a reason to stop Nibali being a threat at the ToC, so Levi can bag his solitary win for the year. Then again, maybe not. Nibali hasn't been setting the racing scene on fire. He's been in the frame, but hasn't left an imprint or major mark on any race I've seen him at.

auscyclefan94 said:
Susan, aren't their suppose to be some more names?

Also, on the BMC statement it said that santambrogio would be riding the giro. He is not listed on CN or steephill's start lists. What is up with that?

The Gazzetta said there would be 5 or so cases. Not an official source. Of course, there may be, who knows.

Start lists change constantly. As soon as we put one up, it is outdated. Don't read anything into that.

Susan

TomasC said:
In this conference Pellizotti also stated that he was informed just 2 days ago. "They told me just two days before the Giro and so there's no time for me to defend myself". See http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pellizotti-insists-he-is-clean.

Now that's very different from what McQuaid said - that the riders had 30 days to explain the values. What do you think of that?

Possibly that the UCI told him 30 days ago that he had to explain the valuels, and two days ago told him they didn't buy his explanation?

Susan

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
being informed 'just two days ago' is another standard half-truth dopers employ that i referred to above.

once you start hearing this type of excuses, it become obvious where the guilt is and why they need to lie.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
python said:
you see, it's a typical situation when a trapped/suspected doper spreads half-truths and lies in order to misinform naive and gullible fans like you.

it worked.

what i suggested is verrry easy - check the facts for yourself and have an informed opinion instead of being a subject for manipulation.

I have been reading up on it a little, but my god what are there a lot of options for corruption and arbitrariness within this system

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Saying it's perfectly normal monkey behaviour is not exactly the kind of support I'm looking for. But thanks anyway :p

How do you get "normal monkey behaviour" from "normal human behaviour"?
Are you the missing link? :D

python said:

it worked.

Worked a treat for Landis, for example. The amount of fans who still think he only had exogenous testosterone in one of his samples, for example, is staggering.

TRENDING THREADS