• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Management Committee Meeting Friday - ACT NOW

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
martinvickers said:
BBC journos reporting that a concerted effort made by a number of nations members to oust Hein TODAY at UCI meeting. Apparently couldn't quite get the majority support, but the Independent Commission was offered as compromise - apparently a number of the members (including some who didn't agree to immediate ousting) have made their views VERY clear. "This is, has to be, and will be, a line on the sand" - Pat and Hein to have little say in the choices for the Commission. Kimmage and Lemond on standby...

Guys; keep the pressure up, i'm getting a feeling it's starting to actually work...

Yeah, I think maybe Pat and Hein got a surprise in their own backyard today. Unfortunately the only thing I can think of when I hear independent report is that silly Vrijmen report.

martinvickers said:
BBC journos reporting that a concerted effort made by a number of nations members to oust Hein TODAY at UCI meeting. Apparently couldn't quite get the majority support, but the Independent Commission was offered as compromise - apparently a number of the members (including some who didn't agree to immediate ousting) have made their views VERY clear. "This is, has to be, and will be, a line on the sand" - Pat and Hein to have little say in the choices for the Commission. Kimmage and Lemond on standby...

Guys; keep the pressure up, i'm getting a feeling it's starting to actually work...

Not a challenge, but do you have a link?

The politics of trying to fire Hein would have been great to watch. I wonder how much it cost Hein...

The guy they need is Patrice Clerc. He's run ASO's TdF program with a consistent history of promoting a legitimate anti-doping strategy. He's no stranger to big sporting organizations either.

Sylvia Schenk (sp???) would be a good replacement for Pat.

That Danish cycling federation needs more support if their intentions were good.

I have strong doubts that CAS can do anything right after their crazy Contador finding where they pin the problem on something Contador's side explicitly denies and then softens the punishment so he can ride again ASAP.

DirtyWorks said:
link here.
BBC Sport understands that at Friday's UCI management committee hearing there was an attempt by more than one member to force honorary president Hein Verbruggen to resign, but it did not gain enough support and failed.

Verbruggen and president Pat McQuaid, who has been asked to resign in an open letter by America's three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond, have come under intense pressure to stand aside in the wake of the Armstrong scandal. There was no attempt to get McQuaid to quit.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
Not a big fan of the UCI, but this sounds like some good moves. Let's hope they follow up on it.

IMO, it's too little, too late and the have totally begged the questions of accountability by the present and dark period leaders, Dopey and Paddy.

Some questions/issues:
1. Who will be on this independent commission. Who will select them. How will they.be selected? Will they be truly independent or will they be like the "independent" one man investigation into Armstrong's positive 1999 urine samples? Wil their investigation be required to be open to the public and the press? Will all materials and.findings be open to public examination?
2. Why just suspend the legal action against Kimmage? Why aren't Dopey and Paddy also suspending their involvment in the UCI until the independent commission reports its findings? Why no mention of Landis and the default judgment they obtained against him.
3. Why no invitation to Greg Lemond to provide to the UCI and the press any evidence Lemond may have of UCI complicity in doping coverups with Armstrong, USPS or any other riders and/or teams?

thirteen said:
BBC Sport understands that at Friday's UCI management committee hearing there was an attempt by more than one member to force honorary president Hein Verbruggen to resign, but it did not gain enough support and failed.

No surprise at all. The UCI is like the US Congress. They are very insular and will protect their own, especially if they see it as a cash cow for themselves. The importance of the health of the sport is secondary, at best.

These people cannot be trusted, and outside of a scandal along the lines of Jerry Sandusky or OJ Simpson happening to Hein or Pat, they are not going to be removed, and definitely will not resign. The best alternative at this point is to do our best to cut off all funding, all sponsorship, and continue to make as much noise as possible. Here and outside the clinic. Even to the point of harassing leaders in the sport with e-mail bombing and such.

The only other alternative is if a rival cycling league starts, and is able to hook up with the ASO. Don't bet on it. And don't bet on it being whistle clean if it does.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Yeah, I think maybe Pat and Hein got a surprise in their own backyard today. Unfortunately the only thing I can think of when I hear independent report is that silly Vrijmen report.

Yeah this is what I've been saying...another Vrijman report. Hein is a very crafty *******, he's not going to take this lying down. He's going to use every trick he's learned during his pathetic career to influence this new commission's report.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
No surprise at all. The UCI is like the US Congress. They are very insular and will protect their own, especially if they see it as a cash cow for themselves. The importance of the health of the sport is secondary, at best.

These people cannot be trusted, and outside of a scandal along the lines of Jerry Sandusky or OJ Simpson happening to Hein or Pat, they are not going to be removed, and definitely will not resign. The best alternative at this point is to do our best to cut off all funding, all sponsorship, and continue to make as much noise as possible. Here and outside the clinic. Even to the point of harassing leaders in the sport with e-mail bombing and such.

The only other alternative is if a rival cycling league starts, and is able to hook up with the ASO. Don't bet on it. And don't bet on it being whistle clean if it does.
I recall that ASO threatened to run the Tour under the sanction of the French Federation and not the UCI back when the UCI wanted more control over who rode the Tour. If ASO and te folks owning the Giro, would tell the UCI to take a walk, it might kill off the UCI. Recall too that ASO also owns many of the Classics as well. The.UCI has just given ASO a major rear end drillijg--seven years of no winners and disqualified winner. That has to hurt their sensibilities and bottom line.

Alpe d'Huez said:
The best alternative at this point is to do our best to cut off all funding, all sponsorship,

This is a solid idea, but Shimano's not going to feel a thing. They more or less own the cycling equipment market. Campag probably is as agnostic as Shimano, only smaller.

I'm not the keeper of ideas here, so if there's any other ideas, post them.

Alpe d'Huez said:

Well, I think if WADA controlled all aspects of anti-doping and there was budget for back-dated testing, I think you would get close to whistle-clean. Revisiting the arbitrary 50% haematocrit threshold issue is important too.

The next UCI needs to resemble a regulatory agency with maximal transparency. That's long on high-minded ideas and short on specifics.

Cimacoppi49 said:
I recall that ASO threatened to run the Tour under the sanction of the French Federation and not the UCI back when the UCI wanted more control over who rode the Tour. If ASO and te folks owning the Giro, would tell the UCI to take a walk, it might kill off the UCI. Recall too that ASO also owns many of the Classics as well. The.UCI has just given ASO a major rear end drillijg--seven years of no winners and disqualified winner. That has to hurt their sensibilities and bottom line.

ASO owns most of the highest visibility events. ASO even owns a part of RCS, the Giro's owner.

I'm sure neither ASO nor RCS care not one bit for being involved in the rule-making of bicycle racing or developing riders for their events. In that sense only, they need the UCI.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
ASO owns most of the highest visibility events. ASO even owns a part of RCS, the Giro's owner.

I'm sure neither ASO nor RCS care not one bit for being involved in the rule-making of bicycle racing or developing riders for their events. In that sense only, they need the UCI.

However, what they don't need is an unchanged UCI that will place thm in the same situation ten years from now. A middle ground.for them might be to demand structural changes in the UCI and the exit of Paddy and Verdruggen once the hoped independent commission discredits the boys. One can hope, but I give the sport a <10% chance of meaningful change.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cimacoppi49 said:
However, what they don't need is an unchanged UCI that will place thm in the same situation ten years from now. A middle ground.for them might be to demand structural changes in the UCI and the exit of Paddy and Verdruggen once the hoped independent commission discredits the boys. One can hope, but I give the sport a <10% chance of meaningful change.

1% chance. Tops and I am not joking.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The management committee almost ousted Hein! They are feeling the heat enough to be looking for a scapegoat and initiating serious damage control. Independent investigation and suspension of the Kimmage case is a definite change in policy.

Of course it's only a change in damage control policy, but it demonstrates that with enough pressure, they can be forced to change ther plans. What's needed is more pressure! Lots more. The have to be pressured into putting the right people on the review panel.....following the reviews reccomendations.....doing other things that will help clean up cycling..... getting rid of Pat and Hein and anyone who voted for Hein to stay.

The point is, they can be made to feel the heat enough that they will respond in some way. Change is possible.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I really hope no one has accepted this UCI decision in any way plausible. Its a sham. A fake. To try to get us off there backs. Im repeating myself now but no more independant reviews. Seen it before, heard it before. **** up Patrick, time to go!!!!!

I Watch Cycling In July said:
The management committee almost ousted Hein! They are feeling the heat enough to be looking for a scapegoat and initiating serious damage control. Independent investigation and suspension of the Kimmage case is a definite change in policy.

Of course it's only a change in damage control policy, but it demonstrates that with enough pressure, they can be forced to change ther plans. What's needed is more pressure! Lots more. The have to be pressured into putting the right people on the review panel.....following the reviews reccomendations.....doing other things that will help clean up cycling..... getting rid of Pat and Hein and anyone who voted for Hein to stay.

The point is, they can be made to feel the heat enough that they will respond in some way. Change is possible.

Almost isn't good enough, and barely counts in Horseshoes.

Honorary President, for life, is a f*cking joke of a situation. And would be absurd even without the corruption.

Dave.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Academy, D-Queued, no argument from me.

The only positive about this news is that the current pressure is getting to them enough that they are responding. It's a glimmer of hope that it might be possible to increase the heat enough to force change.

I Watch Cycling In July said:
Academy, D-Queued, no argument from me.

The only positive about this news is that the current pressure is getting to them enough that they are responding. It's a glimmer of hope that it might be possible to increase the heat enough to force change.

Yes, I agree - and wasn't criticizing you in any way.

Just frustrating that they are still so stupid they cannot even fix the obvious.

Dave.

I'm sure someone will start a thread but six European papers (De Telegraaf, Le Soir, Het Nieuwsblad, The Times, La Gazzetta dell Sport and L'Equipe) are running a joint story today called the Manifesto For Credible Cycling.

This is a translation of it:

Manifesto for a credible cycling

We are a group of newspapers in five countries (Netherlands, Belgium, Great Britain, Italy and France) to continue cycling history for over a century. We love this sport with passion and strongly believe in its future.

We are also very concerned about the current situation. In the long blacklist of doping scandals that have clouded the horizon of cycling in recent years must be added the case of Armstrong, the confessions of several of his former teammates, the report of the American Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) as pointing to a malfunction or complicity of the International Cycling Union (UCI), and disturbing reports have filtered in Padua called research. And in January opens in Puerto trial in Madrid. This recent revelations show clearly that we can not put our faith in the ICU or team managers complicit in the deception. But the failures rest on all families that make cycling.

It seems that things have improved recently. We believe in a new generation of riders, but we believe it is impossible to continue in the same structures, the same operation, the same rules and the same men.

That's why we recommend:

- That the UCI recognizes its responsibilities in the Armstrong case and apologize.

- The constitution, under the responsibility of the Agency (WADA), a neutral and independent commission to investigate the role and responsibility of the ICU in case Armstrong and the fight against doping in general to report errors, abuses and possible complicity.

- That the organization of controls on the biggest races is directly responsible for WADA and anti-doping agencies.

- That the suspension penalties applicable in doping cases are more severe and sports groups pledge not to sign for two years for athletes suspended for more than six months.

- The restoration of the gentlemen's agreement which provides that a broker who is under investigation for doping is automatically suspended for his team.

- A stronger involvement and accountability of the sponsors who fund a team and give it its name.

- Reform of the World Tour, its points system and licensing, maintaining a closed and opaque. We also propose that the licenses are no longer issued to the managers, but the sponsors.

- The celebration of "overall the bike" before the start of the 2013 season in order to define a new organization and new rules.

We sincerely hope that the cycling world will seize the opportunity that is offered to a fundamental reform.

De Telegraaf (Netherlands), Le Soir (Belgium), Het Nieuwsblad (Belgium), The Times (UK), La Gazzetta dell Sport (Italy) and L'Equipe (France)

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

The politics of trying to fire Hein would have been great to watch. I wonder how much it cost Hein...

The guy they need is Patrice Clerc. He's run ASO's TdF program with a consistent history of promoting a legitimate anti-doping strategy. He's no stranger to big sporting organizations either.

Sylvia Schenk (sp???) would be a good replacement for Pat.

That Danish cycling federation needs more support if their intentions were good.

I have strong doubts that CAS can do anything right after their crazy Contador finding where they pin the problem on something Contador's side explicitly denies and then softens the punishment so he can ride again ASAP.
It was a series of tweets from BBC Journo Dan Roan, coupled with some personal info from 'guys that know guys' - hence why it's a bit sketchy - but i certainly believe the gist of it.

Brian Cookson's response

Its up on BC's website:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/bc20121029-Home-Page-Message-From-Brian-Cookson-0

My first reaction is fairly bland, but he is in an important double role and it seems vital we keep up the pressure. He did reply to e-mail:

Thank you for your comments.

At British Cycling, we have had a substantial amount of correspondence on this topic.

I have read them all and I will use your comments to inform my deliberations at UCI Management Committee meetings.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Sent following letter to Brian Cookson , just now ! Wonder if it merits a reply ?

Read with interest the statement of Brian Cookson and ask you forward the following to him in reply :

Sir ,
For months I have been addressing correspondence to a variety of Influential People to address an “ AMNESTY in ALL SPORTS “! Should you have read the “ Donati Report “ , you will see why with the USADA Reasoned Report as a Catalyst there is a Compelling need to “ Drag out ALL PED Product Sources “ for prosecution !

Whilst I agree that not ALL “ Dopers “ should be allowed to avoid prosecution , it will be necessary to be seen to treat ALL Athletes , both past & present , in an equitable fashion ! Those in the supply & Distribution of PED Products deserve prosecution to the limits of the Law . Allowing Athletes that give up their sources , AMNESTY , will create the atmosphere necessary to rid SPORT of those suffering “ Double Jeopardy “ and perhaps “ Blackmail “ ?

The coming generations embarking on a Sports Career should not be influenced by those that suffered until now ! Once Past & Present “ Athletes “ , have cleared their past , Parents will be able to make “ Informed Choices “ as to those that they place their offspring with for Training/ Coaching !

To assist those that influence the likes of John Fahey , I created a “ change.org Petition “ , which so far has received little support :

http://t.co/oFWgsHA7

Should you decide to support this initiative , others will feel emboldened to participate . Of course someone could word the “ petition “ better and I would support their efforts

Sincerely

Skippy Mc Carthy

THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE GENUINE IN THE DESIRE TO MOVE CYCLING FORWARD , WOULD DO WELL TO HELP !

Fortuntely , i do not have to hide behind " pseudnyms or IP addresses !

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
A glaring problem is the fact the guy has been in place for over 15 years which is far too long.

How can new ideas or practises ever surface if defended by a resolute old guard. The chiefs of these fiefdoms will never vote each other out because it leaves them far too vulnerable. Turkeys do not vote for christmas. With guys like him at British Cycling, Pat Mcquaid is safe..

So question - how do you go about changing the articles of British Cycling to elect a new president every four years?

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
skippy said:
Has anyone any info , on what took place in the UCI Meeting , y/day 1st feb2013 ?

Normally there is a press release ?

the twitteruser OCIOverlord/Not Pat McQuaid has hinted the meeting was difficult - indeed, he's hinting pretty strongly that they've had enough and Pat/Hein may be on the outs....we'll see, let's hope.

TRENDING THREADS