• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI, McQuaid, Verbruggen threaten to Sue Landis

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Ok, but what does that have to do with corruption in the UCI, which is what Floyd is trying to point out, right?

Everything. Especially if part of the corruption is an agreement not to take-up the appeal.

I think Floyd is suggesting that collusion exists between the UCI, AC and the RFEC. Corruption.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Everything. Especially if part of the corruption is an agreement not to take-up the appeal.

I think Floyd is suggesting that collusion exists between the UCI, AC and the RFEC. Corruption.

ok, sounds plausible. thanks, cuz i was a bit in the dark there.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
ok, sounds plausible. thanks, cuz i was a bit in the dark there.

Remember, McQuaid was hiding this positive until the Germans exposed it. I'm not sure why WADA had allowed it to go on for so long (as they were supposed to know about it too). I presume that he spent those 2 months planning the details of the fraud. Who would take what action (and when).

Pat knew that this story would break, so he needed to make it look like the UCI was at least trying. He told the Spanish to take their sweet time, render a verdict and then reverse the decision (citing conveniently written UCI rules). Pat planned the entire ruse.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
How strange. What the hell did the UCI expect to achieve with this? Maybe McQuaid is far more stupid than I gave him credit for until now.

McQuaid is pretty smart, actually. He knows that if he stalls for time and stages this Contador scam over time (and spreads it among different players) then most media will forget about it. And the more distractions he can create along the way, the faster he can get away with this AC situation.

That legal threat had nothing to do with Landis. It's a smokescreen to take your eye off of Contador's case. And it worked. The media picked it up and forgot all about Contador (and his link to the situation).

If McQuaid is so damn dumb, then why does he get away with so much?

McQuaid's "evil genius" is that he operates in broad daylight. He robs your house while you're actually in it. You might even be standing next to him while he robs it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

I think Floyd would not have too hard of time proving this, first his reference to the UCI saying it would do no good to crucify Contador then you add this little mentioned fact from yesterday as to a partial reason for aquittal

"L'Equipe reported on Tuesday that there was a procedural flaw early in the case, which violated Spanish law. A letter sent from the UCI to the Spanish federation on November 8 was not also sent to Contador and his legal representatives, the French newspaper said. This was said to be in violation of the Spanish constitution and the “rights of the accused to be informed”.

Gee UCI doesn't want to crucify AC and low and behold they make a procedural error that is in violation of Spanish Constitutional law, which results in his subsequent exoneration. Is that a friggin coincidence or what?!!!! Boy AC was sure lucky the UCI flubbed up on the law:rolleyes:
what are the odds?

As far as Pat & co who are trying to intimidate Landis, their behaviour is always at the mercy of their ego. People like this frequently believe their own PR and have a tendency to take action that is pretty self destructive. Like an ill advised lawsuit to clear their good name(howls of derisive laughter). I can hear the lawyer pleading with them now,

"no no no you don"t want a lawsuit"
"yes we do, we need to teach this guy a lesson"

Now i would have also expected Botany Bay to have posted a pic of Eric Cartman/Pat McQuaid(there is quite a physical resemblance after all) in his faux police uniform screaming
'RESPECT MY AUTHOR-A-TAY!!!!!!!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
McQuaid is pretty smart, actually. He knows that if he stalls for time and stages this Contador scam over time (and spreads it among different players) then most media will forget about it. And the more distractions he can create along the way, the faster he can get away with this AC situation.

That legal threat had nothing to do with Landis. It's a smokescreen to take your eye off of Contador's case. And it worked. The media picked it up and forgot all about Contador (and his link to the situation).

McQuaid's "evil genius" is that he operates in broad daylight. He robs your house while you're actually in it. You might even be standing next to him while he robs it.

no his 'evil genius' is the compliant media who let him in make him tea and cake while he robs them:mad:

without them he'd be a dead duck in the water.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
runninboy said:
Now i would have also expected Botany Bay to have posted a pic of Eric Cartman/Pat McQuaid(there is quite a physical resemblance after all) in his faux police uniform screaming
'RESPECT MY AUTHOR-A-TAY!!!!!!!

And you'd usually be right,
ng544l.jpg
but I'm currently in the dog-house on those images.

BotanyBay said:

Wouldn't it be funny if Floyd had some real hard evidence and all he is doing is waving the red flag to get Verdruggen and Fat Pat to fall into his trap.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
I see old Floyd hasn't been taking Kimmage's advice, then. Still reading the CN like the rest of us incorrigible fools. ;)

It's all just idle threats. I reckon Verbruggen and McQuaid wouldn't actually dare put themselves through the process in the current climate.

This is excellent advise. I would also encourage Landis to talk to anybody that will listen about the inner workings of the UCI..he is a scholar of all things cycling. I also think it's all a card game..Landis probably has a mattress full of cash for yet another legal defense. This Landis is very wily he slips through every legal net that tries to snare him.. Fight on Floyd!! I would wait the 15 days and then hold another press conference..look into the camera and say "bring it on Mother--cker!!"..they wouldn't dare

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
Maybe. But I still don't understand this move. You don't **** with a guy who has nothing left to lose.

They're not F***ing with him. They're doing this
2njhhyd.jpg
So the media will not write as many stories about the Contador acquittal.

That TV interview was last year. And they waited until yesterday to have their attorney issue a demand for a retraction?

They needed a diversion. And they got it.

When Clinton desperately needed a diversion
6ooi1d.jpg
, he got involved in Bosnia.

I might not know squat about blood values or hemoglobin, but I do know when people are playing the media.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
Maybe. But I still don't understand this move. You don't **** with a guy who has nothing left to lose.

McQuaid and Hein are not in this for cycling, they are in it for profit. they live in a country where they work with impunity and free from litigation unless you are a millionaire many times over.......it's only purpose was to distract from the Contador story.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
McQuaid and Hein are not in this for cycling, they are in it for profit. they live in a country where they work with impunity and free from litigation unless you are a millionaire many times over.......it's only purpose was to distract from the Contador story.

Agreed.

But what sort of tactic is it when you hand your 'enemy' a bucket of gas to try to put the fire out?

I can only see this threat as yet another example of how arrogant and detached the upper echelon at the UCI is. It's either blinding arrogance, or outright suicidal stupidity that has made them take this move.

We've already seen Flandis's proclivity to wear a wire for the American investigators a couple of years ago. Who knows what information (in hard copy) Landis may have versus the UCI. The old guard is really over-playing their hand on this one.

Talk about a 'goat show'! At least it won't be dull...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Agreed.

But what sort of tactic is it when you hand your 'enemy' a bucket of gas to try to put the fire out?

I can only see this threat as yet another example of how arrogant and detached the upper echelon at the UCI is. It's either blinding arrogance, or outright suicidal stupidity that has made them take this move.

We've already seen Flandis's proclivity to wear a wire for the American investigators a couple of years ago. Who knows what information (in hard copy) Landis may have versus the UCI. The old guard is really over-playing their hand on this one.

Talk about a 'goat show'! At least it won't be dull...

Floyd's also been known to do (ahem) "some dumb things" when he's downed a few too many, so who knows if Floyd's been dropping e-bombs from across the ocean, pi$$ing them off.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

when are you going to get it through your head that pro cycling is for profit. It's not a faster hybrid of the cycling you did while riding your bike to school. It's always been for money..almost never for fun. Everybody that thinks that the essence of pro cycling is some artistic expression is out of it..it's starts brutal and gets worse ,it's about punishing the other guy. All this warm milk stuff about doing things to make you feel good is BS. Yes McQuaid and all the rest are in this for the cash..not much else. I don't think Verbruggen and McQuaid live in the millionaire/free from litigation/impunity country ...maybe the EU has you confused they are still different countries..you probably lost your sh!t over guys like Wayne Rooney or Roy Keane

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

I simply don't agree that this has anything to do with the Contador situation.

It was sent on the 7th but more-so it was 'leaked' by Floyd.
It is a deliberate attempt to silence Floyd - he has ignored the 'cease and desist' order and this is the next step from HV & PMcQ.

It is an intimidation technique to stop Floyd talking about them in the press.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
So let me get this straight.

This is cause for Verdruggen and McQuack to threaten a lawsuit to defend their honor:
Flandis said:
"As far as the UCI is concerned, nothing about a cover up or taking a bribe or some kind of race results manipulation would surprise me.” Landis told the German station.

But this is cool, yeah?
McQuack said:
“It’s up to sport to police itself,” he told reporters at the Tour of Oman. “I don’t think it should be interfered with by politicians who don’t know the full facts of the cases and then make statements that are purely political statements. I wasn’t surprised when you see it’s Spain. Nothing surprises me that comes from Spain. But it’s disappointing.”

Spain should sue McQuack for impugning its honor. :D

TRENDING THREADS