• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In other 'road' news, GCN's Dan Benson tweeted that Visma have no interest in PFP.......

I wonder if her MTB racing is putting some WWT teams off? Movistar have already stated they 'don't do MTB'. Unless Ineos pull a rabbit out of the hat pretty soon, and announce a WWT team, then who knows where she's off to.

Reactions: jmdirt
I still find it mad, that in the Olympic MTB race, countries are only allowed 2 riders. Why? Yet the road race has a far bigger number. Imagine a max of 5, France/Swiss could take super squads......It's likely both countries will leave World Cup winners behind come July.......
How is that good for the sport?
Each sport, in this case "cycling" is only allotted a certain number of participants across all disciplines at the Olympics. With the addition of events like freestyle BMX the cuts have come at the expense of mostly track racing, but also MTB.

Each sport, in this case "cycling" is only allotted a certain number of participants across all disciplines at the Olympics. With the addition of events like freestyle BMX the cuts have come at the expense of mostly track racing, but also MTB.

Yes, I'm aware of that - but the MTB race is the pinnacle of the sport; I'm not sure that is the case for the road race.....I'd rather that had a smaller field. 40 odd riders for the MTB race doesn't look great, does it?

But don't start me on swimming/ athletics which have numerous events......

It's like they want it to be a sparsely filled course. Very weird and counter-productive to making it a bigger spectacle!

The least they could do is open it up a bit more as well. Have more countries invited, allow a few more riders for the top countries. I mean, if the world champs can do it, I am pretty sure the OG can do it to. Or is it such an afterthought to include XCO at all?
Perhaps they're trying to make it more fair for those starting further back on the grid? In actuality it means they will get a clear view of the podium places as they ride off.

Brazil and the sponsors manage to get 2 world cup races, and none of AUS/NZ had a world cup race for a few years now?

Yeah, that is how the sport (and many others) work. Show the money, and you'll get a round.......I guess there is no money in Aus/NZ for MTB World Cup racing.....
And we know Bec Henderson has said there is little support from Australia for MTB.

However, in an ideal world, you'd have a block of 3-4 World Cup races in the southern hemisphere early in the season; Brazil, South Africa, Aus/NZ

Reactions: jmdirt